• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of Dying Under IV Sedation....

Aurora10

Aurora10

Hi everyone ,

I'm so glad this forum exists, please help me if you feel you can-I'm so worried.
i have been terrified of going to the dentist for years, after a few bad experiences. I finally found a great dental practice and after going for a check up and then a cleaning, I decided to trust them to sort out my teeth. Last week, I finally took the plunge, I had 3 front teeth extracted and the following morning, 3 teeth prepped for crowns, so I could have a 6 unit bridge. The first appointment having extractions, I was so excited rather than nervous because I was finally doing it! It went really well, even though thry used epinephrine injections which I haven't had for years after learning that thry can cause panic attacks. I've had 3 root canals with non epi and been fine. But my dentist said epinephrine works much better for extractions so I took the chance and said ok. It went fine, I definitely felt buzzed but nothing unpleasant and it was over so quickly. So the next day, I was due to have the front teeth prepped and my temp bridge placed. It was a long appointment (3 1/2 hours) and again, he recommended epinephrine. Well I thought why not but I had trouble getting numb and so as I got more and more injections, I started feeling shaky and sick and panicky. In fact, I spend most of the time fighting of panic and feelings of doom. When it came to fitting the temp, wouldn't you know? It didn't fit so thry had to make up a very basic trey in the office and send the temp back to the lab.
Now, 2 of the teeth that were prepped are hurting on and off and I'm terrified I will need them root canalled! I have to go bs k to the dentist to get this temp removed and the proper temp placed and that will involve injections.
I went to my dentist yesterday, he was lovely, very empathetic and he said my crowns might just need to settle down when the proper temp is placed, so not to worry about having to have them root canalled yet. He seemed very surprised that I'd had root canals done with non epinephrine because he said the effect usually just lasts about 15 mins but I said well, I definitely had non epi. Anyway, he said he really thinks I should get dental sedation for the bridge placement and if I needed root canals because he said it's such a less stressful experience and I've been through s lot with the upper six and he doesn't want me to lose confidence. I also suspect he thinks I might have problems again numbing up.
The practice has just started offering sedation and they've been treating patients constantly and have a waiting list. They charge the recommended fee, which is a quarter of what other practices locally are charging so I'm not concerned that he just wants my money!
Im worried I will have an adverse reaction or die under IV. I know that sounds completely ridiculous and irrational but that's my big fear. What if, being newly qualified they wouldn't know what to do if I went into cardiac arrest or had a bad reaction? I feel so trapped and anxious?I feel so weak, I started out so brave and ready for this big amount of dental work, but now I'm feeling regret and feeling stupid ?.
if I knew that the IV would work AND I'd survive it then I'd happily do it but am I taking a huge risk? The dentist took time to explain how he has advanced life saving skills now he's done the course and how they monitor you constantly but I'm thinking about it constantly. The appt is in a few days-I'd REALLY appreciate any advice you can give, I'm desperately looking for reassurance on this. I am a bit phobic about taking meds, trying anything new etc because I'm allergic to penicillin and I had an anaphylactic reaction to food years ago so I'm scared of being allergic. Please help!
Thank you so much! ?

I soooo understand this Aurora,

The good thing is, your dentist sounds really understanding and good with anxious patients that is really a good thing. Please have a look at these stories from people who've had IV sedation for dental procedures:

I have been through a few sedations for other things the last few years. and was scared every time even to the point of going out and buying cards for my kids in case I didn't wake.. i had my will wrote out and everything, I was so scared. well, everything went just fine, and I work up and didn't have a clue what happened and they did what they needed to. So the end result was just fine,, but the anxiety is VERY REAL ahead of time.. Medicine is scary... dentistry is scary.. but I think the more we gain trust with someone the easier it is to put our care in their hands.. Technology is so amazing to now adays, they have everything they need to make sure we get top care.

I used to do sedation dentistry as a kid, I wouldn't let anyone work on me so they used to sedate me even for cleaning and fillings. I don't remember any of my kid dental experiences until the age of maybe 12. Then they started me with the awful insensitive dentist that started my dental phobic years.

I hope all goes well for you!! and please let us know how it goes.. and the progress ..

Hi Krlovesherkids,

Thank you so much for the reply. I just re-read my post and I see the bad grammar mistakes I made due to nerves and having to rush it because I was taking my kids to school! It's good to know that I'm not the only one out there who has felt like this, and reassuring to know you have had great experiences with sedation!
I totally understand the need you had to write your will, leave cards etc, I was just thinking that I needed to do my will, just in case. Also, I have been on the phone with my older children, wanting them to have a good conversation with me, in case.....And when I'm writing this, I sound a bit neurotic to say the least but like you, I've had several bad experiences and it just really depressed me when things didn't go to plan last week. You know, I'd done the right thing, I'd got the courage to allow myself to get sorted out dental-wise and then it all got so complicated ? Honestly I wish I just could get dentures sometimes and have none of this to worry about haha! But it's so good to know you came out of it just fine and had no problems or memories of the treatment.
Can I ask you, what did it feel like when you got sedated? Did you know you were out of it or did you gradually relax?

