• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of wisdom teeth removal

M

mydreamscomealive

Hi I get my wisdom teeth out next week and I only have 2 bottoms ones and I’m so worried about being put to sleep because I’ve read horror stories about people dying either during or after the surgery and I’m young and I don’t want to die. I’m really scared and just want some peace.

Your fear is understandable.

I am pleased to report that death is very very unlikely.

I work, tangentially, with those guys, and they are some of the smartest people in the world, so you can trust their word.

I encourage you to be courageous. You can handle this.

Hi there,

you will find scary stories about anything, but remember there will be someone whose only job is to make sure you're fine. How about talking to your dental team about this (either before your visit or in advance and make them explain to you what things they will do to make sure you will be ok?

All the best wishes

Agree with Enarete, doing searches on the internet will tend to bring up stories about unusual or extreme circumstances (especially depending on how you search).

Suggest you check out the following post that is in the wisdom tooth part of the forum.

Hi, please allow me to through in my 2 cent contribution to this thread: my video about the uncertainty. Might be helpful.

May I ask, have you considered being treated without any sedation? Would that be feasible for you?

Please don't be scared! I had two wisdom removed under sedation back in February and it was beyond easy! Almost no pain afterwards-all I really needed was ibuprofen. I am 49 and it sounds like you are much younger-you are going to be just fine! It is not as complicated as general anesthesia, and your oral surgeon has probably done this thousands of times. Let us know how it goes! It will just be like a small memory lapse; first you will be sitting in the chair getting ready for the procedure and then you will wake up ready for your ride to take you home!

Mydreamcomealive,

Iknow being put under can be very scary , you are very courageous to consider and go through with this. I have been through procedures being put to sleep I have been scared everytime and ruminate on the what ifs.. I think it is natural as our minds heading over to youtube and google.. which doesn't help a bit.. I can say every time has went smooth and easy and as long as the dr and staff that are caring for understand you and your health and situation . They will be very careful and everything should turn out great ! Wishing you the very best in this..

Hello all :) I had my wisdom teeth out about a week ago and I am doing well. Thank you for all the well wishes!

Glad to read that all went well, thanks for coming back and updating us :)

Hi I get my wisdom teeth out next week and I only have 2 bottoms ones and I’m so worried about being put to sleep because I’ve read horror stories about people dying either during or after the surgery and I’m young and I don’t want to die. I’m really scared and just want some peace.

I just had mine 2 bottom wisdoms pulled 6 days ago. I was scared to get put out too. That part for me was surprisingly easy. I don’t remember anything and I didn’t feel any pain.

I understand that sedation will somehow compress your consciousness but I know I will feel the LA going in, a quick question is that if I am going to have two impacted tooth out, how am I going to take it if say there will be 4 injection going into the gum? I will definitely feel it.

I understand that sedation will somehow compress your consciousness but I know I will feel the LA going in, a quick question is that if I am going to have two impacted tooth out, how am I going to take it if say there will be 4 injection going into the gum? I will definitely feel it.

Upper teeth shouldn't be a problem, done slowly you might not feel a thing even if fully conscious. The lower ones might sting but again, feeling the LA or not has to do with the dentists skills. If this worries you, it might be a good idea to talk to your dentist about what can be done to make sure you won't remember this part. Maybe they can adjust the iv or use some distraction or just make sure to go really really slowly.
From the success stories on sedation here the majority of people do not remember a thing after having sedation.

Unfortunately, mine is the lower ones... My appointment is tomorrow :( I also have low blood pressure and I am really worried too. Worrying about every single step. Wanted to seperate the removal of my wisdom tooth in different sessions but at the same time I didn't want to go through this anxiety twice.

I had 2 lower impacted wisdom teeth removed a few years ago. During the consolation I forgot to mention I have a fear of needles. Before the appointment, I thought I was managing my anxiety well but once they started to prep for the IV I physically flinched. The surgeon was kind and talked me through the set up. He also mentioned that he would wait until I was sedated to do the LA. Once I started to relax a little the sedation kicked in and have no memory of anything that happened until I woke up when they were done.

Let them know what is bothering you and they should be able to walk you through the process.

I had 2 lower impacted wisdom teeth removed a few years ago. During the consolation I forgot to mention I have a fear of needles. Before the appointment, I thought I was managing my anxiety well but once they started to prep for the IV I physically flinched. The surgeon was kind and talked me through the set up. He also mentioned that he would wait until I was sedated to do the LA. Once I started to relax a little the sedation kicked in and have no memory of anything that happened until I woke up when they were done.

Let them know what is bothering you and they should be able to walk you through the process.
Hi thanks, but u did it under conscious IV? However I realise I am underweight and have a BMI of 16.50 and low blood pressure. Wonder if it will be okay.

Hi thanks, but u did it under conscious IV? However I realise I am underweight and have a BMI of 16.50 and low blood pressure. Wonder if it will be okay.

Hi Jane, usually there is a pre-assessment to see whether you are suitable for sedation, that’s when these factors would play a role. If sedation is not ok with you they should have known by now and not schedule you for it.
As Sol suggests, let your dental team know what worries you and let them explain what can be done to make sure you won’t remember and feel anything.
I think having it done at once is a good idea, I have met few people who did it in two parts and weren’t happy about it. Not because the procedure was bad but because the anxiety stays the same.

All te best wishes for today and let us know how it went!

Hi Jane, usually there is a pre-assessment to see whether you are suitable for sedation, that’s when these factors would play a role. If sedation is not ok with you they should have known by now and not schedule you for it.
As Sol suggests, let your dental team know what worries you and let them explain what can be done to make sure you won’t remember and feel anything.
I think having it done at once is a good idea, I have met few people who did it in two parts and weren’t happy about it. Not because the procedure was bad but because the anxiety stays the same.

All te best wishes for today and let us know how it went!
However, they do not do any pre-assessment for me before anything. I do have NKDA (No known drug allergies) right now.

Back