• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of Dying Under IV Sedation....

Aurora ,

I had sedation with colonoscopy and endoscopy I did them both on the same day under sedation.. I too went and looked up alot of your tube videos etc.. I was very very scared.. and thinking the worst possible wanting to chicken out. It went very very smoothly with no side effects from the sedatino except a little drowsines but not bad. is there a way you can do this without sedation? if you are worried?

Thanks Kelly, I appreciate your thoughts on it. I just showed my husband some of the horror stories I've read and he has completely changed his mind and thinks I should t have it. I want to have it out just with local but I get bad anxiety, shaking and sweating with epinephrine so I always have non epi local. This debpntist persuaded my to have epi fir my extractions nearly 2 weeks ago and I was fine, I felt a bit shaky, but it was over quickly. The next day I went back to gave my teeth prepped for crowns and I was there 3 1/2 hours, I took a lot of numbing and he'd said that it would be much better to use epinephrine again. But guess what? I kept having more shots and started getting shaky and u felt like I was going to have a full blown panic attack. I just about held on but felt very nauseous.
And then the temp bridge didn't fit so they put this awful looking temp in that thry made in the office and recommended me for iv. It's like the dentist didn't have any faith that I could go through treatment with local and no epi, but I have had 3 root canals done with it and no problems. I'm not nervous to go in and have treatment, I just don't want the adverse affects of local with epi. But I've got to go back this week and somehow get this new temp in my mouth without sedation and I'm worried. Thry said they have to freeze me up again to get the cement off my teeth :redface: and I wish they didn't. I don't want my teeth which are still quite sensitive after being prepped for crowns, disturbed again. Is it normal to freeze up the gums just for that?Sorry I'm going on a bit, I just want it over now, you know? I want to go back to work, to feel confident with my smile and to get through the appointment. :cry::cry:

Thanks Kelly, I appreciate your thoughts on it. I just showed my husband some of the horror stories I've read and he has completely changed his mind and thinks I should t have it. I want to have it out just with local but I get bad anxiety, shaking and sweating with epinephrine so I always have non epi local. This debpntist persuaded my to have epi fir my extractions nearly 2 weeks ago and I was fine, I felt a bit shaky, but it was over quickly. The next day I went back to gave my teeth prepped for crowns and I was there 3 1/2 hours, I took a lot of numbing and he'd said that it would be much better to use epinephrine again. But guess what? I kept having more shots and started getting shaky and u felt like I was going to have a full blown panic attack. I just about held on but felt very nauseous.
And then the temp bridge didn't fit so they put this awful looking temp in that thry made in the office and recommended me for iv. It's like the dentist didn't have any faith that I could go through treatment with local and no epi, but I have had 3 root canals done with it and no problems. I'm not nervous to go in and have treatment, I just don't want the adverse affects of local with epi. But I've got to go back this week and somehow get this new temp in my mouth without sedation and I'm worried. Thry said they have to freeze me up again to get the cement off my teeth :redface: and I wish they didn't. I don't want my teeth which are still quite sensitive after being prepped for crowns, disturbed again. Is it normal to freeze up the gums just for that?Sorry I'm going on a bit, I just want it over now, you know? I want to go back to work, to feel confident with my smile and to get through the appointment. :cry::cry:

Probably about the worst thing an anxious person can do is deliberately seek out "horror stories" about things that have gone terribly wrong with other people. It's as bad as using Google to self diagnose a health problem. You can go from having a head cold to having terminal illness in a few clicks. It's not healthy and it doesn't help anything at all. That being said whether or not you have sedating is completely up to you, all a dentist can do is recommend based on what knowledge he has of you and from you. If you feel you can handle the procedure without Sedation then there's no reason why you should have it. It may even help you with conquering your dental fear to make it through another procedure without. If you're fearful to the point of a full blown panic attack which will be bad for you and prevent the dentist from completing what needs done, you will likely need some form of Sedation whether it be oral or otherwise. You'll feel better once you get the needed work done and can be calmly sitting on the other side of this.

Back