• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temporary Crown Question

JJones86

JJones86

Hi all.

Just have a few quick questions here. I had a temporary crown put on yesterday, Thursday, and I'm having some gum pain around the tooth that was worked on. I've never had a temporary or permanent crown before.

Is this gum pain normal? How long should I expect it to last? Should I contact my dentist on Monday or it's nothing to be concerned about?

They told me to expect the crown to feel rough to my tongue, but it's the gum that's bothering me.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

JJ

Last edited:
It's normal. Preparing the tooth for a crown also involves preparing the gums around the tooth. Be sure to gently floss the area (you should slide the floss between the teeth and then slowly pull out from one side to prevent from dislodging the temp crown) and keep it clean. The healthier the gums around the tooth are, the better the permanent will fit. I always have gum irritation the whole time the temp is on. As long as it's not getting much worse, you are fine.

Hi all.

Just have a few quick questions here. I had a temporary crown put on yesterday, Thursday, and I'm having some gum pain around the tooth that was worked on. I've never had a temporary or permanent crown before.

Is this gum pain normal? How long should I expect it to last? Should I contact my dentist on Monday or it's nothing to be concerned about?

They told me to expect the crown to feel rough to my tongue, but it's the gum that's bother me.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

JJ

Totally normal like Fearful said and she is spot on about the careful flossing so as not to dislodge the crown. temp cement is made to be easily popped off so you need to floss carefully.
Your gums get totally roughed up during the temp crown prep and seating the crown and then after they cement it they dig the excess cement out of your gums. it can be raw and sore for a couple of days. gently rinsing with warm salt water 3 times a day will sooth it and help it heal faster.

Hi.

Thank you both. That really helps. I wasn't sure if I should be worried or not.

They actually told me not to floss around that tooth until I got my permanent. I guess they're worried I might accidentally take the temporary crown off.

Thanks for your replies and support.

JJ

I was also told not to floss around my temp crown as they do come off very easy. :butterfly:

I was also told not to floss around my temp crown as they do come off very easy. :butterfly:

Yes, they told me this also. I'm just going to do what they said and avoid it for now. I don't want to cause any unnecessary problems.

JJ

Hi all.

I just thought of another question.

I have my temporary crown now and go back in 1 1/2 weeks or so for my permanent. My gums around the tooth are still sore. I'm wondering, will I need anestetic for the final crown to be put on?

Do you normally need to be numbed for that part? About how long will the appointment be to get the permanent on?

Thanks.

JJ

Do you normally need to be numbed for that part? About how long will the appointment be to get the permanent on?

Hi,

if the tooth had a root canal treatment before, there is no need for numbing. If the tooth did not have a RCT, it is better to do it with anesthesia.
The appointment for placing the definitive crown should be 30 minutes.

Hi,

if the tooth had a root canal treatment before, there is no need for numbing. If the tooth did not have a RCT, it is better to do it with anesthesia.
The appointment for placing the definitive crown should be 30 minutes.

Hi.

Thanks for your reply.

This tooth did have a root canal treatment before, but my last dentist said the x-ray showed one of the canals was not treated. So, I'm looking at a possible re-treatment on the tooth. I'm still not sure if I want to or need to do that.

What worries me though is that before the temporary crown was placed the tooth was hurting. Then during the crown preparation I needed extra numbing on the tooth. So, that's why I'm concerned I may need to be numbed for the final crown placement.

Thanks.

JJ

Before placing a permanent crown, one must make sure that it sits on a good foundation, meaning a healthy tooth. If there is any problem with the root canal treatment (and from your description it sounds like there is a problem!), it is better to retreat the root canal treatment. Otherwise, the permanent crown will be placed, and once there is a need for RC re-treatment the crown has to be drilled through or be replaced. That would be a shame.

I don't understand why your dentist is putting a permanent crown on the tooth. As Dr Daniel said the tooth should be symptom free and have been successfully treated. Yours isn't if the root hasn't been cleaned out properly :butterfly:

Before placing a permanent crown, one must make sure that it sits on a good foundation, meaning a healthy tooth. If there is any problem with the root canal treatment (and from your description it sounds like there is a problem!), it is better to retreat the root canal treatment. Otherwise, the permanent crown will be placed, and once there is a need for RC re-treatment the crown has to be drilled through or be replaced. That would be a shame.

Hi again.

That's what I was wondering, was whether a re-treatment is necessary. It sounds like it is. Let me just clarify something.

This tooth had the root canal treatment done on it about 2 years ago. It's the first rct I ever had done and it was done by a general dentist. The tooth started hurting about a month ago and I told my dentist at the time. He took x-rays and found that one of the roots had not been treated in the original treatment. He suggested to get the temporary crown because the tooth had chipped and then a couple of weeks later it got worse and became a fracture. I had to stop seeing that dentist due to losing my insurance.

So, when I continued to have pain with the two problem teeth, I called the new office that I had scheduled a new patient exam with. I had the tooth that needed a filling and this one that needed something to keep it from breaking more. Both teeth were causing pain. They got me in last week for an emergency appointment, so they didn't have my complete history. I thought they were just going to fill the one tooth and that I'd have to come back later for the treatment for the fractured tooth.

The dentist I saw last week only saw me for the emergency treatment. My regular dentist with the new office, I haven't even met yet, but he'll be the one to do the permanent crown for me in a week or so.

It was a new office and I was a nervous wreck and I wasn't thinking straight. I just wanted to be out of pain. The doctor said I needed the filling (a composite) and a crown. They said they could do it the same day, so I agreed. Everything happened really fast and I didn't think to ask about the re-treatment at the time.

So now I'm not really sure what to do. The office is going to call me when the permanent crown comes in and they said they can put it on the same day.

I really have issues with root canal treatments and I've never had a re-treatment before. Is this something I need an endodontist for before I get the permanent crown? How long can I wear the temporary for?

The tooth hasn't been hurting me recently. Just the gums around it. This might be partly because I'm not chewing on that side.

Is a re-treatment something I'll need to do sooner or later? Can I not have it done?

I'm very confused. Did this dentist not see the un-treated root in the x-ray?

Thanks.

JJ

Hi all.

Finally got a call from my dentist saying that my permanent crown arrived from the lab. We scheduled the appointment for this Friday, 8/21/15 at 12:15 pm to get the permanent crown put on.

Still waiting to hear on a date and time for my Skype interview for the job. It was supposed to be today or tomorrow, so I hope they contact me soon.

JJ

Good luck for your dental app :clover::clover::clover:

Don't worry about the skype interview they will be in touch, my son had a skype interview a couple of years ago and it went well. He got the job and I am sure you will too, they don't waste time if they don't think you are a suitable candidate. It is a good sign that they are going to skype you :butterfly:

Hi all.

I'm irritated, frustrated and discouraged. Just got a call from my dentist's office. Apparently they scheduled my appointment today with the wrong doctor. The doctor that put on the temporary crown has to put on the permanent crown for me. I don't know why, but I insisted that it was fine with me to have another doctor do it, but they won't do that. So, my appointment has been moved until September 1st. The doctor who saw me isn't in the office all the time, so I have to wait until then to see him.

I did ask the girl I spoke to about the pain I'm having. She said that it's normal with a temporary crown. So at least I found that out.

The other thing is that I'm hopefully going to be starting a new job soon, so I'm not 100% sure that I'll be able to go that day. They scheduled it for 7 am, so hopefully I can go in and go to work after, assuming I've found a job by then.

I'm just really upset with this office right now. Why can't I go and see another doctor?

JJ

Back