Aurora,

The worst part is the thought.. once they come in and give you the sedaton medicine. its like a peaceful warm feeing and you are out , it is so subtle and you don't even know til you are up and like "what just happened" and you are done already :). its pretty amazing how smooth it is.!! Then all the worry is over!! I think its great you are being brave and doing it!! It will be worth it !! :)

Kelly

Katie, that sounds like a dream, I would love that and hopefully it will be the same for me! I'm stuck with this awful temp until my proper one comes back, can't work because I can't talk properly and there's only way and that's forward! As you say, it's the thought of it that's the worst part and I'm probably a classic over-thinker but I have to get this done. Thank you for reassuring me, it really helps to have the support?. I will post how it's gone for sure.

Aurora,,

I am TOTALLY guilty of being a major....... overthinker.. I hate it.. aghhh... :) at least we all have each other to process this all :)

I think being a parent, especially when you're a single parent as I was for awhile, tends to make you more wary and analytical of everything! That can be a great thing but it can also cause problems when we see danger everywhere, I know I'm guilty of that! Yes, having each for support makes it so much easier!?

I had IV Sedation last week and had very much the same worries you are having. I talked it over with my dentist and learned that it really is a safe form of Sedation since you are not asleep or easily roused by the dentist if you do go unconscious. It is all done in a carefully controlled environment and your breathing and heart rate along with your blood pressure are monitored the entire time by a dental assistant. It's easy to give less sedative or more depending on your state of consciousness. The worst part indeed will be the thoughts of it before it happens. Once they begin the drug, you will be done and over quickly and have little to no recollection of ever having been there. What was helpful for me is I asked my dentist for a prescription for Valium to take an hour before my appointment. It really took the edge off my anxiety, so maybe that is something that could help you too.

I had it this week for a full mouth extraction and as far as I am concerned, it is the only way to go. You just go out and then wake up and it's all over and you have no memory of it at all. No side effects other than spending the day kind of fuzzy. I completely trusted the team to stay on top of any problems. I'm sure any dentist who uses sedation stays right on top of your moment to moment condition because I'm thinking they certainly don't want anything to happen to you either! Just try and Zen your way into it and put yourself in their experienced hands. I am phobic about everything dental except anesthesia. Best of luck.

I had IV Sedation last week and had very much the same worries you are having. I talked it over with my dentist and learned that it really is a safe form of Sedation since you are not asleep or easily roused by the dentist if you do go unconscious. It is all done in a carefully controlled environment and your breathing and heart rate along with your blood pressure are monitored the entire time by a dental assistant. It's easy to give less sedative or more depending on your state of consciousness. The worst part indeed will be the thoughts of it before it happens. Once they begin the drug, you will be done and over quickly and have little to no recollection of ever having been there. What was helpful for me is I asked my dentist for a prescription for Valium to take an hour before my appointment. It really took the edge off my anxiety, so maybe that is something that could help you too.

Thank you so much for your reply Anxious76! It helps a lot to hear all these positive experiences?I am too scared to try Valium as well as IV, I hate taking any medication to be honest, which is part of my fear. I sure hope it all goes as smoothly for me as it has done for people who've posted on here:redface:

I had it this week for a full mouth extraction and as far as I am concerned, it is the only way to go. You just go out and then wake up and it's all over and you have no memory of it at all. No side effects other than spending the day kind of fuzzy. I completely trusted the team to stay on top of any problems. I'm sure any dentist who uses sedation stays right on top of your moment to moment condition because I'm thinking they certainly don't want anything to happen to you either! Just try and Zen your way into it and put yourself in their experienced hands. I am phobic about everything dental except anesthesia. Best of luck.

Thanks so much for replying Uards, I'm so glad it all went so well for you-wow, you were so brave to have all those extractions! You're right, I have to put my trust in the dentist and his team. I will be glad when it's all behind me, that's for sure:cry:

Aurora,

The worst part is the thought.. once they come in and give you the sedaton medicine. its like a peaceful warm feeing and you are out , it is so subtle and you don't even know til you are up and like "what just happened" and you are done already :). its pretty amazing how smooth it is.!! Then all the worry is over!! I think its great you are being brave and doing it!! It will be worth it !! :)

Kelly

Im so sorry Kelly, I just realized I called you Katie!

