Temp crown pain...tough it out?

M

MountainMama

I had my lower first right molar prepped for a crown on Tuesday. It had a small amalgam filling, and showed symptoms of a cracked tooth, but had no spontaneous pain previously. Dentist said that the tooth showed no signs of needing a root canal when he prepped it.

After numbing wore off, my jaw was sore, but no pain in the tooth. Same for the next two days. Friday, I was standing at the sink, cooking, and felt a jolt through the tooth. Not severe, but more like when the endo ice is used. It went right away. I had two more episodes like this, but not as bad as the first. The tooth has a constant "awareness", where it feels a little achy, but I am not getting any jolts with hot or cold liquids, and brushing my teeth does not hurt at all.

The tooth is out of occlusion, and at night, I am wearing a modified night guard so that tooth doesn't touch anything. I also am not chewing on it because I am not supposed to use that side anyway since I had the implant post put in on the 2nd molar.

I called the dentist and told the secretary all my symptoms and that I have a constant "tingly" feeling in my jaw on that side as well. She talked with the dentist and he said as long as the pain isn't severe, to tough it out if I could until I get the permanent crown. If it gets worse, call back.

Does that sound right? Given my history, I am very anxious about the nerve dying, and I called because I figured they may want to put a hold on the permanent crown being made, but she said they would try to get me in sooner if the crown came in earlier.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I'd go with what your dentist suggests, a permanent crown will seal the tooth better and hopefully reinforce the crack.

M

MountainMama

I'd go with what your dentist suggests, a permanent crown will seal the tooth better and hopefully reinforce the crack.
Thank you! I had always thought that spontaneous pain indicated nerve issues. I will tough it out.

M

MountainMama

The pain started radiating up towards my ear, and becoming constant. Tylenol is not relieving it anymore. I called back to the dentist, and they told me to call the endodontist and get it checked before they put on the final crown. They also said that they could not cancel or delay the lab making the permanent crown. I will still be responsible for paying $1200 for the crown, since I will choose extraction and not follow the course of action they recommend (root canal), if the tooth nerve is dying. This aggravates me, because I had requested to wait to do impressions for the permanent crown until after we knew that the tooth would be okay, but the dentist kept telling me that everything looked fine, and that it would be better to get the permanent crown on as soon as possible.

I have hit my breaking point. All this work seems to make my teeth get worse. I scheduled an appointment at the endodontist, but I canceled my permanent crown appointment and canceled the appointment for the other crown prep. I regret doing it, but cannot bring myself to even think about getting anything else done.

I had been slowly getting less afraid of dental work, and had been ready to follow my treatment plan, but now I am terrified again. I am seriously considering canceling at the endodontist next week as well. I don't know that I can go through this. If it is bad, it will just get worse...no need to have them putting endo ice on it and tapping it and aggravating it more.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Forum Buddy
Oh man MountainMama.. I think anyone could hit their breaking point with all this. so sorry all you are going through.. I might just freeze myself and not know what to do. I don't even know what to say . :hidesbehindsofa:

Thinking of you!!

M

MountainMama

Oh man MountainMama.. I think anyone could hit their breaking point with all this. so sorry all you are going through.. I might just freeze myself and not know what to do. I don't even know what to say . :hidesbehindsofa:

Thinking of you!!
I was crying on the phone with the receptionist at the dentist's office. She was sympathetic but there wasn't anything she could do. The receptionist at the endodontist knows me by name now, due to all the work I have had done, and she also was sympathetic and very nice, but I just can't handle any more. I am done. At this point, if any more teeth hurt, I may just schedule extractions at the oral surgeon. At least I skip the expensive procedures that don't work for me. I don't understand why my mouth seems to reject any work that is done.

Dg6300

Dg6300

I am sorry to hear you are suffering. I hope things get better soon.

K

Kns

I’m so sorry!! I don’t know what to say other than I completely understand and am going through similar issues. It makes no sense. One complication or one failure might be frustrating but just the luck of the draw...this ongoing suffering just makes no sense! I’m thinking of you and hoping things turn around fast for you!!

