• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

terrified

Freyja

Freyja

oh god, tomorrow is my dentist appointment to get my top wisdom teeth out and two teeth on the upper far side out.. I am so anxious and don't know if I can go through with it.. I don't know what to do

Hi Freyja, hang in there. It is so normal to go crazily anxious the day before the appointment with all the thougts like doubting your ability to do that, maybe even wanting to cancel. You are being a perfect nervous patient so far! Now you know yourself the best and I am sure you have been dealing with really stressful things in your past, so the question is: what usually helps you to feel better if you are really stressed?

Hi Freyja, hang in there. It is so normal to go crazily anxious the day before the appointment with all the thougts like doubting your ability to do that, maybe even wanting to cancel. You are being a perfect nervous patient so far! Now you know yourself the best and I am sure you have been dealing with really stressful things in your past, so the question is: what usually helps you to feel better if you are really stressed?

Hi Enarete, thank you. Nothing really helps with my anxiety, well till after whatever is making me anxious is over. I have been given 5mg of Valium to take a hour before appointment and told that might help, so fingers crossed on that.
Just very anxious about tooth extractions due to never having had it done before and I just automatically think the worst. These next 14 hours are going to be rough

I found out that distraction and keeping myself busy with other stuff works the best as whenever I think of something else, appointment-unrelated, I can't think of anxiety at the same time. I know this is a very hard time and having a procedure you are not familiar with doesn't make it easier. You are being really brave.

distraction is always good. I am going to try and get some sleep soon and when I wake up go for a run. Hopefully that will slow my brain down a tad and I will go in my appointment and just get it over and done with. Easier said then done but will do my best. Should have went on a waiting list to be sedated for this but stupidly at the time, thought I will be able to handle it because of a sweet talking dentist who assured me it will be fine.
Thank you for responding to me. I hope I can come on tomorrow and say how easy it was and I overreacted and worried myself sick for no good reason.

You will be fine. And even more - you will be so proud of yourself once it is done. Everyone can go with sedation, but you are going the harder route. Just imagine what a leap in self-confidence it will be. Glad you are having a sweet talking dentist and I am sure he will manage to put you at ease. Remember that the anxiety now is not the anxiety during the procedure. Now you are alone. During the apt will have a lovely nurse and a kind dentist on your side who will guide you through it, look after you and make sure you stay comfortable. Going for a run is a great idea. Take care, hope you can get some sleep and again - you are doing something huge here, so please give yourself credit for it.

I got those same teeth out, and it went okay. So long as you follow their instructions to the letter, and don’t be afraid to ask for a follow up appointment if you need it, you are very likely to be okay. You’re going to make it.

Just checking in to see how you are doing, Freyja. Hope this find you well and calm after a good appointment.

thank you both for the comments :)

it didn't go so well, that morning I was having full blown panic attacks and I couldn't go through with it, I got a few fillings done and teeth cleaned but not the extractions.
Good news is though that i ended up going to dentist at hospital to go on a waiting list for it to be done while i am asleep and after they looked at my teeth and the xrays, i have been told that 4 teeth do not need to come out and only 3 do. I am booked in for a few weeks time and getting it done with the gas thing. Also the dentist there was so much nicer and made me a lot more comfortable.
Not the first time that other dental practice have tried telling me i need certain things done, only to be corrected by other dentists and a second or third opinion. But either way, it was a bad morning but i feel extremely thankful it didnt happen and i went and got a second opinion. I won ever go back to that other dental practice and i am feeling good about getting the few teeth out atm thanks to the wonderful staff at the hospital here.

thank you again Enarete and Dg6300 for your comments, they really do help so much

Freyja,

Sorry you had a rought morning , really you are extremely brave and reiliant , getting the fillings and cleaning done and having the courage to stop where you felt you needed to!! Honoring your body and thoughts about it is so important and that led you to the right decision to go to the hospitial. which sounded like a very relieving experience and kind people. Sounds like you are alot more at peace about this route.. Really glad you choose to honor your thoughts and feelings on this and get a second opinion!! :grouphug:

Well done! While you didn’t get everything done, you’ve certainly come a long way. Posts like yours are why I love DFC: so much courage.

Back