• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

TerrifiedWoman's Journal/Journey

Glad it went well :jump:

:jump:

Thats great, I'm so happy that you are managing to get through this. You must feel like a huge weight is finally being lifted from your shoulders.

Way to go!

That's exactly how I feel! As nervous as I get, I'm still so excited about the prospect of being able to SMILE at people for the first time in many, many years without quickly closing my mouth out of embarrassment. I think that is starting to become stronger than my fear.
Although I admit my heart was beating pretty fast when I walked into that surgeons office. :redface:

Thanks Gummy and Chrissie!! :XXLhug:

Moving along..have my next appointment with the dentist for impressions next Friday, May 28th. They said if they get a cancellation before that they will call me to see if I can make it earlier. Want to be sure we get my new chompers ready by July 7th when the old ones come out! The dentist goes on vacation for a while in June..so we gotta get this taken care of ASAP!
Not really scared about the impressions..but not really looking forward to it. I hear it's yucky. :(
PhotoShopped a picture of myself with beautiful teeth yesterday..just to get an idea what I might look like. I'm not going to recognize myself..... :p

After what you've been through, the impressions are a mere annoyance!!!
Your NEW name should BRAVEwoman!!!
See, I told you....every step into a dentist's office gets a little easier!!!
:hug2:,
Jen

Ahhh, thank-you Jen! I'm not sure I could have taken that first step had I not found this forum and read for hours. But you're right, once you take it, things get easier each time. :XXLhug:

Having one of those days when I question this whole process. I'm sure that's normal though. I know it's something I have to do, but for some reason today I've had all sorts of weird questions come to mind. What if the new dentures don't fit at all? What if they make me look really odd? What if I can't learn to talk clearly..or eat? :( What if I wish I had my old, ugly teeth back because at least they're what I know.........?

Having one of those days when I question this whole process. I'm sure that's normal though. I know it's something I have to do, but for some reason today I've had all sorts of weird questions come to mind. What if the new dentures don't fit at all? What if they make me look really odd? What if I can't learn to talk clearly..or eat? :( What if I wish I had my old, ugly teeth back because at least they're what I know.........?

These thoughts are normal, Your denture should fit well after the extractions, but over time your gum will shrink, and the denture will get loose, which can be fixed by a simple soft realign. Then eventually a hard realign or a new denture impression will be made after 6 to 12 months.

I had my soft realign after 2 1/2 months. It still fits decently snug .Soon i will be going for a hard realign.

I thought the same thing, about talking, with them out, i do talk funny, but with them in i talk normal.

As far as eating, you will be on soft diet foods for a few months. Eventually you will want to taste your normal foods you are use to eating.

It was almost a month and a half i was able to start eating normal foods such as steak/chicken etc..But i had to use denture adhesive to keep them in.

Believe me your new denture will look great, and you will NOT want those old teeth back..

Good luck

:thumbsup:

Thanks Gummin. I know you're right. And I know most everyone here who has been through this has had the same doubts. I do look forward to having a beautiful smile..it's been a long, long time. :)

Your new teeth won't make you look odd TW, they will just make you look slightly different but in a good way , many , many :XXLhug: hun as you are feeling how I've felt, do still feel at times.If I'm honest I am secretly pooping myself for all my excited squeekings to close family (hubby especially).I am so nervous he won't like me with my new teeth:cry:I'm getting them Thursday and that 1st reveal to hubby is making my stomach churn over.Plus as soon as I get them in I need to pick my son up from school, so I need to see people :o But the timing for me is good as the kids will be on holiday straight after so I will have just over a week indoors to get used to them.I'm just worried about talking with them:giggle:.

Ahhhh GM, know what you mean about showing the hubby. Mine will be with me the day of my extractions and since I'm getting the immediate dentures he'll see me as soon as I walk out of the room. Going to be very odd..most likely for both of us. :(

Good luck Thursday! :XXLhug:

In some ways I think that might have been easier. He's had to get used to me with no teeth and now he needs to get used to me with teeth:giggle:!:giggle:!
I'm worried about the kids too, how they will react and rather bizarrely my cats:o:ROFLMAO::o We have recently had a young cat adopt us and she has only known me with no teeth, how silly am I :redface:?

LOL Gummy..I totally understand. I have a Labrador Retriever that notices EVERYTHING. She's probably going to stare at me for days.

Okay..time is flying. Impressions are Friday! Not looking forward to that..but not in a panic. (yet) I can do this. I can do this. :hidesbehindsofa:

Had my appointment rescheduled to Thursday..so got it over with a day early. Honestly, it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. No gagging at all. :)

Had to have one tooth pulled, but with the nitrous I was so high I didn't even care. Didn't feel the needle and only felt a little tug when he pulled the tooth. The impressions didn't take long at all. The worst part was when he took them out and it felt like every tooth in my mouth was going to come out with the impression! (None of them did!)

Think I'm done now until July 7th..E-day. :(

Still slightly over a month until "E-day"..but I found myself picking up things I would be able to eat/drink at the grocery yesterday. I already have a good selection of flavored applesauce, puddings, and even a couple of 4-packs of Special K Protein Shakes..in vanilla and chocolate! It's going to be a little tricky for me as I am on a salt restricted diet, which pretty much rules out most canned soups.

Last edited:
33 more days until "E-Day". :( Was in a store yesterday, browsing the denture supplies section. SO many different pastes and cleaners and powders to pick from. They should sell all this stuff in 'sample' sizes for us newbies. There were two other women browsing the same items and I kept wanting to say "May I see your dentures?"..but figured that wasn't such a good idea. :redface:

It's weird..I'm actually sort of looking forward to getting this over with now. I look at myself in the mirror and break out in a big smile.....which at the moment would scare the hair off a cat. But I try to imagine what that smile will look like in a little over a month when it's straight, and white, and ALL the 'teeth' are actually there. :yay:

Less than 4 weeks to go to "e-day" now. :(

Am I wrong to want to keep this mostly to myself and immediate family? (husband, mother, sister, best friend) I know there's no shame in having dentures..but had hoped to keep it quiet..at least until it's done, when people will obviously notice.
I've discovered my mother has been telling pretty much anyone that cares to listen that I'm getting my teeth pulled and getting dentures. Was not happy with her today when she casually informed me she'd been discussing it with our HAIRDRESSER. Great..why not just put it in the newspaper!? :shame:
I informed her I would have preferred to keep it quiet and wasn't aware that I had needed to TELL her that. Too late now..........

Not very happy........ :shame:

Hi TW, I felt exactly the same.When my husband told a close friend of his what I was having done I was mortified, absolutely mortified!!! But from telling him I found out his wifes mum had had a full set of dentures for the past 20+ years so she was very sympathetic although she couldn't really answer my questions as things were done differently(I think) back then.

Thanks Gummy..good to know I'm not alone. I can't understand why she felt the need to start telling everyone..just felt like that was my decision to make when I wanted to. Especially with my hairdresser! I'd planned to just walk into the salon and give them a big smile...and now the surprise is ruined.
Oh well......guess it will still be a bit of a surprise (shock!) to see me with nice teeth. Must stay positive! :)

Back