• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

TerrifiedWoman's Journal/Journey

You know, this is the journal I always come back to when I feel bad, or in pain, or depressed about how things are going.

I can only hope that my journey turns out as good as yours did. You have an amazing smile, it makes some of us (me) jealous!

Thanks TW I havent slept for the last few nights going over and over it my head. I know in the long run i will be fine its just making that first step.
My Dentist is closed till Tuesday so cant ring them till then just hope I have the courage to pick that phone up and dial.

I have had a good chat today with a work mate she was very supportive. ;D

You know, this is the journal I always come back to when I feel bad, or in pain, or depressed about how things are going.

I can only hope that my journey turns out as good as yours did. You have an amazing smile, it makes some of us (me) jealous!

Knightsaber I have read a bit of your Journey too. You are so brave. The long journey you had to your Dentist I just cant image what you went through. Least my Dentist is just round the corner from my house so pass it everyday lucky for me its shut till Tuesday so cant make myself an appointment to see him. Just hope Tuesday I can pick that phone up and make that call. Scared to death :scared::scared: got butterflys now and Im only writing about it. :sick:

Knightsaber I have read a bit of your Journey too. You are so brave. The long journey you had to your Dentist I just cant image what you went through. Least my Dentist is just round the corner from my house so pass it everyday lucky for me its shut till Tuesday so cant make myself an appointment to see him. Just hope Tuesday I can pick that phone up and make that call. Scared to death :scared::scared: got butterflys now and Im only writing about it. :sick:

If I can do it, you can do it! And it will probably be a lot, lot easier for you to actually go through than mine was. I'm always the one that gets complicated stuff. :(

If I can do it, you can do it! And it will probably be a lot, lot easier for you to actually go through than mine was. I'm always the one that gets complicated stuff. :(

You sound like me nothing ever goes right for me as well. ;D

My teeth are fine so should come out with no problems its my gums that are the problem they are shrinking I have quite a few loose teeth.:cry: They are at the front so dread them falling out. So know I have to do it but its making that step.
I had a dream last night when they did the expressions my teeth came out as they pulled the mould out off my mouth. :scared::scared:.

Ahhh Knightsaber, I'm humbled that you refer to my journal when feeling down. I truly am so thankful that my experiences can help someone..even in a small way. Trust me..you'll have an awesome smile before you know it!

karatewoman, I had to chuckle at your dream about your teeth coming out when they did impressions. That was something that worried me terribly! I had so many broken and/or loose teeth I was just sure they were going to come right out when they removed that stuff they make impressions with. But none of them did! Whew!! :redface:
Glad you have someone to talk to that's supportive..and I know you can make that call. :XXLhug:

So today I'm wandering through the grocery store looking for something to snack on. Found myself in the frozen foods aisle and looking up..I saw it...ice cream bars! Do you know how long it's been since I bit into an ice cream bar?? Me either..it's been too long ago to remember. :redface:
Bought a box of a dozen and came home and ate not one..but two! Wow..I actually bit into a frozen ice cream bar! Yea me! :giggle:

Beautiful...Delicious...Satisfying....screw the calories, you deserved THREE!!!
Selfish moment-thank you for diverting my sorrow from this AZ situation. I needed a BIG smile for a truly great human being!!!

Gotta love Winter in the midwest. Slipped and fell flat today..and my first thought was "OMG..MY TEETH!" No..they didn't fly out :giggle: but when I hit the ground I clamped my mouth shut really hard. No damage done..thank goodness. Wish I could say the same for my ribs...

Gosh, it's been nearly a month since I stopped into my journal...and now just over seven months since I got my dentures. How time flies!
Am so pleased I finally took this journey and can smile again. My sister recently commented that she still can't get used to having pictures of me smiling..that I almost look like a different person now. I know I certainly FEEL like a different person now that I'm no longer embarrassed to talk to strangers for fear of what they are thinking of my bad teeth..and the fact that I smile at nearly everyone I meet, which is something I never would have done before.
Even after seven months I still sound different to myself for some reason..but nobody else seems to think I do. Words I initially had trouble with are no longer problems..thank goodness.
As for eating..nothing comes between me and food these days. :giggle: During the Super Bowl I chowed down on pizza..and today I ate a bunch of Ritz crackers with summer sausage. I've also finally mastered pickles..which used to give me fits! There really is no longer anything I cannot eat.
So..for those who are just beginning their journey..have faith..it does get better and time passes remarkable fast. And for anyone reading this who is afraid to take that first step..don't be. Nothing is as bad as your imagination believes it to be......and nothing feels as good as the final result....a beautiful smile.
Thank-you to all those who helped me find the courage to get mine. :XXLhug:

It's always wonderful to read your updates. Thanks for giving me a reason to smile this a.m.!

Haven't stopped in for a long time. Mostly because there wasn't really any news. Today, however, I had to return to the dentist for some work. I had a place on my front upper gum that had never fully healed after having my teeth extracted. This spot was actually where I had knocked out a tooth, which started my whole journey. It was very puffy and red, but didn't hurt at all. I'd had it checked in November and they thought it was a bone splinter working it's way out. Fast forward to June..it only got worse looking. (Still no pain though!) Went in today and they shot my upper gum with Novocaine and cut it open and cleaned it all out. Scraped right to the bone..did lots of suctioning and rinsing..then stitched my gum back shut. I surprised myself with how brave I was..even turned down laughing gas! The dentist said it SHOULD heal up now..but if not..I have to go out of town to the oral surgeon. Stitches come out Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed it heals up now!! :thumbsup:

Hi TW,

I just finished reading your entire journal. I am inspired and relieved. Tomorrow morning, I am having 26 teeth removed and immediate dentures inserted. For having panic disorder, I am remarkably calm. I attribute this to my trust and faith in God and the prayers going up by myself and the select few I have told. I thank you for sharing so many details esp. about the first week. I am also trying to look ahead at all the wonderful summer activities I will be taking part in with my kids and taking lots of pictures with me in them!! Again, many thanks and God Bless!

Michelle

Hi Michelle! Sorry it's taken me a while to return. I hope everything went well for you. Will have to browse the board for posts when I get time. I'm glad reading my journal helped you. I can honestly say getting my dentures was the best thing I've ever done..short of taking care of my real teeth..which it was far too late to do. :redface:
Be patient with yourself..it does take time to get used to them. I'm a firm believer in mind over matter though and believe a person can do anything they put their mind to. Those early days were sometimes a challenge..and some things (like the excess drool!) were pretty annoying. But keep your eye on the prize..a wonderful smile! Nothing like it. ;D Good luck!!

BTW, got my stitches out of my gum (from previous post) and everything is healed up now. Thank goodness. :)

Hi TW!

Great to see you are still here and things are going good ;D

Hi Chrissie! Yep, I'm still around when I get time. Seems like since I got my new smile I'm out and about more..no longer embarrassed to talk to people. :) Hope things are going good for you to.

HAPPY 1st BIRTHDAY TO MY NEW SMILE!! ;D

Cannot believe one year ago today I was walking into my oral surgeons office for my extractions and new immediate dentures. It's been quite a year..and one of the best of my life!

Hi Letha, just wanted to pop by and say hello:)Hope you are well.

Hi Gummy! I'm doing great. Hope you are to! :)

Back