• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified beyond words. Please help me.

S

Scared1234

I have an infected tooth, maybe 2 infected teeth. I have an appointment to have them taken out this coming Tuesday. Anyways, ever since February 1st, these teeth have caused ear pain, headaches, itchy ears and throat, swollen weird looking tonsils, and swollen glands in my neck and one on the back of my neck near my hairline. Those symptoms have been present for a month. I'm currently on amoxicillians and have been for 7 days now. The symptoms are still all present. I am terrified because I've been reading that even though the tooth doesn't hurt, the infection can spread to your heart or brain if let go too long. I've let mine go a whole month. I've had no fevers or anything like that. I am so terrified that I let my infection go too long to be fixed by the antibiotics, because so far they haven't helped. During this time when I got my antibiotics I did have an X-ray of one tooth done and the dentist didnt even mention an infection. But what f it didn't show up on it? Please someone.. Anyone help me!!! I've never been so scared! I have a few questions: 1.) is it possible that the infection is too far gone and too bad I be helped with amoxicillian? 2.)since the infection is already affectin my glands and tonsils and ears, could it move to my brain or heart next? 3.) would a severe infection have shown up on that one X-ray? 4) will antibiotics stop the infection at least until I can get it pulled? 5) when I get it out will the infection spread fast to those places? PLEASE HELP ME

When i had my root canaled tooth taken out in Feb it was infected and I didnt even know it was infected or for how long. I wasn't on any antibiotics.. After I had it pulled then the dentist gave me antibiotics...I was and am fine..My medical doctor said infections dont go tooth to tooth..The dentist will clean up the area the tooth was in and most likely give you a different antibiotic like clindamycin to clear up any left over infection where the tooth was...You will not die since you have been on penicillin for awhile..That will keep it from spreading till you see the dentist on tuesday...You will be fine..My husband had a mouth full of infected teeth and never went to a dentist or got antibiotics...He felt sick alot but never had anything bad happen to his head or heart...You will be fine...If you are reallly worried ask the dentist office to call you if they have a cancellation on Monday...If your dentist thought you were in any danger he would have made you come in on an emergency basis...He knows what he is doing..Good luck on Tuesday.....

Thank you so much. That's very reassuring and I appreciate your help so much more than I can say in words.That calmed me down a lot. Do you think it's still okay even though my glands and tonsils are swollen from this infection or does that make it more dangerous? Thank you again

No, it's not more dangerous since you have been on amoxicillin for 7 days..Are you taking the amoxicillin for 10 days? Make sure you take it all....For the entire 10 days...Antibioitcs will start working in about three days after taking and you won't see results right away..Might be you need a different antibiotic..But you still have the amoxicillin in your system fighting your infection..So don't worry..Tuesday isnt that far away..If you are still scared give your dentist a call tomorrow and explain to him what you just said here...See what he says...But I promise you you will be fine and will not die in two days..I know it is scary..Hang in there...

Hi scared1234 please stop panicing I had an abscess for about 20 months that a dentist kept saying wasn't there and that there was nothing wrong with me. Eventually my tooth broke and a change of dentist and an extraction and a rct sorted the problem out.

I felt really ill for the months I had the abscess, I had night fevers and my face used to swell up as well as the agony and pain that go with an abscess.

You will be fine until Tuesday, infections in the mouth usually stay localised within the mouth, even though they cause no end of pain and make us feel terrible. Once the teeth are extracted the infection will clear up, if your dentist feels that you need further antibiotics they will prescribe you some more.

You won't die and the infection won't go to your brain, you are going to be alright. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly: