• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of going to the Perio!

A

Asadian28

Ok so I'm 32 years old, I blew off the dentist for about a decade. however, I've always "somewhat" taken care of my teeth. I would brush 2x a day and floss maybe 3x a week. Sometimes more. I finally went to the dentist and to my surprise I only need a root canal on one of my back bottom molars. All of my other teeth seem to be good to go at this point. However. I have pretty bad gum recession on 4 of my top front teeth. Being idiotic, young, and naive, I used a product called "Swedish Snus" to stop smoking. I used the product for about 3 years, and I always placed the packet in the same spot. It's that spot where my gums have receeded and roots exposed. My dentist recommended I see a Perio for possible gum graft. Going into anxiety mode I asked him if there was bone loss, to which he replied no. "You're young and healthy and still have plenty of dental bone in that area and everywhere else". The gums between my teeth and behind have not receded at all, only the gum directly above my teeth where the packet sat. Anyways I got a referral to a Perio but now I'm terrified. For the past few days I've noticed the gums in the area of my recession burn and feel very irritated. Now I'm terrified the Perio is going to tell me that I have an aggressive infection in that area and they're going to have to pull all of my front teeth!! How likely is that to be the case? This thought has been racing in my mind for awhile now and being as prone to anxiety as I am this is not helping. Thank you all for your help:)

Teeth are pull only if they're terribly broken, fractured or decayed to a point no work can be done on them that is worth doing. Sounds like you don't have much or any of those symptoms. Let us know how your check up go and treatment as well.

Teeth are pull only if they're terribly broken, fractured or decayed to a point no work can be done on them that is worth doing. Sounds like you don't have much or any of those symptoms. Let us know how your check up go and treatment as well.

Ok great thanks! My front teeth are not decayed at all, in fact they're in perfect health. However, My gum in that area is severely recessed to the point of root exposure. The gums/bone between my teeth are not recessed in the slightest, only the space directly above each tooth.

Back