• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified!! Root Canal Needs A 2nd Time :(

A

AnGeLnDiSgUiSe2010

Hello all....
I went to dentist for root canal due to pain in right back molar which has been on and off again for quite some time (I knew the nerve was exposed), several rounds of antibiotics before I finally came up with the money to have the tooth taken care of. I never numbed...even after 8 or 10 shots (I lost count), it still was SEVERE excrutiating pain as he tried to open it up to let infection out. After the 3rd poke in and me screaming and jumping in chair, he said we will just temporary cap it and you can return next week. He explained about "hot tooth" and I know the infection has moved to my jaw area as I am experiencing pain up into my ear. I had 3 root canals ALL IN ONE DAY done last year, no problem. That is why I was so shocked at the unbearable pain I felt yesterday. He kept saying if I can just get it opened up...so he was successful with I think 2 of the nerves and said he is half way done now. He gave me a Z Pack (antibiotics), told me to stay on the steroids (that I'm taking for tennis elbow) as this was to help with the inflammation and Tylox. I have not filled yet, because I had some Darvocets to take, which did not even phase the pain I experienced for HOURS after I got home from his office. I was terrified something was wrong. I called him and he reassured me all the pain was "normal" and I had nothing to worry about and all would be well this morning. The pain has lessened, at least I am not crying....but I still hurt pretty bad. He usually gives me Clindamyacin, which I do have to pre-med with that due to mitral valve prolapse. Now here are my concerns. I am so scared to go back, I KNOW I cannot bear any more pain like I did yesterday. I was a basket case by the time I left his office. Of course he wants to save the tooth, to be able to do a bridge, but I wondered about just pulling and doing an implant?? After I see of course how much my insurance will or if they pay on that procedure.
I asked about other sedation options, he has the nitrous. I am scared of that because I had a severe reaction to it years ago at another dentist. They said they had NEVER had anyone react to gas, well I did! From the time I got up from the chair I started sneezing, at least 50 times before I made it to the desk to pay out. My eyes watered, and I felt a burning in one of my nostrils, later when I blew my nose, it looked like a small piece of cartledge came out! Sorry to be graphic but it was NOT mucus, and I had an open sore in my nose for couple of weeks. So I really don't know if I want to try laughing gas again!! He does not do intravenous sedation. Should I find a dentist who does to finish up the procedure?? Or will my infection be cleared up enough in 7 days with the Z Pack that the pain won't be so excrutiating? Or maybe I need a stronger antibiotic? I read about Metronidazole, his nurse said she has never heard of it and he has never prescribed it before. Also he will give Valium, which I don't really want that. I don't need to relax I need to be NUMB! Any advice????

Last edited:
I don't really know how to answer your other questions, but you might benefit from stronger antibiotics.. ive been on Metronidazole a good few times for abscesses and its very strong!! made me feel like i had flu for a week, but did ease the pain when other antibiotics didn't.
I hope everything turns out ok in the end :)

thanks :) I am waiting on dentist to call me now. I have one day left on the Z Pack and today I started coughing and spitting up green phlegm...ewwwww I know, sorry...but telltale signs of bronchitis!!! Still some pain in tooth. Even pain up into my jaw and ear, can't hardly hear out of my ear and ringing so loud...You know I asked him when I sat down in the chair if he thought maybe I needed to be on antibiotics and clear some of the infection up before we did the root canal...
When I had the 3 done last year that is what he did, put me on a weeks worth or Clindimyacin first and I never felt a thing.

Angel, ask him if you can have Metronidazole. I had Metronidazole 400mg 3 times a day for 10 days for a very bad infection when I had all my teeth out, its strong stuff makes you feel you have flu, well it did me lol but it works really good

Julie

Back