• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified and looking for a sympathetic dentist in Cambridgeshire

N

nannafish

Desperately in need of a dentist in Cambridgeshire, I live in Ely, NHS if possible. Worried sick about dentists and have been since a child. Need treatment now but the thought of it makes me so anxious I could sob. Last went 10 years ago because the pain was so bad but not since. I am ashamed of my teeth and fear a lecture. Last dentist wasn't very sympathetic. I need a dentist that can also help with needle phobia. Any help please.:censored:

:welcome: and congratulations on posting here where you are among friends.

We have some info here on needle phobia and how dental injections can be comfortable:

If finding a sympathetic private dentist with TheWand/good injection technique is out of the question, then the best suggestion I can make is to search under your postcode on the BDA Dentistfinder and look for a dentist offering anxiety management or similar.
You can also search for an NHS dentist on your local NHS trust website..some of these may indicate that they offer sedation or other options.
Very best of luck with your search...finding the right dentist for you is key to making progress and alas it is easier to find a sympathetic dentist in the private sector where they can take (and charge for) the time/extra TLC you need.

Last edited:
WELCOME!
I second what Brit said. Here you will find people who understand who you feel. :)

Many thanks for your help and advice. I just need the courage to pick up the phone and make the initial appointment.:(

Many thanks for your help and advice. I just need the courage to pick up the phone and make the initial appointment.:(

Well not necessarily, you have to decide where you might like to pluck up courage to phone - just going anywhere leaves too much open to chance. You should view it like buying a new house....you shop around for one you might like first by looking at Estate Agents' details before you actually bother to view a particular property.
I don't recommedn going to any dental practice totally cold. You have to have a reason to think they might be a good bet for you from other info you have researched. Well that's the approach that seems to work well for most people. If you have any friends who say their dentist is really nice, friendly, painless etc etc then they would be a good bet. Good luck.
:grouphug:

Hadn't thought of it that way. I need to sort this out before I get panicked into going to any-one accepting NHS patients if my teeth get too painfull. The whole thing makes me feel so anxious that it is making my daily life quite horrible. I know I shouldn't feel like this as there are so many more people going through much worse than a visit to the dentist but no matter how hard I try I can't get on top of it. Thanks for your help.

I have just phoned Chequer Hall Dentists and they are taking on NHS patients. Explained to the receptionist that I am v.very nervous and that I have a needle phobia. Assured that they will take good care of me and that a numbing gel is used before all injections. Feel much better by making the initial phone call. I need to get this sorted out for my own mental health. Thanks for the encouragement.

Congratulations:jump:...receptionist's approach sounded very good.

I have to go into the surgery to collect and fill in some NHS forms. They will then put me on their system and phone me to arrange an appointment. At the moment appointments are being made for July and August. It one way this is good because it will give me some breathing space except that I am feeling permanently anxious and hate the thought of weeks feeling like this. I am also, strangely, quite excited (maybe not the right word) about going because I have had this dread for years and I know sooner or later I would have to face up to it and go. It will be lovely not to have to worry about going and the fear of how much treatment I will need. I just need to get through the next few weeks, but I don't know how. Any ideas?:(

I know what you are saying is right but isn't it just the worst feeling day in and day out, constant stomach churning and unable to think of much else. Anyway I will ask if I can go on a cancellation list if poss. if not I expect i'll get through it. Many thanks for your advice. It really helps knowing that I am not the only one who feels likes this over something relatively minor.:(

Thanks for your encouragement. It's really kind of you to take the trouble to reply when you are going through the same thing. I also have lost weight through constant worry but it is the lack of sleep that does me in. I am going to fill in the forms this morning at the surgery and I will then ask for the earliest appt. available. Had thought about trying to get some sort of counselling for this fear. Have you tried it? I hope you get on alright and that all this will soon be over for both of us. Take care.

