• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temporary crown question

Susanne

Susanne

Please excuse the silly question, but are temporary crowns meant to be used only once and then thrown away or are they sterilized and re-used? When I was fitted for a permanent crown the last time, my dentist just opened a drawer that had a few temporaries lying in it and chose one for me to wear until the permanent one came back from the lab. I wondered if the temporaries were sterilized and re-used between patients or if they were for one-time use.

Susanne.

That is a good question.. and I can tell you , I've had many many temp crowns and none where they reached in drawer and pulled out one like you are saying. They always take impressions and are molded just for your mouth . Hopefully the one he used was one time use..

He might have taken a preformed temporary that is sold to be relined and cemented. These are mainly used on front teeth. Temporary fabrication can be a very frustrating procedure for dental offices. I actually gave a lecture on it last week.

Back