• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

TERRIFIED of tooth extraction tomorrow

N

Nomismommy

Hi Guys,

I am legit scared out of my mind having my lower right molar extracted tomorrow. I went to a crappy dentist five times in three months that said nothing was wrong (it hurt a lot) and then I developed an abscess. LONG story short, new dentist sent me to an oral surgeon to remove a fractured tooth and do a socket preservation. I am SO scared. I am scared of the needles, scared it's going to hurt, scared of the socket preservation, scared of the stitches. I'm just really really scared. Any positive words of encouragement would be SO appreciated.

So sorry to read about what you are going through, Nomismommy and you are being very brave now. Have you seen the oral surgeon before? Do you feel able to let them know about your fears?
Extractions are usually the quickest procedures. I get your fear of the needle. It is very likely that your oral surgeon knows techniques to numb you up comfortably and effectively, he surely has a lot of experience and providing good anesthesia is the basis of any treatment. Once you are numb you should be fine and not notice much of what is there.
I always make sure to have a list of questions before a treatment. Those can be fears or concerns or just questions about what will be done. It makes the dentist talk for a while and gives you a window of time to settle and arrive before anything gets done.

Sending you hugs and may all go well tomorrow. :hug4:

Hi,

oral surgeons extract at least 3,000 teeth per year. They are so skilled and well trained in it, surely you will see it goes much faster and smoother than you have thought before the procedure itself.

Nomismommy,

I second Enarete in that you are very brave.. after all the recent experiences with dentists that didn't go so well and you have the courage to face this even when you are scared . and going to an oral surgeon you don't know...

I love @Enarete 's advice on getting some questions together and writing them down and by asking them that will buy you some time to get more settled while there.. ! I never thought of asking the questions in this way but it is great advice and way of thinking..

I hope the oral surgeon will be very patient and kind and considerate of your anxieties as you are going through the procedure. I've gotten a few molars removed.. and It was definately easier than I thought it would be when it was all said and done.. I think the worst part is the anxiety before.

I had two lower molars extracted, and bone grafting to preserve the socket for implants. It was much easier than I thought it would be. It went quickly, and although the shots were not pleasant they did the trick and I felt no pain during the procedure.

You’ve got this!

Let us know how you do.

How are you doing, Nomismommy, how did the extraction go?

Back