• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of wisdom removal

G

Former Member
Hi Guys,

I was told today that I am being referred to the hospital for a general anaesthetic/oral surgeon job to remove my lower right wisdom. It is partially in my mouth and has been for 8 years but is now apparently decaying the adjacent tooth. Truth is I'm terrified, you hear all the horror stories, nerve damage, hearing problems etc not to mention the rare risk of death under a general anaesthetic. I'm also worried because I am 35 and have been told there are more risks with age.
My dentist says the roots of the tooth are long and very near the nerves. He also said it wouldn't be pleasent (very tactful) I had a molar removed under IV sedation 2 years ago with no real problems but I am petrified of this. Any re assurance would be gratefully received.
Many Thanks.

Have a trawl through some of the other threads here, this topic has been pretty well covered.

I don't know where this obsession with "harder extractions/more risk when you're older" comes from. :( 35 is not old enough to cause an increase risk for GA and certainly doesn't make extractions any more difficult.

Like Mike has said in a different thread, everyone has wisdom tooth horror stories but they are in the vast minority, most people have perfectly straightforward extractions with little or no post-op problems. In the last month I've extracted 5 sets of wisdom teeth, none of the patients involved has had the slightest problem afterwards. And, trust me, I'm not an exceptionally gifted dentist by any stretch of the imagination. :)

Hey there! don't worry, it WILL be ok! Sedation, done properly, is EXCELLENT. I'm a TERRIBLE dental phobic and had to have THREE impacted wisdoms out year back and it was REMARKABLY painful.

SILLY but true. GET paper, or a 'reusable' writing, scribbling block, as the vibration of talking can REALLY make it worse. Then some anti inflammatories and some codeine every six hours and you won't BELIEVE how good you feel.

BEST of luck, but you won't need it. They are experts.

Let me know how it goes.

Warmest thoughts,
Lovelorn

Back