• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified to death with full mouth extraction

W

Wetcat

I am going to have all my teeth extracted. I have been sleeping only three hours daily since I got to know this. It's not really so much of the procedure that I am scared of. It is the fact that I will be no teeth! How am I going to look like and have fake teeth in mouth. I know that I will have denture and get implant after. But emotionally and mentally I still couldn't process all these. Every day and night when I thought about this, my heart beat really fast and I get so weak all over. Looking for help to overcome the anxiety and the emotional pain.

Welcome to the forum!

I had all my teeth extracted two years ago. At first it does feel very strange. It takes time to get used to. Dentures feel strange at first, kind of big and bulky and plastic, but you will adjust. The best thing to do is keep yourself busy while you're adjusting, so that you don't just focus on it the whole time. Your face will look fine, dentures will take up the space your teeth took up, so you will end up looking the same, don't worry.

While it felt strange, and can be a little upsetting at first, it wasn't terrible for me, and I'm sure it won't be for you either :)

Thanks Sevena for the support. How long did it take you to adjust yourself to the strange feeling of no teeth and new denture? Did you get the immediate denture?

I got immediate dentures, yeah. They didn't fit right at first, but that's common, and the dentist adjusted them for me until they did. Honestly, it didn't take me too long. It made my stomach feel funny for the first couple of days (your brain needs to learn that the new thing in your mouth isn't incoming food :p), but drinking lots of juice helped with that. I had trouble with the letter S for a week or two, but my family said it wasn't noticeable. I was nervous to eat, but my friend offered me a burger when I was hungry, so I just tried it! Chewing took a bit longer but it wasn't as difficult as I was expecting. :)

How long after the extraction were you able to walk outside and have semi social or office activities?

Many thanks!

I got immediate dentures, yeah. They didn't fit right at first, but that's common, and the dentist adjusted them for me until they did. Honestly, it didn't take me too long. It made my stomach feel funny for the first couple of days (your brain needs to learn that the new thing in your mouth isn't incoming food :p), but drinking lots of juice helped with that. I had trouble with the letter S for a week or two, but my family said it wasn't noticeable. I was nervous to eat, but my friend offered me a burger when I was hungry, so I just tried it! Chewing took a bit longer but it wasn't as difficult as I was expecting. :)

Back