• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of the aftermath of wisdom teeth removal

B

btwnevery2pines

My dentist says that in February 2018 I will need to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. I am very afraid of what will happen after the procedure. I've seen videos of people who say crazy or innapropriate things afterwards. I don't care about acting weird, but there are certain things that I am terrified of saying. My mom will be the one picking me up, and I'm afraid that I'll accidentally come out to her. She is very homophobic and coming out to her may put me in danger because I am a minor. When I'm not around her, I'm very open about it so I am afraid that I'll forget to be secretive about it while under the effects of the anesthesia. She will not think it is a joke. My question is, can the doctor keep me for a while after the surgery until the effects mostly wear off? I'm hoping they can keep me for a few hours after it's done. And I also wouldn't want any visitors allowed, mostly because of my mom. Is that possible? I don't want to take any risks of my mom finding out, and my dad is also very homophobic so I can't trust him either. This has been worrying me for over a year.

First, welcome to the forum. First, I think being as puro f it afterwards as some people are in those videos is really rare. I do think you can also ask to have lighter sedation if you're not afraid of the extractions themselves (I had mine out with only local). You can also probably tell them you're not feeling great after if you want to stay a little longer to recover before leaving with your parents. Can you take a friend with you who can help steer the conversation if you start to say something that might out you?

Hang in there!

Back