Went to fill in the NHS forms yesterday but was told that I would not be contacted until September and I may have to wait until late Sept./early Oct. for a first appt. My anxiety levels are really high now and I know I can't wait until then with this awful daily feel of terror. I did ask if I could have the initial consultation privately and the treatment on the NHS but they are unable to do that. Either all private which I don't have the money for or NHS.There doesn't seem to be another dentist in my area (i don't drive) so am unsure what to do.
How did you get on with your visit yesterday, I hope it went alright for you.:(

There is now a little bit of light at the end of this long dark tunnel. I went back on the NHS website and on the off chance phoned the other dentist in Ely even though it did say they aren't taking on any more patients at present. They said they were now and to go and fill in a form after which they would contact me in 2/3 weeks. This seemed better that waiting until October. However, I filled in the form in the waiting room(heart pounding so loud I'm sure they could hear) they then put me on their system straightaway and after I said I was a really anxious patient and couldn't eat or sleep through the worry of it all they gave me an appt. for TOMORROW at 10.50. I have a female dentist to see who will be told that I am very anxious but one look at me in the morning and she will see for herself. Anyway I have just got to get through tonight and once I've had my check-up I will know what treatment is needed. This will be a weight off my mind.:thumbsup:

Nannafish,

That's brilliant, even though I'm sure you're feeling anxious this morning. You can do this, keep focussing on the feeling as you walk out of the building AFTER your appointment.

I'll be thinking of you at that time and sending lots of calming, positive vibes.

Just think in a few hours you'll be home and SO relieved!!
:XXLhug:

Thanks Pippin. I feel just so bad at the moment. Only managed 2 hours sleep and that was the help of some wine. Anyway not long now.:(

I expect you're there right now! I'm sending calming vibes and I so hope you're able to tell us you had a good experience.

The relief when you come out is so worth it!!
The dentist was really lovely and gentle. Unfortunately she was over-running on her appointments so I had to wait an extra 20 minutes. :drool:Not good when you just want to run out of the door. My son came with me and this did help. Will need 2 teeth out and several fillings (she wants to replace some old ones) but feel strangely low. Although I knew I would have to have quite alot of work done I didn't expect it to last over several weeks but I am going to see this through. I have an appointment next Friday and we will discuss what will be done and when. I want to be someone who will eventually be able to go to the 6/12 month check-ups without fear:jump:

Thank-you for your encouragement. It will be so nice to get the whole treatment over and done with. I know the next few weeks will be a testing time for me but it can't be any worse that the months of worrying I've had. I hope your tooth settles down now:). Have you got to have any more work done?

pippin said:
I hope the tooth settles too. It's been 3 days and the tooth is still sensitive. I was hoping for a little bit of improvement, but nothing yet.

If the sedative filling works and the tooth settles, then I have to go for a crown preparation and to have an impression taken and then to have the crown placed.

My next appointment is early July for a review of the sedative filling. But if there's no improvement after two weeks I'm going to ring my dentist and see if we should just go for root canal as I'm sooooo sick and tired of this situation and the never ending waiting to see if it'll be okay.

She said there's a 90% chance of the filling working, so I just have to hope. Until then it's more very careful eating and be very careful what I eat.

Whatever the outcome there's more treatment to come for this tooth and at least 3 more visits.

I'm focussing on that day when it's all done and I can eat whatever I want!!
I hope your tooth has shown some signs of improvement by now. I am just about to get ready for my 9 o'clock appt. Had a sleepless night again but I do not feel as nervous as I did for the first appt. This one is for 1/2 hr so I think the dentist is trying to break me in gently. I just hope she is as nice as she was last week. I'll let you know how I get on but I would really rather none of this was happening at all!:(

Hi Pippin,
I am so sorry to hear that things haven't settled down for you. Months of anxiety is just horrible and you just get worn down. I cry at anything now, a piece of music or sometimes just nothing. My family must think i'm completely mad and I do seriously wonder some days if I will go off my head and it's very hard to keep it together. I can't concentrate, sleep, have no appetite and very little interest in anything. Just getting from one end of the day to the other is very hard work now. I wish none of us had to go through this just to get our teeth sorted.
My appt. went well although I still feel anxious. Have had fillings today plus some treatment for my gums as they are receeding together with a clean. Need 2 teeth out and then I hope that will be it. My new dentist is so gentle and kind. I wish she was around when I was a child then I wouldn't have this dental fear.
Anyway, I do know exactly how you feel and I will return the calming vibes to you next week. Take care.:grouphug:

Hi, Pippin, I hope you are feeling a little more positive now.What day is your appointment? Hope you have a calm weekend. Take care.:thumbsup:

pippin said:
Hey nannafish.....I did it!!

I faced my biggest fear and it was fine.

Just got to hope it all works okay and that I can get my life back on track. Good luck with your treatment. I'll be popping in to this thread to see how you go. If I can do what I did today, so can you. :XXLhug:

xxx
Hi Pippin,
Well done you.:jump: I have 2 appointments left and that should be it. Hope all now goes well for us both.:yay:

Back