• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

TerrifiedWoman's Journal/Journey

I wanted to make a post on your journal and even though I am not sure if you check in very often or not, if you do then at least you will know that I give you my gratitude and sincere thanks, for over a year almost two years I followed your journal, even though I never made a post, I was too petrified to even talk about teeth to anyone. As I read each posting of your experiences you went through I felt a little bit stronger, till finally I was able to make an appt. with a dentist and to post on this site and have found such warm and supportive people. On Monday the 9th I will have my teeth extracted( except for 6 on the lower) and will get immediate dentures. I wish I could be totally put out but I can't but will be given Valium so I really hope it works, well anyway I just wanted to let you know it was your courage and how I could relate with how you felt, that made me have enough courage to get to the point I am at. You truly are a very big blessing. I wish you all the best and pray you have found smiles and some laughter once again in your life. God Bless

First, thank-you bisja for the kind words. You don't know how good it made me feel to know that my journal helped someone else. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to read it.

Needless to say, my life has changed a lot in the past 18 months. I've adjusted to once more being classified as a "single" lady. Yes, I still miss my husband every day, but I've managed to learn to do things for myself and know he would be extremely proud of the independant woman I've become. I've learned it's true..you CAN do anything you need to do if you just believe you can! And we're ALL stronger than we give ourselves credit for. I guess I learned those lessons in part while going through my dental woes..never realizing I'd need to apply them to my life in general.

To all my old friends here, I hope you're doing well. To anyone new who just happens to browse my journal, I wish you the strength and courage to get that beautiful smile you deserve. God Bless and take care.
Letha.......no longer a 'Terrified Woman'

I have read your whole journal!!!!You are an amazing woman!!! I'm happy to hear you have come a long way and can take care of everything that comes your way!I really missed reading your posts..Maybe you will hang around and keep the rest of us motivated.....Nice to see your post today....

Ahh, thanks. I may just stick around. :)

Nice to see you again.
I am glad to hear that you are doing well
Take care,
Many :grouphug:'s,
Jen

Thanks Jen. I really am doing well..all things considered.

Not sure why, but I just stopped by and looked at my 'before' teeth picture. :o Good Lord, how on earth did I ever allow my teeth to get that bad!?? :faint:

Just read your thread and its given me hope things will get better! Bless you my dear your words will help a lot of people including me! Thank you h

Well, life has once more thrown me a curve. In the past 20 months I lost both my husband and mother.....and last week, my beloved 12 year old Labrador Retriever passed away. I'd like to believe they're all together and watching over me.
On a lighter note..my dentures will celebrate their 3rd birthday tomorrow! Where did the time go??? SO..to reward them for giving me a smile worth sharing..I'm taking them on a well deserved vacation and allowing them to eat whatever they want. :giggle:

I am sorry to hear about your dog, you do right in taking your teeth and letting them eat whatever they want. I hope in time you can keep smiling :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Thanks Carole. I know my hubby, Mom and dog would want me to be happy. I have to do things for all four of us now. :XXLhug:

Sincere condolences on the death of your dog TW.
I can truly empathise as my animals are also very dear to me.
I have just sat and read your entire journal as I am sitting here off work feeling somewhat sorry for myself after having my 6 remaining lower teeth extracted yesterday and an immediate denture in. I have some pain and swelling but it's not so much that as the denture feels so alien and digging in the floor of my mouth. I have tried to develop the mindset that this is just the start of my journey and it will be worth it. I go tomorrow to have my 6 remaining upper teeth removed and an immediate denture in.

Your story has reassured me immensley and totally inspired me that I have embarked on the right journey, so thank you so much for sharing your experience and that you continue to do so and be so encouraging, despite your difficult time of losses over the last year and a half.

Thankyou

Hang in there, Munchie. It gets better..I promise. I so well remember how scared I was going into this journey..but I don't regret it AT ALL. Hard to belive I just passed 3 years with my dentures. The time has flown by.

On a happier note..I went to the animal shelter and adopted a 9 week old kitten. She looked so sad sitting in the cage. She needed me..and I needed her. Some days I think I'd have been wiser to adopt an adult instead of this ball of energy.....but I keep telling myself she'll grow up before I know it. (I hope! LOL!)

