• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Terrified with current situation. Please Help

F

Frustrated1985

Ive always had dental issues my whole life and have had alot of dentail work done. 34 years old

Currently I'm having pain, discomfort in my first molar on bottom left side. That tooth in the past had a rootcanal and a retreatment by an endo that was successful about 7 years ago. Lately its been very sensitive and just experiencing discomfort. no abcess or anything of the sort. Ive already had enough teeth removed and so on and Im just nervous. I do not want to go through that again. Would an apicoectomy be worth it? Are there any other options? Would replacing the crown work or help? Please anything. I know its hard to give an answer without any visual proof or xrays. I will try to get some soon if possible but please..any advice will be appreciated. I DO NOT want to get this tooth removed...I know it migh tbe the only option but Im willing to try anything....

I know the question is vague and Im not providing much information but im just nervous and Im looking for anything.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Apicectomy on a lower molar can be risky, it's very close to the main nerve that sends sensations to your lip and lower jaw, without a great probability of success either.

Other option can be something called Hemisection, lower molars have 2 roots, if one is OK but the other is infected you can cut off the infected root, remove it and add a new crown to seal it off. Sounds a bit weird but it generally works pretty well depending on the anatomy of the tooth in question.

The procedure with the best chance of success would be extraction plus implant, if you were being totally unemotional about it...

F

Frustrated1985

Apicectomy on a lower molar can be risky, it's very close to the main nerve that sends sensations to your lip and lower jaw, without a great probability of success either.

Other option can be something called Hemisection, lower molars have 2 roots, if one is OK but the other is infected you can cut off the infected root, remove it and add a new crown to seal it off. Sounds a bit weird but it generally works pretty well depending on the anatomy of the tooth in question.

The procedure with the best chance of success would be extraction plus implant, if you were being totally unemotional about it...
thank you so much for responding

Is a second re treatment from an endo a possibility? Also there is a black line on bottom of crown... dentist in the past said it’s not decay...so could that mean the crown isn’t fitting well and could possibly replace it ?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Yes, it's a possibility, x-rays would help for a more informed reply.
Black lines usually appear on margins as the gum shrinks back a bit from the edge of the crown, it doesn't mean the crown isn't fitting well and I doubt if replacing it would help.

F

Frustrated1985

Im trying to have them send me a copy of the xray now so you can take a look. Thank you again for this. It means alot. Thank you.

F

Frustrated1985

Ok I have a copy of the Xray. I havent had a cleaning done in close to 2 years which she says could be the cause of pain. I grind my teeth at night as well from my my wife says so im not sure thats it either. I know Im grasping for anything right now but Im terrified at the moment. I want to preserve this as much as possible. She prescribed me a mouth wash that she says will help but not to stay on too long because it might stain my teeth. Forgot the name and I havent picked it up yet, sorry.

The tooth was retreated 7 years ago. Does it look like it should be treated again? Any hope at all? Also the teeth around it look fine? Nothing to worry about with them right?

Sorry again for bothering you with this and thanks again.
xray.jpg

F

Frustrated1985

Also Intentional Replantation was purposed as well. Apparent the tooth is a good candidate for it if I choose to go that road I was told.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
There's a clear radioluscent area (which is bad) at the mesial (front) root, if you had an earlier film it would be interesting to see if it was a previous huge area that was shrinking but from that film, I'd expect re-doing the endo would probably help.
Replantation would be a risky procedure, they can work well but it's what I think in the US you call a Hail Mary approach?

F

Frustrated1985

There's a clear radioluscent area (which is bad) at the mesial (front) root, if you had an earlier film it would be interesting to see if it was a previous huge area that was shrinking but from that film, I'd expect re-doing the endo would probably help.
Replantation would be a risky procedure, they can work well but it's what I think in the US you call a Hail Mary approach?

I had an earlier film on the tooth and the infection had shrunk gradually after the retreatment from the dentish 7 years ago... Thats what I was told looking over xrays from detist. I'll see if I can find anything to show you from years back.Also Im getting conflicting reports from dentist.. One dentist told me the roots are fractured and another said that it would be a good candidate for replantation and that theres no fracture. Im so confused with everything. How severe does that infection look? Im just so confused ...its frustrating. THank you again for your time.