• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrible decay, no confidence, want to stay locked away

C

CatUK

I was on here a few years ago. I managed to go to the initial appointment and had my teeth cleaned and xrayed. I hated every minute of it. I suffer from social phobia and anxiety and the dentist I managed to find accepting nhs patients was a training one which I didn't know till after my appointment or I wouldn't have gone. I got a guy who wanted to all my teeth in 10 appointments as he needed to do it fast for his exams. I told him I was anxious and no way could I have injections in my teeth and roof of mouth so fast!! He said they only had their surgery for 3 months as they were all training then the practice would close. So I never went back and yes it closed matter of weeks later.

I hate my life. I got bad teeth as I was agorophobic for 7 years due to CFS/ME. I am now 32 and barely leave the house again as everywhere I go I get people staring at me, talking about my teeth, pulling faces etc and it makes my anxiety worse. Its my 2 top front teeth that are the problem as rotten all across the top and being sticky out much more noticible. I can't face my fear of needles to get it sorted but know I need to as my life is on hold and my teeth are feeling lose lately :( My sister who is not a wuss like me with needles says that the treatment doesn't bother her but the needles are excrutiating, that is what I can't cope with.

Being on benefits I need an nhs dentist so can't be choosy as to finding one who is nice and gentle with me as the waiting list here is 9 months. I can't even find a dentist accepting nhs patients in Blackpool at the moment. I just don't know what to do. I walk everywhere head down, can't enjoy my time when I am out as am aware of trying to keep my mouth closed so no one can see. I am at the stage where I just want to never leave the house again :(

I've even resorted to putting temporary fillings in myself which lasted a few days but no one stared as the black was covered then they brushed out. I know I will need my 2 teeth taking out or at least root canal and I just cannot do it, needles I will not be able to have. And the social part means I can't stand having anyone near me I don't know :(

I'm a lost cause :(

I was on here a few years ago. I managed to go to the initial appointment and had my teeth cleaned and xrayed. I hated every minute of it. I suffer from social phobia and anxiety and the dentist I managed to find accepting nhs patients was a training one which I didn't know till after my appointment or I wouldn't have gone. I got a guy who wanted to all my teeth in 10 appointments as he needed to do it fast for his exams. I told him I was anxious and no way could I have injections in my teeth and roof of mouth so fast!! He said they only had their surgery for 3 months as they were all training then the practice would close. So I never went back and yes it closed matter of weeks later.

I hate my life. I got bad teeth as I was agorophobic for 7 years due to CFS/ME. I am now 32 and barely leave the house again as everywhere I go I get people staring at me, talking about my teeth, pulling faces etc and it makes my anxiety worse. Its my 2 top front teeth that are the problem as rotten all across the top and being sticky out much more noticible. I can't face my fear of needles to get it sorted but know I need to as my life is on hold and my teeth are feeling lose lately :( My sister who is not a wuss like me with needles says that the treatment doesn't bother her but the needles are excrutiating, that is what I can't cope with.

Being on benefits I need an nhs dentist so can't be choosy as to finding one who is nice and gentle with me as the waiting list here is 9 months. I can't even find a dentist accepting nhs patients in Blackpool at the moment. I just don't know what to do. I walk everywhere head down, can't enjoy my time when I am out as am aware of trying to keep my mouth closed so no one can see. I am at the stage where I just want to never leave the house again :(

I've even resorted to putting temporary fillings in myself which lasted a few days but no one stared as the black was covered then they brushed out. I know I will need my 2 teeth taking out or at least root canal and I just cannot do it, needles I will not be able to have. And the social part means I can't stand having anyone near me I don't know :(

I'm a lost cause :(
Hi Cat
I think I remember you from before and remember telling you that your sister is wrong in that dental injections can be entirely painless.
Nevertheless I would suggest given what has happened that you attempt to obtain NHS treatment under i/v sedation just to get yourself sorted out so you can get back on track a bit.
The Blackpool NHS page says where to go to get an NHS dentist/emergency care:
'If you have a dental problem, you should phone your dental surgery.If you do not have a regular dentist, you should contact the Dental Access Service on(01253) 655200. They will help you to register with a dentist and provide urgent dental treatment where it is needed.
This service is available Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.'

OR Go to your medical GP and ask for a referral to Salaried Dental Services (old Community Dental Service) as in many areas they treat phobics in their remit...you are needle phobic as well as dental phobic.

Last edited:
Thanks Brit.

That's the number I called last time and I was put on the waiting list which was 9 months last time. I only found the dentist I went to by pure fluke. I will call tomorrow to get put on the list again but such a long wait. I can see myself locking myself away this summer again.

I feel silly not being able to go to a dentist when millions of people do everyday. I've overcome a lot by getting back out with my agorophobia so why can't I just do this :(

Maybe you could find a friend to go with you as moral support? Do you have family close by?.I could never go to the dentist if I didn't have one of my family members or husband to go with me...Could you find a private dentist to go to? One who would put you on a payment plan? Best wishes on getting the help you need..It will make a difference!

Hi Cat,

Brit is right, there is no reason why an NHS dentist cannot give an entirely pain free injection. They should be able to offer you a little bit of gel or spray onto the area before the injection that numbs it up and then when they actually do the injection if they do it really really slowly you shouldn't feel any pain what so ever.

