• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified...

A

Ash_16

Hi, I’m new here! First post in fact. I’m 21 and never been to the dentist because of my anxiety... it’s 1am here and I cannot sleep because I’m so scared. My oral hygiene has been pretty rough so far (parents never taught me how important it was) but I’m turning things around now (brushing twice a day, mouthwash etc). I’m making an appointment to see a dentist for the first time and honestly I’m so scared. My gum in some places looks quite puffy and in one part seems to be pulling away from the tooth... I’m so terrified of losing a tooth, or having some horrific procedure involving needles. It doesn’t look as bad as some pictures, but it’s still bad enough to scare me. I guess I just want someone to tell me it’ll be okay..

Hi Ash_16,
Sympathize with the insomnia caused by the anxiety before an appointment. Think its one of the harder things to deal with. Good for you with starting the daily hygiene routine! As time goes on, and maybe after a scaling, you should notice the puffiness in the gums improve. Doubt you are in a position where it means anything severe like tooth loss since you are young.

It's really easy to go online and look up symptoms but would highly suggest avoiding that. Dr. Google is good at bringing back the worst case scenarios and those situations probably don't apply to you. If you haven't looked around here yet there is a lot of good information about what to expect, hygiene tips and so on. For example, the below article talks about what to expect during check ups or first appointments. Wish you the best with your appointment.

Actually, it won’t be okay.

It’ll be great!

Life is awesome on the other side of everything you describe.

You are already well on your way to success.

There will be some “moments”, for sure, but you’ll be laughing about them a minute later.

Even if you don’t do a single thing further, you are already a success. You’ve come a long way.

Keep us posted.

such an awesome change you're making with taking control over your teeth and booking an appointment! I hope your anxiety has calmed down a bit. It always helps me to read success stories on here- helps me feel hopeful for the future and not so alone! Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes!

Hi Ash_16,
Sympathize with the insomnia caused by the anxiety before an appointment. Think its one of the harder things to deal with. Good for you with starting the daily hygiene routine! As time goes on, and maybe after a scaling, you should notice the puffiness in the gums improve. Doubt you are in a position where it means anything severe like tooth loss since you are young.

It's really easy to go online and look up symptoms but would highly suggest avoiding that. Dr. Google is good at bringing back the worst case scenarios and those situations probably don't apply to you. If you haven't looked around here yet there is a lot of good information about what to expect, hygiene tips and so on. For example, the below article talks about what to expect during check ups or first appointments. Wish you the best with your appointment.

Thank you... knowing I’m not the only one who’s lost sleep over this is amazing, I felt so ridiculous last night! And Dr Google is just nightmare-fuel for me.. some of the pictures are so scary and I instantly start thinking that It’s gonna happen to me too. I’ve read a few of the success stories and it’s so comforting to see other people going through this and coming out the other side. Thank you so much x

Actually, it won’t be okay.

It’ll be great!

Life is awesome on the other side of everything you describe.

You are already well on your way to success.

There will be some “moments”, for sure, but you’ll be laughing about them a minute later.

Even if you don’t do a single thing further, you are already a success. You’ve come a long way.

Keep us posted.

Reading your message made me so emotional! Thank you so much, and just hearing that I’ve come a long way means so much to me. Thank you xx

such an awesome change you're making with taking control over your teeth and booking an appointment! I hope your anxiety has calmed down a bit. It always helps me to read success stories on here- helps me feel hopeful for the future and not so alone! Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes!

Thanks for replying! And yeah I feel better now I’m doing something about it, I’m still anxious but reading all of the posts on here- and your message- has really helped.

Hi Ash_16,

give yourself a HUGE pat on your back for turning things around, it sounds like you are doing amazingly. And of course, new things we do make us nervous / scared / losing sleep so in this terms you are doing good too.
Puffy gums that seem to be pulling our from teeth sounds like what a dental care professional would expect given your history and I am sure your dentist will be able to help you with this. The most people who are about to see a dentist after a long time (or for the very first time) think the state of their teeth is worse than it is. Dentistry had come a long way and there are many kind caring dentists who will be happy to support you. Make sure to chose a dental practice you think you might feel comfortable at and let them know about your anxiety beforehand.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Okay I officially have an appointment on the 8th of October... I’m terrified but hopefully it won’t be as bad as I think! Thank you everyone

Hi Ash_16,

give yourself a HUGE pat on your back for turning things around, it sounds like you are doing amazingly. And of course, new things we do make us nervous / scared / losing sleep so in this terms you are doing good too.
Puffy gums that seem to be pulling our from teeth sounds like what a dental care professional would expect given your history and I am sure your dentist will be able to help you with this. The most people who are about to see a dentist after a long time (or for the very first time) think the state of their teeth is worse than it is. Dentistry had come a long way and there are many kind caring dentists who will be happy to support you. Make sure to chose a dental practice you think you might feel comfortable at and let them know about your anxiety beforehand.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Thank you so much for replying! So it sounds pretty normal then? I know you’re not a dentist (or you might be!) but it doesn’t sound like... tooth-loss could be a possibility? Sorry I’m just so terrified at the thought! But I really appreciate your support

Thank you so much for replying! So it sounds pretty normal then? I know you’re not a dentist (or you might be!) but it doesn’t sound like... tooth-loss could be a possibility? Sorry I’m just so terrified at the thought! But I really appreciate your support

I'm not a dentist just know that becoming puffy and receded in a way or other is what gums do when there is much bacteria which is what happens if someone doesn't take much care of their teeth for any reason. Losing teeth is not that easy in fact and takes a lot of time. Even if you were twenty years older and had wobbly teeth, it would still doesn't mean you will lose them.

If you wish a reply from a dentist, it might be worth to post in the Ask a dentist section. You might consider posting a picture of the area(s) that worry you.

Hi everyone!! So I finally went and it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Nearly ran for it when the chair started lowering but I made it. No major damage (THANK GOODNESS!) and I’ve got an appointment with the hygienist next week, and a new special toothbrush/paste to start using too. No bone damage, and thankfully nothing falling out.

Back