• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified

M

MammaT

Hi,
I need a rant if that's okay and maybe some advice
please read and see what you think. Sorry it's very long.

After 5 months of agony and no sleep I finally got to have 2 of the 4 teeth extracted.
I'm terrified of dentist but i thought it's better than having excruciating pain and no sleep.

I met the young lady who was dressed in blue scrubs that was going to take my teeth out and one of the main dentists I'd seen at one of the consultations. I told them how afraid I was but they put me at ease. (Not sure if she was a trainee I eadnt told)

They numbed me and was ready to go.
she made a hole in my tooth and went to grab it but it snapped off leaving the root, I told them it was hurting so they topped me up .I managed to tell her my heart was pounding and racing like mad and she said it was the drugs and adrenaline.

They asked if I just wanted the one out but I told them to take both.
Little did I know what was about to happen would make me wish I had suffered with toothache or just smashed them out myself.

She tried repeatedly to get the root out using different implements the male dentist told her to use a drill not to worry about the jaw
Little bits was chipping off one piece went to the back of my mouth and they didnt notice it I had to grab it myself and hand it to them while they were looking for another instrument to have a go with.

Nope these roots was staying so she moved to the other tooth and it did it again, so I had another tooth with roots left inside my gum.

I was asked if I needed a rest to let them know but I just wanted to get out as fast as possible.

Back to the first set of roots she was digging, pushing from every angle so he took over.
By this time I was in agony and told him I was in pain he told me it was not from the tooth. As if I didnt know that.
No it was from a nerve it was causing pain in my jaw, ear and neck.
I even had to put my hand under my jaw to stop it from slipping out as it slipped out from time to time.

Not only did I have her digging, pushing,drilling and pulling but he also had a go.
He was pushing that hard his arm was trembling it was like he was really using his full strength against these roots. My arm and shoulder was hurting as I had to push against his weight.

I started to cry and he told me to stop
I was in a abusive marriage for years hense the jaw slipping out of its socket and when a man tells you to stop crying you stop, so I laid there holding my jaw with tears running down my cheek.
The pain was unbearable.but I thought it would stop soon.

This carried on until the tag team finally won. Dentists 2 roots 0

All he said was they shouldn't have been left so long and it had been an HOUR and walked out if the room.

The young lady said I was so brave as if I was a child and said normally they do that under anesthetic on the day ward.

For some reason I asked if she would be taking the others out and I was polite. But I was just glad it was over no more pain. Or so I thought

I was in pain and shaking but like always I hide things but leaving the room a nurse asked if i was okay. I just nodded

God knows how I got to the car park where my husband was waiting as my head and chest was pounding and the pain was worse than a very bad migraine.My shoulder was also hurting. It felt as if I'd done 10 round with Mike Tyson

I am diabetic I suffer from heart problems, cancer and i have strokes.
But not once did they check to see if I was okay. My sugars was 24 .

It took 5 months for them to take the teeth out and just 5 minutes after the teeth extraction to write a letter to my dentist telling them it was a difficult surgery and I handled it well. I got a copy of the letter the day after.

It's the 22 today the swellings gone down but the pain in my jaw, ear, neck, head and shoulder are still there.

I have mouth ulcers which are all around the area where the teeth were and I'm finding it hard to open my mouth.

I'm going to my dentists who referred me to hospital tomorrow
I cant sleep because of the pain still and I am having nightmares

I have to have the other 2 teeth out I'm terrified I will get these two tag team dentists again.

Sorry I just needed to rant I'm terrified or if theres another word I'm that.

Hello - I just read your post and want to say that I'm so sorry you went through this. The dentist you went to sounds awful. Is there a possibility you can be referred to the Dental Hospital at Sheffield? They treated my sister in law who was terrified, and were incredibly gentle and kind with her. (I am from Barnsley too)

Hi thank you for your message
It was barnsley hospital that took my teeth out wish I'd asked for Sheffield. I have most of my appointments at Sheffield.
My husband wants me to sue them but I'm not sure.
I went to the dentist today and he said the holes needs packing and I have to go back on Thursday.

I'm from Mapplewell

I'm at Royston. I go to a dentists in Sheffield who are used to scared and anxious patients, after having horrible experiences at local dentists.

Oh wow, it sounds like you've had a horrendous time and you shouldn't have had to go through that at all.

If I were you I would make a complaint. They need to learn some very valuable lessons from this about how to treat people, particularly people who have a phobia and people who have suffered abuse. Their treatment was not acceptable.

I wonder if its worth asking to be referred to the dental teaching hospital (Is it Charles Clifford?) - I have never been but have heard great things about the place so it might be worth some thought.

Back