• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temp Crowns Fell off - black spots on teeth

22hon

My temporary crowns fell of and the teeth under them have several black dots which are very sensative, and another spot on the very back which has been hurting since I've had the work done. Anyone know what the spots are?

I have not been able to eat on my left side since they did the crown work, even though my dentist has continued to file down the temporary crowns. Is this normal? My teeth feel much better since the temps fell off.

The sensitivity might just be coming from the exposed dentin which is normally sensitive when the temporary is off.

It's best to have the temporary's recemented on to further assess if the teeth will settle down. The sensitivity might have been coming from an inflammed nerve. Now that the temp's are off, less pressure is being directed at the teeth. It's hard to say. Sometimes it can take some time for the nerve to settle down and any pulpitis to subside. Other times lingering pain can be a sign of irreversible pulpitis which could necessitate root canal treatment.

The spots are probably discoloured areas of dentine.

It's not right, unless you're due to have the permanent crowns fitted before the weekend, get back to the dentist and whinge at them.

Back