lol Its okay.. :).. could be worse :p. hope you are having a good day

Lol! Well I went to get my screening for iv finalized and I'm booked in for next Wednesday. I am feeling horrified/despairing/calm in turns, I even bored myself after all day thinking about it and reading about it online! The dental assistant who booked me in was nice but when I told her I was scared of something terrible happening, she said yes, there is always a risk as with everything else. So I said well, true but at least it's not a very long procedure and she said well it only takes a minute for something to go wrong :o so that was awkward. But then she said I'm sorry, you're going to be fine, I don't want to scare you! So anyway, after I'd had a little crying session when I got home, I decided that it's going to happen so I may as well just go for it. The chances are overwhelmingly that I will be ok...right?:cry:

Lol! Well I went to get my screening for iv finalized and I'm booked in for next Wednesday. I am feeling horrified/despairing/calm in turns, I even bored myself after all day thinking about it and reading about it online! The dental assistant who booked me in was nice but when I told her I was scared of something terrible happening, she said yes, there is always a risk as with everything else. So I said well, true but at least it's not a very long procedure and she said well it only takes a minute for something to go wrong :o so that was awkward. But then she said I'm sorry, you're going to be fine, I don't want to scare you! So anyway, after I'd had a little crying session when I got home, I decided that it's going to happen so I may as well just go for it. The chances are overwhelmingly that I will be ok...right?:cry:

Hell of a thing for the dental assistant to say to you, I agree. I can relate, the dental assistant told me when I came in for my surgery bring a blanket with me that I would not mind getting blood on. Um...what part about me being terrified to have my procedure done did you not understand? You're telling me I may be bleeding so profusely it will end up in my LAP? Some of these people don't think. I know they have to cover their rear ends and tell us the risk involved, but downplaying it would be fab.

This being said, I am sure you will do just fine. Just make sure to follow your dentists orders on wjatnr do to prepare for your appointment. There is an overwhelming probability that all will go smooth and your next post on here can be a victory dance! I was afraid to take the Valium I was prescribed for my appointment. I'm afraid to take any medications, you and I are a lot alike. My dentist gave me a prescription for 6 and even instructed I take one the night before my appointment so I wouldn't worry myself sleepless. I was too afraid to take it so I didn't. The morning of though I knew there was no way in hell I could sit in the chair without it so I bit the bullet so to speak. I'll be rooting for you and looking forward to your updates! You can do it!

We will be looking to get the report on WEdneday Aurora!!!

Hell of a thing for the dental assistant to say to you, I agree. I can relate, the dental assistant told me when I came in for my surgery bring a blanket with me that I would not mind getting blood on. Um...what part about me being terrified to have my procedure done did you not understand? You're telling me I may be bleeding so profusely it will end up in my LAP? Some of these people don't think. I know they have to cover their rear ends and tell us the risk involved, but downplaying it would be fab.

This being said, I am sure you will do just fine. Just make sure to follow your dentists orders on wjatnr do to prepare for your appointment. There is an overwhelming probability that all will go smooth and your next post on here can be a victory dance! I was afraid to take the Valium I was prescribed for my appointment. I'm afraid to take any medications, you and I are a lot alike. My dentist gave me a prescription for 6 and even instructed I take one the night before my appointment so I wouldn't worry myself sleepless. I was too afraid to take it so I didn't. The morning of though I knew there was no way in hell I could sit in the chair without it so I bit the bullet so to speak. I'll be rooting for you and looking forward to your updates! You can do it!

I know, there is no need to ramp up the fear for us, we have it converted pretty much ourselves! I hope I am doing my victory dance, I feel foolish to be so worried when I read other's success stories, but I keep thinkng I will be the exception and have a bad experience. Yes, so afraid of taking even a regular Tylenol. This started when I had an anaphylactic reaction years ago, made me hyper vigilant. Not much fun:cry: yes, we are alike, it helps to be able to relate, doesn't it? You were brave to take the Valium, you were right to do so, you knew yourself and you followed your instinct.
Thanks, I will definitely let you know how it went. I hope so much it's as good an experience as everyone on here seems to have had!

I will definitely let you know how it went-please Lord let it go as well as everyone else's on here seems to have gone!:)

Actually, I'm not sure I can go through with it now. I've just read some really terrifying posts about terrible side effects experienced by patients having sedation with the type of sedation I'm having, mostly having colonoscopies and other minor procedures and I don't see how I can risk it. So confused and sick with nerves now....?

Aurora ,

I had sedation with colonoscopy and endoscopy I did them both on the same day under sedation.. I too went and looked up alot of your tube videos etc.. I was very very scared.. and thinking the worst possible wanting to chicken out. It went very very smoothly with no side effects from the sedatino except a little drowsines but not bad. is there a way you can do this without sedation? if you are worried?

Actually, I'm not sure I can go through with it now. I've just read some really terrifying posts about terrible side effects experienced by patients having sedation with the type of sedstion I'm having, mostly having colonoscopies and other minor procedures and I don't see how I can risk it. So confused and sick with nerves now....?

Back