• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Terrified 24/7 of dying from impacted wisdom tooth infection - please help

L

ldngirl2021

I have an impacted lower wisdom tooth and my appointment for removal is not yet. I’m terrified that in the meantime, it’ll get infected and it’ll spread and I’ll die within a matter of days. There are lots of stories online of people who have. I’ve been rinsing with salt water and the little pain I have is easily numbed with Ibuprofen. What are the chances of this happening?

M

MountainMama

Not a dentist but I can tell you it is extremely rare. For each story you read about it happening, there are way way more where it doesn’t. I had an undetected infection on my front tooth (from a childhood injury that caused the tooth to slowly die over time). When it was discovered it had already abscessed and I had a lot of bone loss from infection. The endodontist said it had probably been there for years and my immune system was keeping it in check. I was a rare case and mine didn’t even affect the surrounding teeth or my sinuses.
You should be fine and it will not spread within days. I have been told by oral surgeons, an endodontist and my dentist that it is very unusual for tooth infection to even affect surrounding teeth, let alone spread beyond that.

L

ldngirl2021

Not a dentist but I can tell you it is extremely rare. For each story you read about it happening, there are way way more where it doesn’t. I had an undetected infection on my front tooth (from a childhood injury that caused the tooth to slowly die over time). When it was discovered it had already abscessed and I had a lot of bone loss from infection. The endodontist said it had probably been there for years and my immune system was keeping it in check. I was a rare case and mine didn’t even affect the surrounding teeth or my sinuses.
You should be fine and it will not spread within days. I have been told by oral surgeons, an endodontist and my dentist that it is very unusual for tooth infection to even affect surrounding teeth, let alone spread beyond that.
Thank you MountainMama, I feel a little better. Though I still am afraid I could be unknowingly having the infection spread and I'll pass away in my sleep or something as in all the stories I've read, it all happened really fast. I'm hoping salt water rinses will keep it at bay

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I've written this on here about a million times it feels like :)

Dental infections are caused by oral bacteria, which are delicate wee beasties and don't do well outside their natural habitat. They can get established in dental infections because of a fairly unique set of circumstances which don't occur elsewhere in the body.

Assuming you have a functional immune system, i.e. you don't have AIDS, Leukaemia or are massively under nourished then your body can absolutely annihilate the bacteria from oral infections very easily.

L

ldngirl2021

I've written this on here about a million times it feels like :)

Dental infections are caused by oral bacteria, which are delicate wee beasties and don't do well outside their natural habitat. They can get established in dental infections because of a fairly unique set of circumstances which don't occur elsewhere in the body.

Assuming you have a functional immune system, i.e. you don't have AIDS, Leukaemia or are massively under nourished then your body can absolutely annihilate the bacteria from oral infections very easily.
Thank you for replying Gordon - I just can’t get rid of the nagging thought that no matter how much I keep that area clean, sugar etc will get stuck and it’ll spread without showing obvious symptoms. There’s always that small chance as shown by news reports of victims. My removal date is months away (I’m in the UK) so hopefully all will be stable until then :(

M

MumOfBoys1985

They would not leave you that long if they thought there a risk it would kill you. Even in the UK, even with covid as it is, they wouldn't do it.

Its very difficult not to let your mind run away with you, when you're so anxious its hard not to convince yourself of things.

Try to think rationally. Its incredibly rare to die from a tooth infection.

L

ldngirl2021

They would not leave you that long if they thought there a risk it would kill you. Even in the UK, even with covid as it is, they wouldn't do it.

Its very difficult not to let your mind run away with you, when you're so anxious its hard not to convince yourself of things.

Try to think rationally. Its incredibly rare to die from a tooth infection.
Thank you. You're right. I just got even more worried as I went to a different dentist today to get another opinion and when I questioned her about chances of dying from a tooth infection, she said it does happen which didn't comfort me at all. Definitely have to not overthink.

M

MumOfBoys1985

What she should have added is "but its very very rare". Not helpful though when they don't offer much in the way of reassurance, even if its just a "dont be ridiculous, thats not going happen".

I have had two abscesses before and I didnt die from either of them 😉 obviously I am just trying to make light of the situation and reassure you, you will be absolutely fine. Am I reading your post right that at the moment you don't have an infection? You will know quite quickly if you get one and you'll probably be able to get antibiotics to tide you over if that does happen. Try not to worry about it in the meantime.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Please give a link to any news story of anyone in the West dying from a tooth infection. I have never ever seen a case where the patient concerned wasn't already very ill.