M

MountainMama

I’m so sorry!! I don’t know what to say other than I completely understand and am going through similar issues. It makes no sense. One complication or one failure might be frustrating but just the luck of the draw...this ongoing suffering just makes no sense! I’m thinking of you and hoping things turn around fast for you!!
I know you are going through a similar situation. It is awful, isn't it? Like you said, one or two things going straight to worst case scenario can be handled, but everything goes wrong, one after another, so it seems like there is no end, it is hard to bear.

B

badpatch

This has happened to me. Please please do not do extraction. wait until tooth settles down. This happens when ligament gets torn due to shots. Ask dr to give you something for muscle spasm and it will help u.
I did a mistake thinking 2 of my root canal molars are not settling and opted tooth extraction. problem remained same (earache, head hurting, jaw hurting etc) . Now when they gave me something to relax my muscles i m feeling better. i wish they would have given me muscle relaxer when root canal was not settling. i would n't have gone for extraction.
do give atleast 5 weeks to settle that root canal. do take muscle spasm pill. and wait.

M

MountainMama

This has happened to me. Please please do not do extraction. wait until tooth settles down. This happens when ligament gets torn due to shots. Ask dr to give you something for muscle spasm and it will help u.
I did a mistake thinking 2 of my root canal molars are not settling and opted tooth extraction. problem remained same (earache, head hurting, jaw hurting etc) . Now when they gave me something to relax my muscles i m feeling better. i wish they would have given me muscle relaxer when root canal was not settling. i would n't have gone for extraction.
do give atleast 5 weeks to settle that root canal. do take muscle spasm pill. and wait.
Thanks for giving me your experience. Mine is not a root canal...the tooth was cracked but the dentist said a root canal was not needed. I didn't even think about the jaw ligamament being damaged, though. It was a really painful shot, and I had a red place that bled a little at the injection site, which I have never had before. It kind of scares me, because this was the first procedure/injections I have had done with this dentist, as my original dentist left the practice in January. I hope that was just a fluke painful shot.

I am going to the endodontist on Thursday to get the nerve tested. If it comes out that the nerve has irreversible pulpitis, I will extract. I will not have another root canal. I am hoping it will come out okay, but it is still having occasional random pain in the tooth, as well as my jaw hurting. I cannot open my mouth all the way without a jolt of pain down my jaw.

K

Kns

Badpatch - What muscle relaxer did you take? I have been experiencing similar issues as MountainMama and am getting desperate for anything that will help!

M

MountainMama

Tooth tested at endodontist today and had lingering aching after endo ice. The endodontist said it needs a root canal, but due to my history, and the fact that the tooth is cracked, she said she understood if I wanted to just extract. I have a consult at the oral surgeon on May 10.

B

badpatch

Badpatch - What muscle relaxer did you take? I have been experiencing similar issues as MountainMama and am getting desperate for anything that will help!
I don't know the name but it is for muscle spasm. it makes u
i don't remember the name as i don't have the bottle with me. but it is something ur dentist or ur GP can give u. its quiet common medicine so u can easily get it from ur GP if u tell ur symptoms.

M

MountainMama

Was it Flexeril? I took that last year when I pulled a muscle in my back and the muscle was spasming.

G

Getting Anxious

I hear you MountainMama. I am in the middle of all this that started with a crown prep that supposedly didn't need a root canal. I actually have 2 -one on each side. I'm contemplating extracting both- I, too, cry.

M

MountainMama

I hear you MountainMama. I am in the middle of all this that started with a crown prep that supposedly didn't need a root canal. I actually have 2 -one on each side. I'm contemplating extracting both- I, too, cry.
I was supposed to get the other side done, but canceled it. I am not going through that again. Are yours for sure having irreversible pulpitis? If so, I am so sorry.

G

Getting Anxious

Yes
Yes I actually have 1 on each side- I posted my story on here - I'm very anxious and upset.