• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrible swelling after jaw debridment surgery and bone graft

L

lissysue

Hello all, yesteday morning I had jaw debridement surgery and a bone graft done at the Mayo Clinic on a nonhealing extracion site. Yesterday afternoon, I started developing serious swelling on the side of the face where I had the procedure. I iced it most of the afternoon and day yesterday. I am on clydndamicin and pain meds. This morning it has swollen to something I was not at all prepared for. Does anyone know if this is normal? I've talked to the OM resident on call and am waiting for him to call me back, panicing of course:)

hi
swwelling is quite a common side effect. It will go down in a few days, keep up the icepacks and anti-inflammatories.
Pain should be manageable with OTC painkillers.
best of luck

Thank you so much! I was a bit worried as I didn't even have this much swelling with wisdom tooth extraction.

you're welcome.
Give the clinic a call and let them know.

Already did. I spoke with the OM resident on call and he is having the surgeon call me back just to be sure the advice he gave me is correct.

Back