• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of the injections, but I think I've got to go

L
Hey,

I have a hole in my lower left molar it's quite deep, when I shine my iphone light in there there's a just a little brown no black and I can completely clean it out when brushing I've also had a little mess around in there and it's not sticky at all but I'm pretty sure it is a cavity. Over the last couple of weeks I've been getting pain not on the molar but on my lower front teeth especially when waking up in the morning so I don't know if I've been grinding in my sleep it's only been happening for the last couple of months I wake up about 5 am in the morning with quite severe pain and when i clench my jaw all my teeth feel sensitive but when I've woke up and moved around it seems to just disappear I've been under a lot of stress over the last couple of months and I think that's what might be triggering it.

Anyway when I was 13 I had to have 2 teeth removed and ended up having a ga in the end, when i had a filling on those teeth ages ago the injection hurt so bad when going in I had to have it stop and I walked out I just couldn't go through with it and knowing my luck it's going to happen again and that's what is stopping me from going in case I have a repeat experience I only have to hear the word dentist and I just tremble in fear.

Pain of an anesthetic injection is chiefly dependent on the person giving the injection.

Pain of an anesthetic injection is chiefly dependent on the person giving the injection.

I agree and also if the dentist is good wih people they will talk you though it. You can also ask if they can rub numbing cream so it numbs the area before the injection or if they have sedatives. When I went back this year expecting an extraction I had gas. I sucked it and blew it out through a tube. Helped a lot.

I go to the dentist now not afraid as my dentist will stop for what seems like minutes but told is about 10 seconds to let me recover and then proceed. He even talked me into getting fillings replaced with no anesthetic and was good decision, only 8 seconds of pain which was tolerable, painful but tolerable. I've been to heaps of dentist and if you can find like mine, you will happily go back.

Last edited:
Back