• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

terrified again!!!! wisdom teeth post op pus?

A

Angeloutkast

i had my wisdom teeth out 8th july all 4 under GA at hospital
i had dissolvable stitches
i was given amoxicillin BEFORE the op 500mg 3x a day for 5 days they finished on the 5th july
on the 8th july AFTER my op i was given metridonzale 200mg 3x day for 5 days finished those 13th july

now my problem is and why im scared is i read loads of places here that "white stuff on extraction site is normal" so i saw some white stuff on saturday when i could finally open my mouth properly and thought yay its all finally going well - now just after dinner i have rinsed my mouth maybe a bit to hard and some of that stuff came out of one side and i felt like i swallowed a bit on the other side (the other side felt like it had a lump for a few days which is now gone)
thing is the stuff that did comee out wasnt white or "formed" it was like thick mucus dark yellow so obvioulsy i am now convinced i have an infection in both lower sockets and i am terrified - all the antibiotics ive had over teh last 2 weeks are not going help any they try to give me now is it??? they are the only 2 antibiotics i can take!!!!! im so scared ive had intermittent pain over teh last few days not gruelling but there but because it kept going i thought it was like growing pain or healing pain and started to ignore it - ive just tried ringing my dentist they shut and directed me to 111 who told me only dentist avable wont see me as its to late!!!! so got to wait till morning now and im already crying with fear god knows what state ill be in the morning i am actually sitting here holding salt water in my mouth - the amount of cleaning i have done for teh last 2 weeks is riduculous and i have only practically eaten mashed potatoe for fear of getting anything in the sockets and causing infections!!!!

pus cant be normal is it?
im so scared obviously im going to the dentist tomorrrow as i think i more scared of the infection than i am of him but to be honest he isnt taht sympathethic and i am quite scared that he will just send me away with saltwater washes!! and prayers!!!
any advice or help here would be appreciated i dont get to see the surgeon again now i have to go to my own dentist for any help
the surgeons are attached to the hospital and only do teh op any follow up is by normal dentists and mine is quite young i wonder does he know what he see's?
sorry for the long post!!!!
just feeling scared alone and vunerable right now and vry tearful again!!!
i just so cant wat for this to be over i never realised oral surgery would be so traumatic there is so much to worry about!!! and the hunger isnt helping!

Try and calm down you say you aren't in a lot of pain so that is a bonus. Nothing will happen to you from now until tomorrow. The dentist will know if it is infected or not.

If he wasn't qualified he wouldn't be doing the job. I would be looking for a different dentist if you feel uncomfortable with the one you are with now. But first see them tomorrow and if you need any further treatment then it can be addressed.

If you need more antibiotics you will be able to have them, it does take time for things to recover and I think in the next week you will begin to feel much better. I think if you don't have a nasty taste you may not have any infection but I am not a dentist and it is best you see yours tomorrow.

Let us know how you get on :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

hi carole!!
thank you once again
i have calmed down a bit now
doubt ill get much sleep because between worrying about my teeth, my poor cat is out somewhere in the rain i have called shes obviously hiding love her, i live in london and theres lots of urban foxes so wont be happy until i hear her catflap!!!
i think my main concern with my dentist is that he's not actually a surgeon so maybe he dont know the things a surgeon would? or maybe im just being silly and overthinking everything this is my first proper op and i hate anything to do with my mouth!! to be honest before the op i had all sorts of horror visions not one of them included being hungry!!! i did now just have heinz veg soup and chewed the veg!! spent teh last 10 mins rinsing tho but was worth it that was yummy!!!! bit of taste after all that mash i think hunger is not helping me as you told me so the other day i just want these holes to close i know they wont be open forever and thankfully afterwards i wont have to worry about the particular wisdom teeth problem again so 2 bonus' there!!! it just a bit ustrating and difficult at the mo i do feel like im healing sloooooooowly :) but no - i have no awful taste or wanna bang my head of a wall type pain - just am intermittent dull ache which i also have in teh orger teeth but i do clench alot (been told i have TMJ a wiggly jaw need a mouthguard) <<<dont know \aboput all that but i do know i clench ALOT its the anxiety i think which i have anyway but is heightened at the mo it just freaked me out a bit earlier to see the pus wasnt expecting it and i whilst i know i will live the night im not a patient patient lol but you are so kind to respond and with such lovely words thank you so much xx

Try some of the foods on the link there might be something on there to help you. Even though I talk a good tale to myself and other after having a tooth extracted I am exactly the same as you with the worry and stress. I hate the after feeling in my mouth until the hole or holes have gone.

