• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of interproximal filling

T

TheTinyDancer

Was diagnosed with tmjd nearly 2 years ago. Have had a lot of issues with regards to pain since then and it's only very recently that I've managed to get the pain under control and being able to eat a fairly normal diet, albeit still soft (was on liquids for a long time). Due to this, I have become extremely dental phobic and I am terrified of anything that could potentially cause more chronic pain issues. My dentist has noticed shadowing between my UR5 and UR6 and has advised I get a filling before it gets bigger. Due to go next week but I am so scared and it's all i can think about. Not of the procedure itself per se but rather the aftermath of either jaw pain or toothache from the filling. I struggle to open my jaw wide (only 2.5 fingers) but the dentist said he can do the filling without my jaw being open. My questions are
1) are interproximal fillings difficult to do?
2) is it really possible to do one without any opening of the jaw
3) are these type of fillings likely to be more painful than other types?
Thank you so much for reading my ramblings and for any advice received

Hi The tinydancer,

1) They are standard daily work for most dentists so your dentists should be able to do these withour breaking into a sweat.
2) 2.5 fingers opening should be sufficient to do this work
3) No

Hope this helps

Lincoln

Thank you so much for the reply @drhirst Really appreciate it! ?

Back