• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified Newbie looking for some support......

S

Suzi77

So glad to have found this website. Not been to the dentist for over 5 years. Phobia worsened over the years. Last time was told I needed a tooth removing. Didn't go back and managed to keep it this long. Last night a piece of filling came out of the tooth. It's a lower back one. Now the outer side is loose so I have to get it removed this week. So anxious, can't eat or think about anything else. Help!

Hi Suzi, sorry to hear about your situation. Time pressure is not the best thing to fight anxiety but sadly a lot of us phobics do not manage to see the dentist before the situation gets really critical. Having to have it removed this week sounds like you have been to the dentist already and have an appointment, did I get it right?
Are you happy with the practice, do they treat you kindly? Can you define what exactly it is you are scared of? And are you getting any kind of sedation - medication, nitrous?

Sorry for the many questions, the more details we have the better we can help.

All the best wishes, hang on and let us know your thoughts.

Re: Thanks for your reply......

Hi and thanks for your reply. No, I haven't seen a dentist yet. Thinking of going to my GP tomorrow instead and begging her to send me to hospital to have the tooth out under a GA. There is at least one more tooth that needs to come out as well. I am petrified of extractions. I can cope with xrays and checkups and can just about tolerate fillings, but extractions are a complete no go. Just the whole thing: having to sit there whilst someone tries to yank out a tooth; the pain; panicking; the tooth not coming out or breaking up; the hole afterwards. It's just too traumatic to endure....

Hi Suzi, sorry to hear about your situation. Time pressure is not the best thing to fight anxiety but sadly a lot of us phobics do not manage to see the dentist before the situation gets really critical. Having to have it removed this week sounds like you have been to the dentist already and have an appointment, did I get it right?
Are you happy with the practice, do they treat you kindly? Can you define what exactly it is you are scared of? And are you getting any kind of sedation - medication, nitrous?

Sorry for the many questions, the more details we have the better we can help.

All the best wishes, hang on and let us know your thoughts.

Hi Suzi, with a skilled clinician, there should be no pain or yanking. With profound local anaesthesia, the most you should be able to feel is pressure, but not pain. Sadly, occasionally someone will attempt a procedure that's beyond their current skill level. This doesn't mean that all extractions will be traumatic, but it's understandable that you would be reluctant to try again if you've had a bad experience in the past.

In many parts of the UK, GPs can refer you to a hospital/the community dental service without having to go through a dentist first. Waiting times vary enormously though. It's worth asking your GP if you feel that this is the way to go! Have you tried this route previously?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm going to go and see my GP tomorrow to see if I can be referred to hospital.