• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

TerrifiedWoman's Journal/Journey

god i dont know wat i will do right now and im so sad :cry::cry:

Congratulations!!!!:cheers:
2 years ago, I felt the same way. I didn't go to the dentist in over 20 years. I had a lot of decay and was embarassed to open my mouth for the doctor (same like you). I told them of my intense fear and they were so nice and reassuring. They weren't in the least bit judgmental or preachy.....the doctor just said this is where you are and this is how we are going to fix it.
I felt so proud of myself (I still do).
I'm still undergoing dental treatment. I can't say I'm completely OVER my fear, (especially if I'm undergoing a new procedure), but that fear is manageable. I can sit in the "chair" and NOT feel my heart racing.
I'm telling you all this to give you hope. You CAN do this!!!
You should be proud!!!
Looking forward to hearing more of your story,
Jen

Yes, IV sedation is GREAT. I had my 9 teeth extracted with IV sedation 2 years ago and I have been singing it's praises ever since!!
I have to admit that impressions are not my favorite. They put this goop on some kind of tray, stick in your mouth, and then you wait until the goop dries a bit and then they take it out. It's not painful, it's just a weird sensation. If you have any problems with gagging, you might have trouble with it.....just let your dentist know beforehand.
:hug2:,
Jen

Yep, not really looking forward to the impressions. I'll be like a cat with a fur ball. :giggle:

I've wanted a small tattoo on my ankle for YEARS..but never really knew what I wanted..until yesterday. Today I went and got my tattoo..on the inside of my left ankle. It's the Chinese symbol for......strong. Because after yesterday, I feel like I really am. Now when I start feeling afraid, I'll just look at my ankle and tell myself it will be okay.

You go girl!!!

I think I need to change my name from "TerrifiedWoman" to "ApprehensiveWoman". LOL! I feel like that first appointment..being such a HUGE step for me..has gotten me past the terror. But I'm still apprehensive..which I suppose is normal when you're going into the unknown. I just have SO MANY questions running through my head. Will everyone I meet be able to tell I have dentures? (Obviously people I already know will..but that's okay..it's better than rotten teeth!) Will I be able to eat all my favorite foods? Will they go flying when I cough or sneeze!? :o Biggest question in my mind though..what will I look like?? :confused: My teeth have been SO bad for SO long I guess I've just gotten used to them..disgusting as that is. I NEVER smile in public..never laugh without hiding my mouth. Sometimes I wonder if I'll even remember it's OKAY to smile with the new teeth. :(

ha that name sounds cool but yea just take it one step at a time evrything will be answerd wit time :hug2:

I think I need to change my name from "TerrifiedWoman" to "ApprehensiveWoman". LOL! I feel like that first appointment..being such a HUGE step for me..has gotten me past the terror. But I'm still apprehensive..which I suppose is normal when you're going into the unknown. I just have SO MANY questions running through my head. Will everyone I meet be able to tell I have dentures? (Obviously people I already know will..but that's okay..it's better than rotten teeth!) Will I be able to eat all my favorite foods? Will they go flying when I cough or sneeze!? :o Biggest question in my mind though..what will I look like?? :confused: My teeth have been SO bad for SO long I guess I've just gotten used to them..disgusting as that is. I NEVER smile in public..never laugh without hiding my mouth. Sometimes I wonder if I'll even remember it's OKAY to smile with the new teeth. :(

Your questions are very similar to my questions :)And the biggie is indeed what will I look like ? This one thing alone is HUGE for me as I know I am slightly different from a lot on here as I have had no immediates.That will be almost 3 months from extractions to getting my new gnashers (husbands name for them are railings :ROFLMAO: ) I was trying to voice my fears to him last night but he didn't seem that interested :(.

Gummy, I find myself standing in front of a mirror smiling a big smile and trying to picture new teeth. :) Isn't really working. :( Maybe I need to Photoshop a pic of myself with different teeth. :giggle:
Sorry your husband doesn't seem interested. I really haven't talked to mine all that much about this. I've just always kept my teeth woes to myself I guess. I did give him the link to my journal though.

Tomorrow afternoon is my first appointment with the oral surgeon. Going for a consultation (ugh..have to open my mouth for ANOTHER dentist!) and an estimate on cost. Insurance will only pay $1500..so this is going to get expensive. Thank goodness I have a husband who understands..and has a decent job! Little nervous about the appointment tomorrow..mainly just because I don't know this dentist at all. The one I went to Friday assured me everyone up there is very nice and will treat me well..so I hope they are right. Appointment isn't until 3pm, so will have to sit here and think about it all day.:(

:XXLhug:yu can do this yu got in the bag so keep me updated im here if yu need reasurance ill thinking of yu when im at work tomarrow at 2 p.m:XXLhug:

Hope it goes ok x

Hope your appointment goes well :XXLhug:.In total I opened my mouth for 3 different dentists, can't say it gets easier as I don't think it does, perhaps our coping strategies change, more :XXLhug:.

Surprised myself and slept really well last night. (I hardly slept at all before the last appointment!) Only thing was, I had a really awful dream. I dreamed that we had to sell our home to pay for all my dental stuff and moved into a really horrible tiny apartment full of roaches and ants! (I have an issue with ants..so guess that's why they were there with the roaches. :giggle: )
Okay, I'm sure it won't get THAT bad.......

Keeping busy today until it's time to leave. Already did a three mile walk (do that every morning) and now have the laundry going. Figure if I keep busy I won't start stressing..... :(

TERRIFIED WOMAN....I am so looking forward to your next posting...We're all so proud for you..
Marcelle

Thanks Marcelle. Almost time to get dressed and head that way. Not really scared..it's just a consultation. But certainly a tad anxious. Just hate opening my mouth AGAIN for somebody I don't know. :(
Will be back later to let everyone know how it went.

Good luck, TW! Will be thinking about you and hope everything goes well!

I did it! ;D Opening my big mouth for this second dentist (oral surgeon) was actually a lot easier for me. I just sat down and kicked back and opened up wide. He had a look about and made lots of notes....and I'm now scheduled for my extractions on July 7th at 9:45am. Have to call my regular dentist and tell them I'm scheduled so we can get on the ball getting my new teeth made!!
The oral surgeon was very nice and didn't even scare me. (My blood pressure was only 148/80..which is amazing for me at a DENTISTS office!!) He explained the entire procedure to me and answered all my questions. I'll be having the IV sedation and he promised I won't remember a thing. He's going to give me something to help me sleep the night before, as well as Valium to take about 90 minutes before my appointment. Only part that scared me was the price of all this.....and that wasn't even counting my impressions and dentures I get from the other dentist. Wow..my mouth is going to be worth more than my car! :(
Hubby made me feel good. He's working out of state today and called me a while ago to ask how things went. He's such a sweetheart. :XXLhug:

Going to relax this evening and continue to feel proud of myself. :) THANK-YOU for all the support..it means SO much!!

:jump:

Thats great, I'm so happy that you are managing to get through this. You must feel like a huge weight is finally being lifted from your shoulders.

Way to go!

Glad you managed to get through it TW:jump::jump::jump:.Well done, you deserve to feel proud :XXLhug:.

Back