• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified and anxious

T

Teix

I haven’t been to the dentist in 8 years; I’ve recently made an appointment because my teeth or I guess my gums need help!

I have a massive dental phobia so much so that ringing to get an appointment launched me into a mild panic attack.

Because I haven’t gone in 8 years I have a lot of tartar build up behind my bottom teeth. Ive literally not seen or felt the backs of these teeth years.

I don’t need a dentist to tell me I have gum disease. I can pull my gum away from my bottom teeth fairly easily and I am so scared to know what the state of them is like under all the tartar.

I’m scared that once they’ve been cleaned properly that my teeth will be loose or will just fall out. I’m scared I have bone loss. I’m terrified I’ve left it too late.

The anxiety of it all lately has been too much to bear so forced myself to finally get an appointment. I really don’t know why I didn’t do this in the past? Honestly, why have I let it just build up and up?

My appointment is in 5 weeks so I just need to try and keep ahold of myself until then.

Sorry for the rambling post, my anxiety is a little high today!

I haven’t been to the dentist in 8 years; I’ve recently made an appointment because my teeth or I guess my gums need help!

I have a massive dental phobia so much so that ringing to get an appointment launched me into a mild panic attack.

Because I haven’t gone in 8 years I have a lot of tartar build up behind my bottom teeth. Ive literally not seen or felt the backs of these teeth years.

I don’t need a dentist to tell me I have gum disease. I can pull my gum away from my bottom teeth fairly easily and I am so scared to know what the state of them is like under all the tartar.

I’m scared that once they’ve been cleaned properly that my teeth will be loose or will just fall out. I’m scared I have bone loss. I’m terrified I’ve left it too late.

The anxiety of it all lately has been too much to bear so forced myself to finally get an appointment. I really don’t know why I didn’t do this in the past? Honestly, why have I let it just build up and up?

My appointment is in 5 weeks so I just need to try and keep ahold of myself until then.

Sorry for the rambling post, my anxiety is a little high today!
You made an appointment!! That was super brave!! I have a horrible phobia as well and know I need to make an appt. Im not there yet. But hopefully soon. I have many of the exact same thoughts you do, you are so not alone. There are amazing people here. You can always post what you want and feel, its your journey. Anyway lol just a note to say welcome and that I hope you find this site as welcoming and supportive as I have ?

Hi Teix :welcome: ,

very well done on scheduling an appointment. If this is scary, you're doing it right!
Please don't beat yourself up for not going earlier. Afterall, this is what phobia is about: we fear something so badly that we are simply not able to go, no matter how bad it is. The fear is simply bigger. And by the way, isn't this the function of fear: to keep us away from things that could harm us? In this way, your fear did a great job for you in the past. Until now, where the anxiety about the state of your teeth got more pressing than the fear of the dentist. So far you're doing everything right. You scheduled and that's the only thing that counts.

No matter where your gums are at right now, your dentist will be able to help. Many people fear of the teeth becoming lose once the tartar is gone, but a cleaning is actually the start of healing. Tartar is not holding your teeth together, it's damaging them. Once it's gone, gums will be able to start to recover and your mouth will feel clean and you will be able to feel the backs of your teeth again. It may be a good idea to take this fear with you and share with your dentist. They will surely be able to give you reassurance and some suggestions about how to go about things.

Does your new dental practice know about your fears? Were they nice to you on the phone?

All the best wishes

Does your new dental practice know about your fears? Were they nice to you on the phone?

All the best wishes

Thank you for you post, it’s really helpful! You are definitely right about the tartar harming my teeth; it needs to go

Yes, the receptionist at the dentist sounded lovely! It was my third choice of dentist as the others weren’t taking NHS patients but this one did sound like the friendliest over the phone!

I’ve not had a chance to express my anxiety with them yet but as this will be my first appointment in a new practice I’m hoping the dentist will sit and talk with me for a few minutes - I will definitely be requesting a chat with them first anyway!

Back