• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of dental injections had a bad experience before but I need to go!

L

Hey, I'm absolutely terrified of dental injections after having a bad experience with the NHS at a hospital when I was younger when she did the injection it was so painful I had to tell her to stop for a few minutes. I'm terrified the same will happen again knowing my luck. I have a molar with a hole in it it hasn't got deeper in 5 months and it's not painful at all, my gum does hurt though I don't know if it's related anyway I can't even pick the phone up to call the dentist my anxiety is just too much.

Cheers,Jack

Re: Terrified of dental injections had a bad experience before but I need to go!

If the hole in your tooth is small and isn't causing any pain, they might be able to do a filling without an injection. But the longer you leave it, the worse it will get, and the bigger the hole is the more likely they would need to do an injection. So be brave and make the appointment. Apparently a lot of dentists can now do pain free injections.

Re: Terrified of dental injections had a bad experience before but I need to go!

If the hole in your tooth is small and isn't causing any pain, they might be able to do a filling without an injection. But the longer you leave it, the worse it will get, and the bigger the hole is the more likely they would need to do an injection. So be brave and make the appointment. Apparently a lot of dentists can now do pain free injections.

It is quite deep and big the hole across the top is about 2 thirds of the tooth but it doesn't hurt

I'm not an expert, so I don't know if that would require an injection or not. But I do know that a lot of dentists now claim to do pain free injections. It's not the needle going into the gum that hurts, it's when they actually inject the numbing liquid - partly because it's acidic (I think!) and partly because of the volume they inject. Apparently if they inject it very slowly it doesn't hurt.

It's worth telling the dentist how afraid you are of the injections and that you have found them very painful in the past. When I get to a stage in my journey where I have to face having an injection, I'm going to make it very clear to my dentist that I'm very anxious about it, and scared that it will be painful, and hopefully then he will be super gentle!

The thing is, even if I does hurt, it's only for a very short time before it starts to go numb.....that's what I keep trying to tell myself anyway!

If you ignore that cavity, it will only get worse and then you'll end up in pain. Trust me, you don't want that to happen. I neglected a cavity because of fear and eventually the tooth broke and I had to have a root canal. I wish I had faced my fear and just had a simple filling when I first noticed the cavity.

I am a huge needle-phobe (have run out of doctor's office screaming and have even fainted from injections). Prior to having dental injections I thought that these would be worse than any injection I ever could have imagined. I couldn't fathom how I was ever going to be able to live through one (seriously!). That being said, having had more than I can count at this point (and I've had them pretty much in every part of my mouth), I actually find them so much tolerable than other injections. They sometimes take a bit longer, but they are generally painless or, at most, I feel a very quick pinch. I have never felt anything after that. I have almost always had the dentist use a topical numbing agent first (like oragel) -- most will do this and it helps so that you don't even feel the little pinch.

I hope this helps a little to ease your fear! I'm happy to answer other questions of you have them.

Different take:

Facts-
Anesthesia blocks 100% of pain
Anesthesia allows for all types of dental treatment to take place in comfort
Anesthesia is given via injection with needle
Injection technique determine pain level

Results:
Find the right doctor for the injection and the "needle" will become your friend for all the good it can do for you.

Remember dentistry is also an art. We are all different.

Back