I hope you feel better soon, try not to worry too much, but I know it is hard. It will work out and it will just be a memory soon and as you have said it is a one-off dental procedure:butterfly:

hi again carole,
so I managed to get an appointment with Eastman's (where the oral surgery was referred to) and turns out no puss was stitches he snipped them off now all sorted been rinsing with saltwater and so far so good!!!!
I do tend to over-worry - not a helpful trait! the other side bugging me a bit feels like something in it so I assume there's a stitch lower down that I can't see and I just hope that hurries up and dissolves im not going back again unless it really flares up it's just a dull ache so I am going to go with its working its way out and irritating the socket!!! if is still there the end of next week ill ask my normal dentist to snip it out - if they can? in the meantime going to do lots of saltwater to try help the process!!! and not panic at every little thing!! I have eaten some corned beef mixed with mash was yummy and filling so starting to feel a bit better had fish in butter sauce today!!! starting to be a bit daring with food think its paying off as not so hungry which is probaly helping the panic also!!
thank you so much for your advice time kindness and patience!! xxxxxxxxx

You are most welcome :) I am glad you are okay, I think we all have moments of panic with the after effects of dental work.

I hope you carry on healing well and get to eat plenty of foods you like now. Take it steady and one day you will just feel all normal again. I think it will be quite soon as well. Stay in touch and keep us all posted on how you are doing. You're through the worst bit now :jump::jump::jump::butterfly:

thank you for all your support :)
i think im ok (touching wood)!!!
im starting to benefit from a bit more food am introducing it very slowly
having corned beef with mash again today and some spaghetti hoops - getting braver each day!!!
still not on bread yet - but i did have some rich tea biscuits last night dipped in tea so they was soggy but yummy!!!!!
im will keep you updtaed!! thank you again for all your kindness xxxxx

Welcome to my life. Got my wisdom teeth extract on August 30 and I though I was fine (the dentist who did it also has his MD-nuts). But then my jaw was so sore that I went back on the Friday that it's been a week. Just to find out the nurse forgot to give me a syringe and that I got food stuck in my socket. Then I try opening my mouth but I couldn't feel my chin muscle at all and started swelling the next day during the night. I went back on Thursday and he told me that I got an infection (He did said my socket were BEAUTIFUL the way he would call it lol). So I went back on antibiotic. He made me come back in a week so he can see if the infection was gone. Which it was and my socket were close. I still couldn't open my mouth and another surgeon said to go see him. I went to another one instead since he wasn't available and did an x-ray for him to check. We found nothing which it was a good sign, but he order me to go see the surgeon who did it to make a 100%. I though it was a joke :ROFLMAO:. So I go see him and he walks in taking it seriously :scared:(worry at the same time- oops because of the bruising). So now he decided that I can not leave him until my mouth opens (it is no fun when your surgeon does that to you).

i had my wisdom teeth out 8th july all 4 under GA at hospital
i had dissolvable stitches
i was given amoxicillin BEFORE the op 500mg 3x a day for 5 days they finished on the 5th july
on the 8th july AFTER my op i was given metridonzale 200mg 3x day for 5 days finished those 13th july

now my problem is and why im scared is i read loads of places here that "white stuff on extraction site is normal" so i saw some white stuff on saturday when i could finally open my mouth properly and thought yay its all finally going well - now just after dinner i have rinsed my mouth maybe a bit to hard and some of that stuff came out of one side and i felt like i swallowed a bit on the other side (the other side felt like it had a lump for a few days which is now gone)
thing is the stuff that did comee out wasnt white or "formed" it was like thick mucus dark yellow so obvioulsy i am now convinced i have an infection in both lower sockets and i am terrified - all the antibiotics ive had over teh last 2 weeks are not going help any they try to give me now is it??? they are the only 2 antibiotics i can take!!!!! im so scared ive had intermittent pain over teh last few days not gruelling but there but because it kept going i thought it was like growing pain or healing pain and started to ignore it - ive just tried ringing my dentist they shut and directed me to 111 who told me only dentist avable wont see me as its to late!!!! so got to wait till morning now and im already crying with fear god knows what state ill be in the morning i am actually sitting here holding salt water in my mouth - the amount of cleaning i have done for teh last 2 weeks is riduculous and i have only practically eaten mashed potatoe for fear of getting anything in the sockets and causing infections!!!!

pus cant be normal is it?
im so scared obviously im going to the dentist tomorrrow as i think i more scared of the infection than i am of him but to be honest he isnt taht sympathethic and i am quite scared that he will just send me away with saltwater washes!! and prayers!!!
any advice or help here would be appreciated i dont get to see the surgeon again now i have to go to my own dentist for any help
the surgeons are attached to the hospital and only do teh op any follow up is by normal dentists and mine is quite young i wonder does he know what he see's?
sorry for the long post!!!!
just feeling scared alone and vunerable right now and vry tearful again!!!
i just so cant wat for this to be over i never realised oral surgery would be so traumatic there is so much to worry about!!! and the hunger isnt helping!

That is so weird that you can not see your Oral Surgeon for surgery follow up or questions. I had an Oral Surgeon extract my wisdom teeth this year (so later from me). Were are you from? I'm in Canada and Oral Surgeon does follow up until you are all recover from an surgery (Well the one who did me does). Where I live, I pick the best oral surgeon were no body went back to him (maybe only a week after so he could check if it is fine or not). I went back to him like on the second week of recovery were I got an infection. He did make me come back (it is no fun at all). He decided it last week that he doesn't want me to leave until my mouth opens incase I develop something else or more stuff. I was bruising again and he wants to make sure no bone broke this time.

Back