• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

temporary crown

Susanne

Susanne

Is it normal for a tooth with a temporary crown on it to feel sort of tight/achy? It's a very slight feeling of discomfort -- nothing terribly painful -- but I do notice it. I had an old root-canal tooth refilled yesterday and fitted with a temp crown. My dentist had to use something called a matrix band when preparing the new filling -- there was a small bit of new cavity on the back of the tooth behind the root canal filling -- and the band made my gum bleed. He said my gum around the tooth might feel sore for a couple of days and to rinse with warm salt water if needed. I'm wondering if maybe it is referred pain coming from my irritated gum rather than the tooth itself. I would think since it has had a root canal that I would not feel any discomfort from the tooth itself. Also, should I have been given antibiotics for this re-filling/crown procedure or is that just for people with special health issues?

Hi
it sounds as if the dentist thought it may feel a little tender for a few days so I would just give it time to settle
you wouldnt ordinarily have antibiotis for that procedure

In not a dentist, but have 4 crowns (2 were done post-root canal). The crown preparation can involve a fair amount of work around the gum line and i was a bit sore with the temporary crown on even after the RCT. The temporary also not fit perfectly which could also cause a it of irritation. I would say that, unless it gets worse, no need to worry.

Back