I had a massive phobia of needles and so understand your fear totally but it does get easier with the right approach and the right dentist. It may feel like your limited in your options because you need to stay as an NHS patient but look into what extra services are available in the area.

Are you getting support with your social phobia and anxiety? If you are then perhaps they are able to help you with your needle fears?

Sparkles

Maybe you could find a friend to go with you as moral support? Do you have family close by?.I could never go to the dentist if I didn't have one of my family members or husband to go with me...Could you find a private dentist to go to? One who would put you on a payment plan? Best wishes on getting the help you need..It will make a difference!

No I have no friends due to my social phobia :( I have my Mum nearby but she's as bad as me with dental phobia so wouldn't be able to go with me. I would have to do it all alone.

I can't afford a payment plan either as being on benefits after my bills I have £10 a week left for food and electric :(

So scared my teeth will fall out before I can get treatment. My mouth is dry all the time too, no matter how much I drink

Hi Cat,

Brit is right, there is no reason why an NHS dentist cannot give an entirely pain free injection. They should be able to offer you a little bit of gel or spray onto the area before the injection that numbs it up and then when they actually do the injection if they do it really really slowly you shouldn't feel any pain what so ever.

I had a massive phobia of needles and so understand your fear totally but it does get easier with the right approach and the right dentist. It may feel like your limited in your options because you need to stay as an NHS patient but look into what extra services are available in the area.

Are you getting support with your social phobia and anxiety? If you are then perhaps they are able to help you with your needle fears?

Sparkles

I have had counselling, CBT, several antidepressants and that has enabled me to go out again and do things I enjoy but then this confidence of people blatantly sitting near me in a coffee shop pointing at me and talking to loud about how horrible I look and pulling faces stops me wanting to go out anymore.

I keep hoping for a lottery win so I can get my teeth done now rather than in months time. I just hated my last dental experience as the guy teaching the students lectured me without even knowing my history. Just told me if we fix these you'd better promise to take care of them this time :(

I had about 7 different student dental nurses and dentists all coming in to have a look and nudging each other. All about 18. Just lowered my confidence more if people who work in that industry can do that

That is horrible they treated you like that....

Hi CatUK,

You are FAR from a lost cause.

I know how you feel...really! Until last month, my top front teeth were a total disaster and just like you I hated the attention they would get from strangers/colleagues/customers.

Facing fear is never easy, of course, but sometimes necessary. When I eventually faced mine (the same as yours), everything got better and easier all at once.

You sound terribly unhappy, which I completely understand and empathise with. But you CAN feel better. You might have to venture a little further north, east, south or west to find an NHS dentist with an available slot, but you WILL find one. Perhaps one of the resident dentists/experienced members here can help?

Steve

P.S. You have amazing spelling and grammar!

Last edited:
Hi CatUK, I'm so sorry that you had such a horrible and demeaning experience :(.

If you are able to travel despite the agoraphobia, it may be worth considering places a bit further afield (as Steve has already mentioned) - some people here travel quite far by public transport to see a good NHS dentist.

You said that you suffer with a very dry mouth. If you haven't already, it might be worth talking to your GP about this, as dry mouth is known to increase decay and there are products which can bring relief (for example Biotene). Maybe your GP could give you a prescription. In many areas of the UK, GPs can also refer you to the salaried dental services which may provide services specifically for people with dental phobia. I couldn't find out online if such a service exists in the Blackpool region, but it may be worth asking your GP about it if you haven't done so already (and if you feel able to approach your GP about this issue).

I really hope you will find a lovely dentist soon :clover::clover::clover:

It's difficult and It has a detrimental effect on our well being. I have terrible teeth and know what its like to see your life of smiles and laughing with confidence slip away because of the way we are perceived by our teeth. Its drained all of the confidence from me. I try to get by but people I knew when I was young say I'm not the me I was confident being back then. I try to hold my head up and just smile to myself, as im not going to let other people make me feel bad for my teeth, I just wont let them have the privilege of seeing them! It's my problem that I need psychological help with and nothing to do with them! You will overcome your fear of needles, you have to believe that, try and get a referral from your GP to a psychologist who specializes in fear of needles first then go from there with them. I was referred to one when I was young for a spider phobia initially so surely there is help for something as sensitive as needles. The funniest thing was I didnt have a real fear of spiders, it was my mum over reacting, I even owned a pet tarantula a few years ago...but on reflection it brought out all the depression at an early age to a professional. Truth be told we are not given the support for something that is widespread but shrugged off. Without money to make everything possible we have to struggle and fight and source help wherever we can. I really hope you get what you need and achieve. Hang in there Kitty! :p xx

Thank you for everyones replies, sorry not been on in a while. Been going through a low patch :(

I have tried looking into NHS dentists who are taking on new patients and for ones on benefits who help with people with anxieties but all I can find is one and it has got some bad reviews so I can't go with that one. I can't travel outside of Blackpool as I haven't done this alone ever.

My 2 top teeth this week have been so dry on the gum line and felt a little loose. I am walking everywhere head down, just hate being stared at.

I am 33 and would love to settle down but no one will consider me with teeth like this. Just wish I could find a dentist who is willing to go slow and if I didn't want my teeth poked at that first appointment I wouldn't have to. Just my last experience has terrified me even more and took a lot to work up the courage to go as it is.

Just wish I could get over my embarrassment and fear of the pain from the needles, drills etc. I just cannot have an injection in the roof of my mouth which my last dentist said I would need :(

Back