• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terriffed of all and everything dentist

A

Ali234

Hi,
I am terriffed of the dentist and orthodontist. This is my 5th year with braces. My phobia with the dentist and orthodontist has gotten a lot worse and over the past year or so it has affected my brushing. I have recently began to notice brown stains around the brackets of the braces and i'm scared my teeth are decayed.I know this is my fault but I don't know what to do. Any ideas of how to remove the brown stains and how to get rid of this fear.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Ali -

Have you considered seeing a therapist who specializes in phobias? That would be where I would start.

How long did your Ortho tell you you were scheduled to wear the braces originally?

Hi Ali -

Have you considered seeing a therapist who specializes in phobias? That would be where I would start.

How long did your Ortho tell you you were scheduled to wear the braces originally?

My orthodontist originally told me I would have braces for around 2 years. I got my bottom brace first and it was a year before i got my top brace as I still had a few baby teeth which needed to be removed.
I have considered a therapist but I don't know where to begin or where to find one.

I know how you feel. When I was a child I needed a retainer and I was referred to an orthodontist. The first thing the man said to me is he hates children and I was around 8-10 years old!!!! It traumatized me which added to my fear of dentists.

I would start off reading reviews off of yelp and various other sites. If a dentist is an A-Hole there is bound to be a ton of negative reviews.

I know how you feel. When I was a child I needed a retainer and I was referred to an orthodontist. The first thing the man said to me is he hates children and I was around 8-10 years old!!!! It traumatized me which added to my fear of dentists.

I would start off reading reviews off of yelp and various other sites. If a dentist is an A-Hole there is bound to be a ton of negative reviews.

Thank you! I cant believe he would say that, its just awful. My next orthodontist appointment is tommorow, so that will be fun, i cant even listen to music or text my friends cause they tell you to turn your phone off when you get inside the building which does not help at all. The assistent always wonders why i'm gribbing on to the chair for dear Life.

Back