• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temporary Denture Issues (All on 4)

S

Smitty360

Hello everyone. I just found this forum after searching online for support. A week ago I began my all on 4 implant journey. I'm getting the full arch done on the top and bottom. I've needed this for YEARS. I've had bad teeth and gums for 15 years. There's many reasons why I let it get to this point (fear, pain, money, etc), but here I am. I finally was able to get my life together and get this procedure done. I've always read that you can get temporary teeth the same day that's fixed so you can have functional teeth but still stick to a soft food diet.

To my huge disappointment, my dentist did not recommend that in my case. Instead, I've been given temporary removable dentures during osseointegration. That was a HUGE blow to me but I need to get this procedure done and hopefully in 3-6 months it'll be worth it. These things are awful. It's extremely bulky, the upper denture presses against the roof of my mouth making it sore and painful, and the edge of lower denture pinches my gums every so often. This starts to happen after wear it a couple hours. So at work, where im at for 8 hours, its not the best situation for me. It's only been a week and I am extremely miserable. Even when I talk, it sounds like I have a mouth full of marbles when they are in. I'm sure some of it is just me still needing to adjust to it. But the temporary dentures shouldn't hurt, no?

This whole situation has made me severely depressed and I haven't even spoken to anyone in house out of shame and just being down. I'm definitely disappoint I couldn't get the fixed temporary prosthesis. I'm going back to the dentist tomorrow to get these looked at and adjusted. Has anyone else had these issues with temporary removable dentures?

Hi @Smitty360, temporary dentures virtually never fit straight away and will almost always need adjusting, probably several times. Have any adjustments been made yet? If not, get back into your dentist asap!

I’m going back tomorrow. It’s just a very miserable process. I’m just nervous about them pinching my gums. I don’t know if the pinching my gums affects osseointegration. Im so paranoid about implant failure lol. I am so looking forward to the end of this process.

Good to hear that you're going back tomorrow. Why not write down all your questions and bring them in? I find it's really difficult to remember all the things I've been wondering about during an appointment (be it with doctors or dentists), and having a list of questions to ask really helps! Hopefully they will be able to reassure you re. pinching the gums and osseointegration.

Best of luck for tomorrow - hopefully, the fit will be much better after the adjustment :)

Back