• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrible pain after Root Canal

L

lizjackchris

Hi just wondering if anyone has experienced a dull boring ache in jaw after rct. I had a two appointment root canal in a lower molar by an endodontist. The rct was completed in two appointments as the tooth continued to drain during the first appointment. I had no pain in the two weeks between appointments. However after my second appointment when the canals were filled I have had a strong dull ache in the jaw. It has only been 5 days since that appointment but I am ready to just have the tooth pulled. I was originally on Penicillin VK after the first appointment and am now on Clindamycin. I did notice on the x-ray it seemed one of the canals was just the slightest overfilled. I have been back to the endodontist and of course he says his root canal is just fine and to give it time. So frustrated and exhausted from being in pain. How long should I give it? Just so worried it's going to end up being a failed root canal...

It can take time sometimes to heal and be settled. It varies from them being okay straight away to taking days, weeks and in some cases months. Even if a rct fails you may not lose the tooth as a re-treatment can be done.

If you are still on antibiotics sometimes it isn't until the last dose is taken that we get pain free.

Teeth in general are to sensitive lol. I dislike teeth now lol. Now i see why some people get all of them pulled at once to save money down the road lol

Back