• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

temporary denture to big

K

Kellyleekyle

Hi

my son had 10 top front teeth removed under GA last week and a NHS temporary partial fitted before he woke up, I noticed they seemed rather large when i collected him but thought it was the swelling, well its been a week and they are huge, he looks like a horse, they stick out way to much and he can only just close his mouth, reminds me of freddy mercury. he went to the hospital for his check up and they agreed they were to big for him and just told me to see his regular dentist. as he paid £220.00 for these and they have told him he needs to pay this again in a few months for his permanent teeth, will they make him stick with these or will he have to pay again for temps? it dosnt seem right for him to have to pay for more temp that they have made to big for him.

Hi Kelly,
Sorry I do not have much experience with this (hopefully someone else who does will chime in) but as far as I know, they are able to make adjustments to the permanents based on the fit of the temporaries prior to making the permanent set. I think the reason for the temps is to address any problems before they place the perm set. Otherwise, they would just go right to the perm set from the beginning. You can probably put a phone call into his regular dentist just to be sure.

It can be difficult to get temps right when a lot of teeth are removed. It takes planning.
If it is really bad then I would think he would remake them. As to the cost my lab fee alone is more than what you paid for the prosthesis.

Hi

thanks for the replies guys, he paid the £220 NHS charge for his plastic temp, if he was to pay privately for for lab work then obviously they would cost more, but if id paid for them and they were wrong i would expect them to be remade, i dont think just because hes gone through the NHS he should get poor service and be expected to coff up again for their mistake? hes looking to have his final ones made privately anyway as he wants valplast. £440 for 2 sets of crappy plastic temp if ridiculous. ive spoken to my own private dentist today who said the NHS dentist has got to make him a set that is fit for purpose. this lad has really been through enough, hes has a horrific protocol of chemo that ravished his beautiful teeth, left with brain damage from tumour removal gone through the trauma of having his teeth pulled to end up like this. and just because he gets DVLA instead of income support has to pay for dental charges. just not fair.

Back