• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of wisdom teeth removal..

C

CDA489

Hello all,

I had really negative experiences with a childhood dentist that caused intense fear. I also suffer from general anxiety. I've been working on both these things over the years and finally got myself to the dentist this week, only to find out I need my wisdom teeth out. While at the consultation I received the bad news that two other teeth needed to come out as well (one a botched root canal done by a former dentist and the other due to decay), I'm fairly young and don't want gaps so I think I've decided to get prepped for dental implant in both spots (I'm scared about this too but not as much).

Basically now I'm having two wisdom teeth out and one molar (on the same side) out at a time. I was anxious I started crying during the consultation. The oral surgeon was so sweet and really tried to make me feel better. However she did make me nervous mentioning I had small veins and seemed concerned about IV placement (I've never had an issue having blood drawn and my husband insists if he's performed IVs in combat zones that I'll be fine).

The first appointment is Tuesday (it's Saturday as I write this), I didn't want to put it off and prolong the anxiety. I'm a therapist so I have to speak all day, therefore I'm off Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I've prepped my Friday clients and my boss for the possibility I may need to take that day off as well. I've opted for IV sedation as I don't think I could go through with it without it . I've spoken to a nurse friend who insists I will be completely unaware during the appointment and likely will fall asleep/feel as though I was asleep. I've also spoken to many people and read on here about positive experiences.

I'm just still so scared, the anxiety comes in waves but I've been crying every day. My husband will take me to the appointment and bring me home, he'll also work from home the entire remaining day.

Anyone have any advice for getting through the appointment? I know everyones experience is different but do you think I took enough time off work? I think I'm also a little scared to take the Percocet she said she will prescribe.

Thank you in advance, this forum's stories really have helped so far I'm just still so scared.

Dear CDA489,

sorry to read how much you worry and at the same time a huge well done for getting through with it!

You might already have find out that there is no quick fix for the anxiety before an appointment and that it just comes and goes. I can only encourage you to cry as much as you need and to do anything that you feel might help you. Be kind to yourself, do whatever you feel like doing and be aware how brave you are. You are conquering your fear and thats a huge thing.

I am sure that you will be very happy with iv sedation. The worst anxiety will be the one before they sedate you and in the next second it will be over. There are a lot of lovely success stories about iv sedation here on the forum.

My wisdom-experience: all 4 of my wisdom teeth out in one session and no sedation (just local anesthesia). The extraction itself took only about 5 minutes and I was in a restaurant carefully eating pizza with my friend on the same evening (after having cooled my face for the whole day). While I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, the point is that wisdoms can go smoothly and quickly and the recovery can be fast. So 2-3 days off should be enough to recover.

All the best wishes and keep us posted. And of course good luck for Tuesday. Hope you'll come back to drop a success story:)

You're going to be okay. Everything is going to be okay.

There are going to be some moments, for sure, but you'll handle them.

You did very well to call off work. I went back to work on the third day (Mon procedure, went back Wed), and it didn't go well, so we agreed I'd go home. I encourage you, come Wednesday probably, just to take Friday off. Knowing that you have all week and all weekend to bounce back will likely be a big relief for you. And you've already prepped them for that eventuality.

I was nervous about my IV, but it went great. I was nervous, but goodness whatever they put in that IV was calming.

They gave me a dozen Percocet, and I definitely needed about five over the first two days. You want to take them as scheduled, but before you need them. I definitely needed them during the bloody-drool stage (not fun, but not nearly as bad as it sounds!).

After my wisdom teeth and then gum graft, I've really come to appreciate Ibuprofen. They prescribed me 800 mg Ibuprofen, which were great.

Were I to do it over again, starting on the third day I'd stick with ibuprofen and take the Percocet only if really needed.

Here is my advice:

1. Beforehand, schedule a follow up appointment for a week out. Much like taking the whole week off, it will be good to know that help is scheduled right around the corner.

2. Have plenty of soft foods available, and have a good variety. Have a vague idea of what semi-soft food you'd like to graduate to at the end of the week. (I was really strengthened by lentils with tiny bits of ham on Day 5).

3. Be certain to get a little curved squirty-syringe from your oral surgeon or Amazon. Be sure to know what to squirt your holes with. I think they recommended hydrogen peroxide for me, which really helped.

4. Be ready for some weird smells.

5. Have plenty of gauze ready for the bloody-drool stage. It was more painful to my dignity than physically painful, but on Percocet I wasn't caring much about dignity. :)

You're going to do fine. Let us know how you are doing.

Thank you both for your kind responses. They definitely made me feel better, I read a bit more about IV sedation and I feel like that really will help me through the actual procedure. Trying not to worry about her comments regarding small veins..I don't love needles so I'm really hoping not to be poked and prodded too many times. I just keep reminding myself of what my husband said about placing IVs in one try in war zones ha

I will heed the advice regarding taking it slow getting back to work and am starting to plan ahead for soft foods. I'll look up the syringe mentioned. I've decided I will take the Percocet the first day or two as directed, as you mentioned I keep hearing to stay ahead of the pain so that's the plan.

I will definitely report back with a success story (fingers crossed).

I don't love needles so I'm really hoping not to be poked and prodded too many times.

They might freeze your arm with a spray so that you won't feel the needle going in, that's what a lot of other members report when it comes to iv.

All the best wishes and keeping my fingers crossed for you, you will be fine.

Good point Enarete,, My daughter had 6 teeth pulled 2 years ago and she was petrified of the IV and they recommended the spray on her arms to numb her skin first.. and I was very surprised how well she did and didn't feel it..

Hope everything goes well and smooth for you cd489! You have us rooting for you and know you . We are here when you feel your waves of anxiety .. or just want to celebrate!

Thanks everyone! I had a minor break down last night but feeling a little calmer this morning. Appointment is in 90 minutes. I did get a little sleep last night and as I was drifting off I actually thought, I wish someone could just stick me with that stupid IV and do it now so part of me is ready to just have it over with. I'm a little freaked out about waking up confused from the sedation, ya know coming to with gauze and blood etc..hoping I'm woken up by someone and not coming to alone in the recovery room. Overall, I think I've been more anxious than this in my life so that's an improvement and I really appreciate all your support. I'll update you guys soon.

I did it !! I'm really proud I got myself to follow through, a few years ago I would have put off the appointment a million times. I'm going to post the full details in the success stories. I was happy with the IV sedation, it seemed like it took a little of me drifting in and out and then I was out. I woke up as they were doing the gauze, I can't say I was scared or anxious at that time thanks to the wonderful meds. I was confused from what I remember but they immediately told me a few times (since I was a little loopy) that it was over, everything went great, and they were just cleaning up. I felt pretty calm and they were really nice, they transferred me to this little recovery room and let me lay down while my husband came to sit with me.

The gauze was a little uncomfortable but nothing crazy, it's actually out of my mouth already, I needed it in the office, on the cab ride home (25 minutes), and then maybe one more hour at home? I was able to take it out, eat some ice cream so I could take a painkiller and didn't need to put it back in. Now I'm icing 20 on and 20 off and just reading my instructions very carefully. I feel shockingly good.

I will need to go back eventually to do the same to the other side of my mouth, but I think Ill be more comfy now.

Well done!

Great to read that! Congrats and well done! :jump: You have all reasons to be proud of yourself, very well done!
Take care and hope you recover very soon:)

Well done, getting the wisdom teeth removed I am dreaded if I ever need my removed, as I don't deal well with needles iv and certainly don't want to be put to sleep. sedated is the only option I would have mine out.

Back