• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified for my cleaning next week

M

MountainMama

I am absolutely petrified about my routine checkup/cleaning next week. With all the issues I have had in the past year, and the fact that my lower left molars and jaw have been hurting the past three weeks, I am almost convinced the cleaning will set off a new issue or cause the nerves to die in the teeth that are hurting now.
The dentist keeps after me to get the lower left first molar crowned, but I am convinced it will lead to irreversible pulpitis just like the lower right first molar. The lower right one wasn't even hurting before thw crown prep and this one aches already!

If I lose anymore teeth on the left, I will have no more teeth to eat with. I won't get my implants for the lower right molars until January, and my front tooth is coming out in the next few months.

I deliberately scheduled my kids cleanings at the same time as mine, so I couldn't cancel but I am terrified!

I can totally relate! Both from the perspective that my teeth and crowns don’t seem to get along and from really getting anxious before cleanings. At least when I’m going in for treatment, I know what I’m in for, with cleanings I always fear the unknown of bad news.

Sending good thoughts your way!!

I'm with you on fear of bad news. like opening pandoras box to start a treatment. I'm more afraid of my teeth than the dentist. :hidesbehindsofa:

I get really anxious before routine cleanings too, so you're not alone. I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask them to take it easy on those lower left teeth, like no sonic water picks and no crazy scraping. I doubt the cleaning could hurt the teeth, but I can see why you're stressed because there is so much going on right now and the last thing you need is another tooth issue. Let us know how it goes next week.

Thanks everyone. The part that is so hard for me is that a year ago I would have been able to recognize this fear as irrational, and even though I would have been nervous, I would have known in the back of my mind that a cleaning isn't going to make my teeth get worse.
After the last few times of something simple setting off my teeth, the fear is no longer irrational. My dentist even told me after the crown prep nightmare that "that doesn't usually happen" and that it was mystifying that my teeth are suddenly so sensitive to any work on them. He was really surprised as he had written off the tooth that went bad after a tiny filling as a fluke.

Definitely not alone here. I never feared the dentist or cleanings. Now I’m terrified. I’m currently waiting for the periodontist for a deep cleaning. That has me terrified beyond belief. Good luck mountainmama, hope all goes well ?

I get anxiety leading to my cleanings as well. I deal with it by never making early in the week appointments. I wouldn't able to sleep well on weekends if my appointment is on Monday. Sunday is usually stressful for many people. So I don't need the extra stress. I usually get in early afternoon on Wed/Thursday to get it done, allowing plenty of time in the morning so I don't feel rushed.

I recently found a new dentist and I am quite happy that I did. The new dentist makes it easier to not missed my appointments with the care that I have received.

I will cancel check up appointments like no tomorrow because I can’t cope with them. Actual dental work as a result of said check ups, I’m absolutely fine. Weird! Best of luck, I need to book a check up but I’ve just had a wisdom tooth out so am putting it off until it heals... that’s my excuse anyway!!!

Definitely not alone here. I never feared the dentist or cleanings. Now I’m terrified. I’m currently waiting for the periodontist for a deep cleaning. That has me terrified beyond belief. Good luck mountainmama, hope all goes well ?

Thanks. I know something is up with my lower left teeth. I don't want to face it.

I get anxiety leading to my cleanings as well. I deal with it by never making early in the week appointments. I wouldn't able to sleep well on weekends if my appointment is on Monday. Sunday is usually stressful for many people. So I don't need the extra stress. I usually get in early afternoon on Wed/Thursday to get it done, allowing plenty of time in the morning so I don't feel rushed.

I recently found a new dentist and I am quite happy that I did. The new dentist makes it easier to not missed my appointments with the care that I have received.

I am lucky with my dentist. He is really good and never makes me feel silly for my fear. My appointment is Thursday, but I actually go in Tuesday as well for impressions for a flipper, since I have to get my front tooth extracted. I am not scared for that appointment. I would actually rather get it over with earlier in the week. I hate thinking about it all week.

I will cancel check up appointments like no tomorrow because I can’t cope with them. Actual dental work as a result of said check ups, I’m absolutely fine. Weird! Best of luck, I need to book a check up but I’ve just had a wisdom tooth out so am putting it off until it heals... that’s my excuse anyway!!!

Mine get scheduled before we leave from the previous check up. My dentist is so busy that checkups are usually 7 or 8 months apart, not 6. I honestly think that if I hadn't scheduled myself and the kids together, I would call and cancel. I know there will be bad news and I don't want any more.

Mine get scheduled before we leave from the previous check up. My dentist is so busy that checkups are usually 7 or 8 months apart, not 6. I honestly think that if I hadn't scheduled myself and the kids together, I would call and cancel. I know there will be bad news and I don't want any more.

Good plan! I don’t have kids to keep me in check :) my dentist wanted to do 3 monthly check ups for a while, that was traumatic. Felt like I was constantly worried about my next visit. Hope yours goes well!

Good plan! I don’t have kids to keep me in check :) my dentist wanted to do 3 monthly check ups for a while, that was traumatic. Felt like I was constantly worried about my next visit. Hope yours goes well!

Yeah, I don't think I could do every three months! That would be terrifying.

I just got back from my cleaning. It went much better than I had expected! First, I got a new hygienist, and she was wonderful! She said she is new to the practice but has been doing this for 30 years. She was so patient and kind! I told her that my teeth were super sensitive right now to any work. She used a different cleaning tool...not the usual brush, but a water jet thing with baking soda. It tasted terrible but took half the time and my teeth feel so clean. It removed stains that I got on teeth that haven't been used in a while.

My dentist was out, but they just hired a new dentist, and she was nice. She is just out of dental school. No cavities, and just a few "watches".

The hygienist said she knows where the crack is...when she used the water cleaning tool on one tooth, I felt it! It surprisingly is not the one that is slated to get the crown, but the 2nd molar. She coated both teeth with desensitizing gel.

So far, no pain worse than what I had going in! She complimented me on my oral hygeine, saying she rarely has patients that don't have their gums bleed when she works on them.

This sounds like a really great visit!! So happy to hear this!!:wow::perfect::cheer2:

I just got back from my cleaning. It went much better than I had expected! First, I got a new hygienist, and she was wonderful! She said she is new to the practice but has been doing this for 30 years. She was so patient and kind! I told her that my teeth were super sensitive right now to any work. She used a different cleaning tool...not the usual brush, but a water jet thing with baking soda. It tasted terrible but took half the time and my teeth feel so clean. It removed stains that I got on teeth that haven't been used in a while.

My dentist was out, but they just hired a new dentist, and she was nice. She is just out of dental school. No cavities, and just a few "watches".

The hygienist said she knows where the crack is...when she used the water cleaning tool on one tooth, I felt it! It surprisingly is not the one that is slated to get the crown, but the 2nd molar. She coated both teeth with desensitizing gel.

So far, no pain worse than what I had going in! She complimented me on my oral hygeine, saying she rarely has patients that don't have their gums bleed when she works on them.
Congratulations on your success with this latest treatment; it just goes to show that there really are decent caring hygienists out there. We just need lots more of them! Hope all continues to go well for you. Simon XX

Back