• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temporary crown removal anxiety

S

stereoswimmer

Pretty much what it says in the title. I've got my appointment to remove my temporary crown and put in the permanent one in about a week's time. Just wanted to provide some background. I've never really been nervous about visiting the dentist, but the initial fitting appointment was not pleasant at all. The crown is on my back molar (Tooth #18).

The only major work I've ever had done up to this point is having my four wisdom teeth removed, and then braces when I was a kid, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. The initial fitting started as it normally does, and I was surprisingly okay with the Novocaine injections. Then the work began. I was trying to remain calm, but the combination of nasal congestion and my dang tongue made it exceptionally tough for the dentist. I knew that my tongue was moving, I tried to stop my tongue from moving... my tongue wouldn't stop moving. At one point, I'm sure that a shaved off fragment of tooth got caught in my throat because I remember feeling a tickle and then trying to remain still, but just choking and trying not to swallow this tiny little fragment. At last, the dentist said that we should take a break. She was not pleased, and the assistant explained away the dentist's frustration. I apologized and I felt bad, but it just kind of set the tone for everything.

Before starting back up, my tongue was numbed, and that made everything a bit easier. After hearing the warnings of, "I'm trying not to get your tongue with the drill, but if I do, it just means you'll need stitches too," the numbing of my tongue was greatly appreciated.

Now numbed up, I got through the rest of the procedure fine, but when fitting my temporary crown, my teeth bit over my totally numb tongue before the dental assistant noticed. Ugh. Fortunately, there wasn't a lot of damage done there. However, since I didn't bring my nightguard in, the temporary crown popped out after one night.

I was able to get back in the next day to have it refitted. The same dental assistant explained to me that she was going to use a stronger cement on the crown and since I brought my nightguard in, she was able to shave the temp crown down a little bit. Then, without anything to block the pain, the temporary crown is put back into my mouth. I have never felt pain like that, and it happened twice. So after this long story, I've been lucky in the sense that the temp crown has stayed put and while I've got a consistent dull ache, there's no intense pain.

And now, I'm a week out from having the permanent crown put in. After all that, I'm kind of dreading it. I'm going to be switching dentists to the one that my spouse goes to, since this practice has singlehandedly made me anxious about dental work for the first time in my life.

So my question is... what do I have to look forward to in a week? Should I expect pain? The tooth wasn't root canaled, so what should I be looking forward to?

I just had my temporary crown removed last night! The removal is soo easy and took like 2 seconds. They used this thin forcep type tool and it popped right off. Placing the permanent crown was an issue just because my gums around the tooth (which had been root canal’d) were very irritated. The dentist couldnt get it all the way on so she did a temporary cement and i go back on the 4th to Get the permanent re-cemented with permanent cement.

After they remove the temp crown, theyll clean the tooth then put on the permanent crown to make sure it fits. They may take an xray. Then the dentist will cement it and place it on your tooth.

Just wanted to update. I got the permanent crown put in today. The removal was pretty painless. A few wiggles and a pop. It was just the cold air they blew on it to dry it that was a little bit painful. However, that was due to me turning down numbing because I wanted to make sure the fit was okay without being numb. I had the option but said no. Meh.

But other than the cold around the original tooth, everything was all good.

Back