• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified for anesthesia

S

Sativa1982

Hello, So I have several teeth that are broken, and some that are broken off completely at the gum line. I need to have several of them extracted. I suffer from Low Blood pressure and Low heart rate. I am terrified to be put under using general anesthesia given my medical conditions. However My teeth are very bad. I'm scared I will develop a blood infection if I don't get my teeth dealt with soon
Please help!!

Hi Sativa1982, if GA is what scares you, how about doing the procedure in a standard way, with a local anesthetic (means numbing your gums, like for most dental procedures)?

Hi Sativa1982, if GA is what scares you, how about doing the procedure in a standard way, with a local anesthetic (means numbing your gums, like for most dental procedures)?
Im going to see if they can do that however some of the teeth are very broken and I dont know if they will be able to do that. I also have a reaction to the freezing. Not the lidocaine but the ephidrene that they mix with it.
This makes everything so stressful and scary!

What does your doctor think? My husband's cardiologist told him in no uncertain terms that he should not have anything other than local anaesthetic except in the case of emergency. When he was having bowel issues, and his GP suggested a colonoscopy (with conscious sedation), he was advised that the risk of the anaesthetic was greater than the risk of colon cancer, so until he had a really great need for it, he should not go under. His heart rate is usually in the mid-40's, and he was also told that he would need "temporary pacing", if he ever had to have general anaesthetic in the future. I think that this should really be discussed with your doctor, and not just the dentist.

Because of covid here in Ontario its been super hard to get in touch with my cardiologist. I'm still trying though. I'm going to see if they can just use freezing. The lidocaine alone. Hopefully they can and I will be okay.

Because of covid here in Ontario its been super hard to get in touch with my cardiologist. I'm still trying though. I'm going to see if they can just use freezing. The lidocaine alone. Hopefully they can and I will be okay.

I'm in Toronto, and my husband has had two phone calls with his cardiologist since COVID began. Those were set up though, so I have no idea how hard it would be to contact him with a question. I hope that you can get an answer from yours soon and/or you do it with just a local.

Im going to see if they can do that however some of the teeth are very broken and I dont know if they will be able to do that. I also have a reaction to the freezing. Not the lidocaine but the ephidrene that they mix with it.
This makes everything so stressful and scary!

Getting teeth out sounds scary even without any other conditions, so I see how this is bothering you. To reassure you, removing teeth broken at the gumline level is often much easier than removing “normal” teeth. You can read more about it here. There are also epi-free options for local anesthetic, so your dentist should be able to accomodate you regarding this too. I’m sure there is a way for you to get your treatment safely.

Back