• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temporary filling

E

Emsymarie

Hi everyone, I have had a severe phobia since I was very young (as bad as me running out of the dentist) and avoided the dentist for almost 6 years. I now go roughly every 2 years. Yesterday I had a hole in my tooth so I went to the dentist as there was the possibility of it having to be extracted/root canal. I was shaking in the chair but my dentist was lovely and I managed it. She drilled ALOT and had to remove lots of debris although she said she thought that my tooth would just need a permanent filling rather than a root or extraction. I go back in late August for X-rays and check up. Anyway since yesterday I have had really intense throbbing all along my right side teeth. I feel a pulsing sensation and it has been extremely uncomfortable. I read online that you should just take meds and see how it goes as it is only the second day but I have been awake most of the night and it feels quite severe. I feel like I am just living for the next pain killer right now :( I really don't want to go back if this is just pain from the drilling so I was wondering if anyone has any advice?. Thank you

If the pain is not managed by ibuprofen and is also keeping you up st night, you should call the dentist and ask if she can check the tooth for you. That is not a normal amount of post-filing pain - at least not from my experience.

If the pain is not managed by ibuprofen and is also keeping you up st night, you should call the dentist and ask if she can check the tooth for you. That is not a normal amount of post-filing pain - at least not from my experience.
I second that. Having post operative discomfort is reasonable but strong pain-not.

Thanks guys, I got some ibuprofen that is helping. Managed to get an appointment on Monday.

Back