• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of Wisdom Tooth Extraction - Comforting and Happy Stories Would Be Great

Z

zackstormy

Terrified of Wisdom Tooth Extraction - Comforting and Happy Stories Would Be Great

I was told a few days ago by my dentist that I would need to have a wisdom tooth out because it would destroy the roots of my 12-year-molar. She said that, though the other teeth are too undeveloped to see if they would cause a problem (I'm fourteen), she would recommend having them all out, just so I would never have to worry about it again. I am seeing another dentist soon to be sure that her diagnosis was legitimate, but the x-ray was pretty convincing.

I am terrified of surgery more than I am of death. I have never even had a tooth filled before, so I am scared to death to have all four of my wisdom teeth removed. I have been diagnosed with anxiety, and I cannot get my mind off the surgery. It is driving me insane.

I was wondering if anybody would be kind enough to provide me with his or her own stories or the links to stories that have helped people to get over their anxieties about the surgery. Thanks!

Re: Terrified of Wisdom Tooth Extraction - Comforting and Happy Stories Would Be Great

What parts are you scared of, specifically? Are you having a local or general anasthetic?

Re: Terrified of Wisdom Tooth Extraction - Comforting and Happy Stories Would Be Great

Sevena,

I am having a local anastetic. I am just nervous of the entire surgery. Nervous of not having any control after I have the IV. Worried about having my mouth cut and sewn. I am also just afraid or surgery in general. I am not sure why that is. Thanks for the reply.

Hey, it's normal to be afraid of surgery. I don't know anyone who isn't! The thing to remember is that people get wisdom teeth removed every single day with nary a hitch, and oral surgeons do this procedure every day and are complete professionals. It's an unknown to you though, so it's going to seem like a big deal. That's okay. The IV sedation will make it seem like you were asleep. Countless people on this forum get IV sedation for procedures, and it helps a ton! You'll be a bit tired and groggy afterwards, but mostly you'll probably be relieved that it's over.

I'm not saying it's going to be fun or anything, but it's never as bad as you imagine it to be. Our imagination can be our own worst enemy sometimes. I had my wisdoms (and all the rest of my teeth) removed under a general anasthetic, and it was fine. You'll be fine too. :)

Hey, it's normal to be afraid of surgery. I don't know anyone who isn't! The thing to remember is that people get wisdom teeth removed every single day with nary a hitch, and oral surgeons do this procedure every day and are complete professionals. It's an unknown to you though, so it's going to seem like a big deal. That's okay. The IV sedation will make it seem like you were asleep. Countless people on this forum get IV sedation for procedures, and it helps a ton! You'll be a bit tired and groggy afterwards, but mostly you'll probably be relieved that it's over.

I'm not saying it's going to be fun or anything, but it's never as bad as you imagine it to be. Our imagination can be our own worst enemy sometimes. I had my wisdoms (and all the rest of my teeth) removed under a general anasthetic, and it was fine. You'll be fine too. :)

Thank you for the post. It does make me feel better. I have a question; Were you afraid while you were on the IV? What effect did the IV have on your thinking?

Thank you! I learned a lot from that article. Thanks for all of the help. I am feeling a little better now.

I just had a surgery for wisdom teeth in June. I was too anxious, But I found the surgery was nothing. The pain was not more than certain extends and the pain killers protected me against the pain.

The filling of teeth is just like another teeth. I can't even feel any difference among them. So it is also not an issue to be worried.

Though there is nothing to fear in surgery still I suggest you to follow the instruction of doctors strictly before and after operation for better treatment. Specially consume the allowed food only.

All the best!
Stay connected.

I just had a surgery for wisdom teeth in June. I was too anxious, But I found the surgery was nothing. The pain was not more than certain extends and the pain killers protected me against the pain.

The filling of teeth is just like another teeth. I can't even feel any difference among them. So it is also not an issue to be worried.

Though there is nothing to fear in surgery still I suggest you to follow the instruction of doctors strictly before and after operation for better treatment. Specially consume the allowed food only.

All the best!
Stay connected.

Thank you for telling about your experience. I feel better about the surgery, but I still find myself going into occasional panic attacks.

Thank you for telling about your experience. I feel better about the surgery, but I still find myself going into occasional panic attacks.

Ow Dear,

Don't panic. Have some faith in doctors, they are experienced enough. Believe me it will be good.

think too much about it.

Thanks for all of the help. I will try to be strong.

Sevena,

I am having a local anastetic. I am just nervous of the entire surgery. Nervous of not having any control after I have the IV. Worried about having my mouth cut and sewn. I am also just afraid or surgery in general. I am not sure why that is. Thanks for the reply.

Had mine removed along with 1 other tooth last week. The last thing I remember was the dentist saying this probably where the amnesia will kick in. It was a walk in the park. I worried as well, for nothing. Pain overall wasn't that bad. By the third day didn't need any pain meds. A week in stitches are there but don't hurt at all. Now just trying to keep these holes free of food debris.

Not sure if you're thinking local anesthesia is the same thing as IV and would rather you not be surprised on the day of. local anesthesia is basically shots and general is IV. I had one wisdom tooth taken out a year ago with local. The procedure was pain free (a week of pain after) but I was a nervous wreck while it was going on. Hearing my tooth being cracked apart and all the pulling like my head was going to come off was a rough experience that needed to be done due the pain that tooth was causing me. So yeah, lets hope it is IV.

Last edited:
Back