• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrible jaw/headache/gum pain but dentist cant find a problem...

G

GrantsV

About once a fortnight I suffer terrible left side head/jaw aches, which eventually subside to gum pain/toothache between my upper left 1st Molar and Canine.

My dentist did RCT to the Canine tooth which half solved the problem, the headaches are half as painful, but they are still enough to ruin my day when they occur.

If I floss between the 1st molar and canine or insert a toothpick the gum streams with blood every time.

My dentists say theres minor gum recession but nothing that should be a problem. X-Rays show no decay. Two dentists cant offer any help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Google for "Cluster headaches". Does that sound anything like your symptoms?

Hi Gordon, thanks for your reply. Cluster headaches are something I've never heard of, the symptoms do sounds similar.
But I am hoping it is something simple like food stuck under the gum. I have been flossing and toothpicking at the area every day for past two weeks and no headaches/jawaches yet. Also been supplementing with salt as low salt diet causes headache symptoms.

Thanks again.

Could it be a TMJ problem? Has your bite altered at all?

Thanks for your reply.

I never considered this before but my bite does close on the headache side first.

Luckily still no headache since toothpicking and flossing aggressively into the area.

Today its jaw/gum ache day...
Grabbed the floss and the gum hurts like hell inside that same place again between 1st Molar and Canine (on the Molar side).

Could it be an abscess hiding just under the gum?

Solved

Could it be a TMJ problem? Has your bite altered at all?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was TMJ trigger points in Masseter muscle inside/outside the jaw. I felt the "toothache" immediately upon massage and pressure therapy. Not had a problem since (its about 3 months since Jan 15th when I last had the pain and I discovered the massage technique). I was so close to losing the tooth, when it had nothing to do with teeth.

Back