• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temporary crowns and pain.

G

getitover

I had some new temporary crowns put on yesterday to wear while I wait on the permanent ones and since then I've been having a lot of pain in one or two of my teeth. I've had temporary crowns on them since the end of July and I've had some dull pain in them before, but none like this.

In the past seven or so hours, I've taken two Advil and two Extra Strength Tylenol and neither have helped much. What could be causing the pain and what can I do to get rid of it?

Why have you had temps for so long? Are you having some major work done? So I assume you had some temps replaced because they were falling apart.

I had to wear temps for about four weeks while waiting for crowns to be sorted and didn't have any pain, but did not feel it was doing my teeth any good. It's not normal to have a great deal of pain and you should go back to your dentist straight away as he will need to adjust them. It could be that the bite is off so to help ease the pain try to relax your jaw and not clench. Bite problems are the only issues that I have found give a great deal of sudden pain to crowned teeth. The only real solution to pain is for your dentist to fix the temps. I find nurofen plus helps me more than normal pain killers. Sounds like you are in the states so I don't know the equivalent brand, but it's a combination of ibuprofen and codeine.

Why have you had temps for so long? Are you having some major work done? So I assume you had some temps replaced because they were falling apart.

I had to wear temps for about four weeks while waiting for crowns to be sorted and didn't have any pain, but did not feel it was doing my teeth any good. It's not normal to have a great deal of pain and you should go back to your dentist straight away as he will need to adjust them. It could be that the bite is off so to help ease the pain try to relax your jaw and not clench. Bite problems are the only issues that I have found give a great deal of sudden pain to crowned teeth. The only real solution to pain is for your dentist to fix the temps. I find nurofen plus helps me more than normal pain killers. Sounds like you are in the states so I don't know the equivalent brand, but it's a combination of ibuprofen and codeine.

IIRC, it was to make sure my gums and stuff were in good shape before they put the more expensive permanent ones on.

I plan to call him as soon as he's open again, if I'm still in pain. Unfortunately, it's the weekend, so I'll have to wait until Monday.

Thanks for your help. :)

It could be due to something they did during the appointment to take the final impressions. Sometimes margins have to be adjusted and the gums retracted with cord to get the impression. That can irritate the area and might explain the pain you're having. If the new temporaries are too high the biting pressure could also be making them sensitive. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot you can do except the painkillers for the time being.

If it gets quite bad you can see an emergency clinic, and they can assess to see whether possibly a root canal or some other treatment might be in order.

Yeah but if its a pain in the actual teeth rather than the gums then a dentist needs to look at them asap just to see what's wrong. You did say it was the teeth that hurt and not your gums didn't you getiover? A badly adjusted bite can give excruciating pain in my own personal experience.

You did say it was the teeth that hurt and not your gums didn't you getiover?

Yeah. There's a little bit of gum soreness on the other side of my mouth, but this feels like it's my teeth.

Not necessarily as sometimes the area can be achey after dental work, but if given some time, it might actually settle down hopefully. Give the office a call on Monday to see what they recommend.

Last edited:
Back