• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Terrified of root canal failure

M

MountainMama

I had a root canal done almost two weeks ago, on the back upper left molar. First root canal ever. It was done over two appointments, 3 days apart. The endodontist had planned on doing it in one appointment but told me I had a sharp curve in one root that needed more time.
FYI, my dental phobia stems from a difficulty getting numb and a history of dentists that have to test that fact. This endodontist thankfully tested it before she drilled, and gave me additional shots, and even so I was in full blown anxiety as she was drilling until she told me she got to the pulp so I could relax.
So two days after the root canal, while on antibiotics, the pain seemed to go away. However I had some very weird symptoms that the endodontist couldn't explain. I had extreme pressure in my sinuses that was painful and waves of pressure right above the treated tooth. I also had a strange fizzing sensation around the tooth, and could feel bubbles at the gumline.
Within four days, I was finished with the antiobiotics (started before root canal), and the pain was back occasionally, but not severe. I went back in and the endodontist said to give it a week or two and put me back on antibiotics.
It has now been a week and four days. The pain isn't consistent, but it is different. Before it was sore when pressure was applied but now there is shooting pain occasionally and still pressure pain. After four days on the new round of antibiotics the pain is less, but I am still taking 600 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours. I also have sinus pain and pressure but no congestion. The fizzy feeling is still there but mostly at night and has spread along my jaw. I have pain above the teeth next to the treated tooth. I am terrified that this is failing and I don't know that I can go through an extraction. My insurance is maxed so I can't afford a $2000 retreatment

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
It could be some kind of weird TMJ type issue from keeping your mouth open for hours for the endodontist, I'd go back to your general dentist and ask them to have a look for you.

M

MountainMama

I am scared to go back to the dentist as well, because they may tell me to go ahead and pull it, or try to talk me into retreatment. Last night I was getting an achy pain after the tooth was exposed to ice water, and then sudden sharp pains that come and go. This morning I woke up with no pain. I popped a 600 mg ibuprofen and am doing okay so far. Could the pain in/above the tooth be related to TMJ? If it was infected still would the pain be constant, or could it come and go like it is doing? The whole experience has brought back my dental anxiety with a vengeance. I had gotten to a point where I was going every 6 months for cleanings, and had no issues. Now I am terrified that I am going to end up having to go through more procedures. I had nitrous oxide to get through the root canal.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Ice water is a funny one, there's no nerve in the tooth to spark off with the cold, TMJ isn't affected by something inside your mouth, so I'm struggling to think of anything. Sorry.

M

MountainMama

Thank you for your help. I am going back to the endodontist tomorrow. In addition, I woke up this morning with severe pain in a lower back molar, on the other side of my mouth from the root canal. My dentist is closed for the rest of the week. I can hardly breathe for the pain, even with ibuprofen. I applied clove oil but it only lasted an hour. I am absolutely terrified now that I will need another root canal. That tooth already has a filling.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mountain mama

Although I don't have any advice, just want to say I sure hope your endodontist can help relieve you somehow and give some answers and this pain goes down for you!!

S

saralou35

I really hope the endodentist has some answers for you x

M

MountainMama

Thank you everyone. I had to have my husband call and make the appointment. I couldn't do it.
He also got me in at his dentist tomorrow to get the other tooth looked at. My dentist is closed until Monday, and the pain has been getting worse. I am wondering if part of a filling on the lower molar came off. The pain is located in a specific spot on the tooth. I covered the spot with some of that temp filling and it has helped to manage the pain somewhat. It feels like there is a small indention right there.

So my fear is intense...two dental appointments in one day, for two different issues. I will NOT be sleeping tonight, even if I wasn't hurting. The funny thing is that since this other tooth has been hurting, the root canal treated tooth has been fine today. Go figure.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow... big day tomorrow... hope you can get some rest and eat something even though its painful,, before you go in to feel well and ready.. We'll be thinking of you for both appts.. and let us know how it all goes!!

M

MountainMama

Wow... big day tomorrow... hope you can get some rest and eat something even though its painful,, before you go in to feel well and ready.. We'll be thinking of you for both appts.. and let us know how it all goes!!
Thank you. I appreciate the thoughts. I will update tomorrow.

M

MountainMama

So I finished ar the dentist, and have a few hours until my endodontist appointment. The dentist appointment did not go well. He couldn't find anything physically wrong with my tooth...no missing filling or crack. There was a tiny cavity starting between the two teeth but he said that shouldn't cause the pain I have been having. So it is a nerve issue, which means another root canal. I can't get one until January, because my insurance is maxed out. But this pain is much worse than my other one I just had done. Not to mention that the other one still hurts so it may have failed. Ugh
So right now I am still numb from the shots he gave me. He said to avoid chewing on that side for awhile. I can't chew on thw other side because of the root canal pain, so I guess I am on a liquid diet, and in pain for who knows how long. This is so disheartening.
I just hope I get better news at the endodontist.

