Terrified of food getting stuck and causing dry socket or infection after extraction

D

duhfraidycat

I had my wisdom teeth removed on the 17th (Monday) at 8am. My surgeon didn't give any instructions on how to keep the sockets clean other than rinsing twice a day with Peridex until the bottle was empty (which I ran out of this morning). I've been extremely nervous about eating solid food because I'm afraid it will get stuck and cause an infection or dry socket.

Today I finally felt up to eating more solid food (scrambled eggs and some mac & cheese) and OF COURSE some food got stuck in my sockets. I rinsed very gently with salt water but there's some in one socket that just won't come out. I did order a curved syringe on Amazon and it should be here today but I'm afraid to use it because it might dislodge the clot.

When can I be certain that it's safe to use the syringe and not dislodge my clots?

I've had a very good recovery so far aside from this anxiety and I don't want to mess that up. I also don't want to go back to liquidy foods like yogurt.

Surgeon's office is closed today and I don't think this constitutes calling the emergency line for advice.

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Hi,

I believe it is better not to touch the healing process even if food get stuck there. It will not interfere.
I have read in this forum about dentists giving advice about removing food from the socket but I truly believe it is not needed. Let the body heal itself.

D

duhfraidycat

Hi,

I believe it is better not to touch the healing process even if food get stuck there. It will not interfere.
I have read in this forum about dentists giving advice about removing food from the socket but I truly believe it is not needed. Let the body heal itself.

Thank you so much! The little piece of food managed to work itself out after I brushed my teeth. I guess my toothbrush grazed the food and shifted it enough to come up and out.

It's really nerve-wracking to know that food is down there but I'll try not to mess with it in the future. I'll just gently rinse after meals and try not to stress.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member

I was wondering whether the kind of advice after an extraction is depending on the country. In my practice we also advised people to let it all be and not to care about food.

D

duhfraidycat

I was wondering whether the kind of advice after an extraction is depending on the country. In my practice we also advised people to let it all be and not to care about food.

Since I wasn't told one way or another, I guess that's what my surgeon suggests too. I just get nervous about leaving food to fester and get infected.

M

MountainMama

I was told the food wouldn’t make a difference and that your body would deal with it. With one of my extractions, I kept getting food stuck in there, and I had a bone graft so I was really worried about infection. It did either work its way out or got dissolved...not sure which. It did not cause infection. At my checkup several weeks later my surgeon pulled a few pieces out and said I didn’t need to worry about anything.

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
I was wondering whether the kind of advice after an extraction is depending on the country.
I think is basically a teacher in dental school that teaches so. Usually whatever dentists learn in dental school stays the longest.