• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temporarily adding a tooth to a partial question

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, I got #20 extracted and almost a month ago got an implant /graft and membrane. This tooth that is now no longer there, was a tooth my denture attached to and now there is a space there so the metal that attached is just sitting there on top of nothing and attaching to next tooth. My dentist mentioned adding a tooth temporarily so I wouldn't have to go without one for many months until I get the implant crown. He said its easy and quick to just put a temp tooth in there. Is it really easy and any risks to the lab messing up the denture. I know my dentist is always extremely careful.but never had this done and weighing the risks/benefits.

It's pretty simple to do, indeed I used to do it in the patient's house if they were housebound for some reason. Takes about 20 minutes.
The only risk is if the postal service manages to lose your denture on the way to the lab and back, I've had this happen once, wasn't amused!

Lol Gordon about the postal service. Tharlt would not be good. Thankfully my dentist would use a local lab they drive to. Seems they have a guy who does this for them just goes back and forth to lab and dental office

It's pretty simple to do, indeed I used to do it in the patient's house if they were housebound for some reason. Takes about 20 minutes.
The only risk is if the postal service manages to lose your denture on the way to the lab and back, I've had this happen once, wasn't amused!
SAME!
I often would attach in my office but I too once had a lab bend the major connector on an old rpd. So that was a free remake of course.

That was annoying!

My worst experience was doing home visits for an elderly lady who had managed to have her dentures lost in hospital, got to the wax up stage and they were looking great.
It was a nice day so I decided to take my nurse out for lunch after we'd done the home visit. Chucked the dentures in the back of the car and when we came out of the restaurant the sun had melted the blooming things :)
Had to go back to the jaw registration stage and start over... it was fun explaining to the patient what had happened, luckily for me she saw the funny side.

That is too funny. Gordon ???

That was annoying!

My worst experience was doing home visits for an elderly lady who had managed to have her dentures lost in hospital, got to the wax up stage and they were looking great.
It was a nice day so I decided to take my nurse out for lunch after we'd done the home visit. Chucked the dentures in the back of the car and when we came out of the restaurant the sun had melted the blooming things :)
Had to go back to the jaw registration stage and start over... it was fun explaining to the patient what had happened, luckily for me she saw the funny side.
Similar experience two weeks ago. I had recently designed a table for hobby work. The design is somewhat complicated so I decided to make a scale model out of wood strips. For ease of assembly I used hot glue. I left the model in the car in Miami. It melted.

Back