• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified about extractions, need partial denture

L

Lou234

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here and I'm petrified.

I'm nearly 25 years old and a female, and I've had issues with abscesses and my teeth in general for years. Way too long, because of my fear of root canals/dentists. I know that abscesses are serious problems and I am extremely anxious (so telling me I should have got it sorted out ages ago will not help, I know I should have but we're all afraid of the chair here right??) :redface:

Anyway, it flared up again but this time on the right side on my top incisor. Normally it flares up on the left side. This one was unbearable. I booked an emergency appointment to the dentist and she said it needed to come out. She would have taken it out that day but I didn't want to be without teeth. So I took antibiotics, it swelled up, went down and now it's nearly Thursday, my extraction day.

Here's where it gets tricky. My boyfriend has helped me pay to have my top two front teeth taken out and have a partial denture fitted, but I really REALLY don't want to be without teeth for even a day. I would really want an immediate plate so it helps it to heal.

Would they delay the extraction even longer so I have the chance to have a normal plate? I guess this would cost more though :(

I also don't want to be awake whatsoever for this as I am phobic, and I guess this would cost even more for sedation as well.

So the options are either:

1) Have my teeth taken out and wait weeks, or months, for the gums to heal and have a plate fitted,

or,

2) Get a mould done of my teeth, wait for the immediate denture to be made, then have the extraction which would take longer and the dentist wanted me to have them out quickly.

I am so scared, the last time I had teeth taken out was when I was very young and under GA. I am terrified terrified terrified of the dentist and I really don't want to be without teeth and risk dry socket and live on a liquid diet and not leave the house for god knows how long.

Please help :cry:

Last edited:
Hi :welcome:to the forum.

The first thing to tell you is that we all understand on here how you feel and nobody is going to judge you or tell you when you should have had treatment.

You can wait to have the teeth removed so that you can have an immediate made to be fitted on the day of the extraction. You choose what treatment you have and when not the dentist. I don't know if you are private or NHS but on the NHS the most you would pay for all this work being done is £233.70.

Private charges will vary so I cannot comment on those.

The extraction isn't as bad as you are thinking, they will make sure you are really numb, once you are sure you are numb they will start. There is no pulling or tugging, they will prepare the tooth and left it out. You won't even know it has gone until they tell you. You will be asked to bite down onto a cotton pad this will help the clot form. My dentist said she was putting a plug into the extraction site at this stage and then she put my immediate's in. They make sure they fit and you are good to go.

When I had mine out it was so quick, it took seconds, and easy it took me longer to get numb.

If I can be of any more help feel free to ask away. If I were you I would cancel the Thursday appointment and get the immediate's made if that is what you would rather do.

Good luck let us know how you get on, don't get too stressed out with all this. Do it how you feel happiest :butterfly:

I would take a impression, extract the teeth and on the same day deliver an essix retainer with two teeth just for looks then replace with a better appliance after it has healed well. These can be made in the office at a low cost and serve well for short term aesthetics.

Back