M

MountainMama

So the bad news continues. The endodontist tapped on my root canal treated tooth, and it hurt. She said I needed an apicoectomy, or I could have it extracted. I am terrified of both options, but went ahead and scheduled the apicoectomy for next Friday. I really don't want to lose the tooth.

I will be devastated if this doesn't work, especially since I am paying out of pocket at this point. I am scared about the procedure, because it is just a local anesthetic, so I will be awake. I also can't take ibuprofen until after the surgery, and I finished my antibiotics today, so I will be in pain all week.

S

saralou35

Oh no you poor thing! I’m following this thread as I too think I have a root canalled molar failing on me! I think I would try and save the tooth too as you’ve invested so much into it! I totally understand how terrified you are but I’m sure by doing this procedure the endodentist can see more what’s going on and hopeful save it! I really hope that the procedure works x

M

MountainMama

Oh no you poor thing! I’m following this thread as I too think I have a root canalled molar failing on me! I think I would try and save the tooth too as you’ve invested so much into it! I totally understand how terrified you are but I’m sure by doing this procedure the endodentist can see more what’s going on and hopeful save it! I really hope that the procedure works x
How long ago did you have your root canal?

M

MountainMama

So I have had a new development. At my endodontist appointment, she took a 3D xray to use during the apicoectomy.

Quick backstory: I had my impacted wisdom teeth removed when I was 18. About ten years ago a dentist told me I had an extra wisdom tooth that was small and would probably never erupt or cause problems. It is right next to the molar that had the root canal.

The endodontist called me about 4:30 and said she was looking at my scans and that I need to have that small wisdom tooth removed. She said the 3D scan showed that its roots were touching the root canalled tooth's roots, and that she could not perform the apicoectomy until it was removed.
She did say that it could be causing my pain, though, and that removing it could solve my pain. She can't say for sure and I might have to still have the apicoectomy.

So more expenses. I have to go to an oral surgeon as it involves the tooth being in the bone. The endodontist did say that the wisdom tooth is causing bone loss.

Ugh, the saga never ends. So now I have to call an oral surgeon Monday. At least she had a recommendation for me, which was the surgeon that removed her daughter's wisdom teeth.

S

saralou35

I had my root canal 8yrs ago but have only had a filling on it until now! Two weeks ago I had it permanently crowned. It started hurting to chew on a week ago! The dentist has adjusted the bite twice but it’s not really helped! They haven’t xrayed it yet but I think it’s failing! I have pain in the gum around tooth and a weird feeling / twitching going up into my cheek/nose? I’m so scared right now as I don’t know who to see next as dentist seems very reluctant to do anything! I’m in the uk so don’t have medical insurance I currentlycsee a private dentist! It’s not hurting to chew or to tap though! I’m wondering if it’s a root crack?

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mountainmama..

I'm sorry as well you did not get better news or easier situation.. I hope this will help it too and you can get some relief in the near future. YOu have been through a heck of a lot in recent days!!

M

MountainMama

I had my root canal 8yrs ago but have only had a filling on it until now! Two weeks ago I had it permanently crowned. It started hurting to chew on a week ago! The dentist has adjusted the bite twice but it’s not really helped! They haven’t xrayed it yet but I think it’s failing! I have pain in the gum around tooth and a weird feeling / twitching going up into my cheek/nose? I’m so scared right now as I don’t know who to see next as dentist seems very reluctant to do anything! I’m in the uk so don’t have medical insurance I currentlycsee a private dentist! It’s not hurting to chew or to tap though! I’m wondering if it’s a root crack?
My endodontist told me if it was cracked, it would hurt when tapped. She also said pain in the gum is normal, and told me that mine would probably get aggravated again when they put the crown on, from pushing on the ligaments surrounding the tooth. The only real concern is the heat/cold sensitivity and pain when tapping.

Is yours a top molar? I had sinus issues up until this week. I was told that my roots were extending into the sinus cavity and that any time you aggravate the roots, it can cause the sinus cavity to become irritated.

M

MountainMama

Mountainmama..

I'm sorry as well you did not get better news or easier situation.. I hope this will help it too and you can get some relief in the near future. YOu have been through a heck of a lot in recent days!!
When it rains, it pours, right? Thanks for the sympathy. I am so ready to get back to normal again. It is bad, but I am somewhat happy that the apicoectomy is put off. I want to get out of pain, but the thought of having that surgery, minor as it is, with only a local anesthetic is terrifying! I am praying that the wisdom tooth removal wil solve the problem, and I won't have to get the apicoectomy.

S

saralou35

At least it gives you some hope that the wisdom tooth removal might solve the issue! I’m wondering if my gum pain is still from when she put perm crown on as it did hurt a little when she pushed it on to cement it! The dentist said from a previous X-ray about 2 months ago my tooth (it’s 14 upper molar) is not near my sinus? Is it normal for crown to take this long (2.5weeks) to settle down?