• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of Deep Cleaning

D

dicyhamilton

Hi all, new here but happy to have found this forum. I had an appointment with the dentist this morning after about 10 years of not going. They recommended deep cleaning (two different sessions for each side of the mouth), which I'm sure I probably need but it sounds terrifying. They explained the process, will obviously be numb, and even offered to give me laughing gas or a sedative pill (not sure which one to take). Can anyone shed some light on your experience with deep cleanings? I'm hoping it won't be as bad as I'm imagining in my head...

Hi there!

I had a deep cleaning 5 years ago. I was terrified as well but it wasnt bad at all! You're numb so you feel nothing. I was prescribed Ativan but for whatever reason it didnt kick in until I got home. I had the laughing gas for fillings and that made me very relaxed.

It's really not bad at all and your teeth will look and feel so clean. My gums got healthy too:)

dicyhamilton,

Deep cleaning,, I know when I heard that word from my dentist/and hygeniest I was scared to death.. it just brought scary thoughts. I freaked myself out and watched youtube videos all night.. bad thing to do... please don't.. I emailed my dentist office that morning , my appt was for the afternoon . I told them I was so scared I wanted to cancel.. I was afraid my teeth would get loose from it and fall out.. well they enouraged me that the hygenist was the kindest and would take good care of me and that wouldn't happen.. Well it couldn't have gone better. I basically feltlike I found a new friend .. she was lovely and kind throughout. I felt no pain, I had local anesthetic. I didn't even feel pain after.. my teeth felt so much cleaner and better. I felt like the greatest victory.. I'm going to try to find my post on it to share :)

Thank you both so much. I'm working on getting everything scheduled, figuring out how much insurance will cover. The dentist said it will take a total of 8 hours, two different 4 hour appointments. Does that sound excessive? How long was your appointment? Hearing from others who has been through this is super helpful as I just have no idea...

My deep cleaning was done in 4 visits. One quadrant per visit but I cant remember how long it took. Probably no longer than an hour. From what can remember they first used an ultrasonic device which also sprays some water to clean away all the build up. After that they use another device to smooth all the areas that were cleaned. I think I also has some medication sprayed under my gums to promote healing. And it really is painless! During and after. I had no discomfort at all.

Back