Sincere condolences on the death of your dog TW.
I can truly empathise as my animals are also very dear to me.
I have just sat and read your entire journal as I am sitting here off work feeling somewhat sorry for myself after having my 6 remaining lower teeth extracted yesterday and an immediate denture in. I have some pain and swelling but it's not so much that as the denture feels so alien and digging in the floor of my mouth. I have tried to develop the mindset that this is just the start of my journey and it will be worth it. I go tomorrow to have my 6 remaining upper teeth removed and an immediate denture in.

Your story has reassured me immensley and totally inspired me that I have embarked on the right journey, so thank you so much for sharing your experience and that you continue to do so and be so encouraging, despite your difficult time of losses over the last year and a half.

Thankyou

Forgot to mention..my dentures quite enjoyed their vacation..and so did I! Spent ten glorious days in Hawaii with my sister. Didn't want to come home..but couldn't afford to stay any longer! :giggle:

Hi Terrified!!! Long time no chit chat. I dropped off the forum a little over 3 years ago!! Well, I am BACK.

Still loving my top dentures ;D. Going in about 4 weeks for my lowers to get done. I only have 9 teeth to be extracted and immediate!! Not as scared this time, however, I worry about the lowers not fitting as easy as the uppers!

How are you? How are you loving your teeth??:grin:

Hey Ambersue! Sorry it took me a while to find this. Guess I really should stop in more often, huh? Guess by now you've gotten the lowers done. How are you doing? Lowers are a little trickier to get used to. At least they were for me. Oddly enough I've never had to get mine relined..and it's been almost 4 years now. (Jeez, where does the time go!?)
Figured I'd stop in and do an update for anyone that wonders where I've gone. Life's good.... :)

Hi Terrified!!! Long time no chit chat. I dropped off the forum a little over 3 years ago!! Well, I am BACK.

Still loving my top dentures ;D. Going in about 4 weeks for my lowers to get done. I only have 9 teeth to be extracted and immediate!! Not as scared this time, however, I worry about the lowers not fitting as easy as the uppers!

How are you? How are you loving your teeth??:grin:

Nothing better to do today, so decided to stop by the old forum and say hello. Not even sure at this point how many of the folks I chatted with 4 years ago are still around. If you are and see this..hello! :waves:

Can't believe my dentures will soon be celebrating their 4th 'birthday'. Gosh it doesn't seem that long since I was terrified at the thought of stepping foot in a dentist's office. Time does fly! I was flattered to find a wonderful private message today from someone who found their own courage to see a dentist after reading my journal. That truly makes me so happy. I remember the first time I came here and started reading and was amazed to find I really wasn't alone in my fears. Knowing you're not the only one can really help, so for that I thank the people who run this place!! :respect:

I took my second trip to Hawaii in April this year. I never in a million zillion years could have done that before getting my dentures. (Honestly, I didn't do much of ANYTHING except hide in the house before getting my dentures. I was FAR too embarrassed to be seen.) I've already made reservations for trip #3 next Spring.
My kitten I mentioned last time I posted is now a year old and keeps me busy. She's a sweetie and I'm glad I got her. Of course I still miss my husband, who has been gone almost 3 years now. Nope, not dating. Honestly have no desire to. At this point in my life I'm just doing all the things I always wanted to do, but was afraid to with my old teeth. Guess you could say I'm cramming about 56 years of living into however many more I have left. ;) I'm attaching a picture of myself that was taken in Hawaii. (I cropped my sister out..don't think she likes being on the internet much!)

Guess I've chattered on long enough. Thanks to everyone who gave me courage during my time here..and thank-you to those who found their courage through my journal. Don't be afraid to find your smile!

Attachments

• luau 001.jpg
    luau 001.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 65
Hello I remember you coming on here, I joined after you but I did follow your thread and it is really nice to see you here again. I like your photo too, I am glad that you are enjoying your life and I am impressed that you have started to travel, it looks lovely where you were.

All the best to you :perfect::butterfly:

Carole, Hawaii is GORGEOUS!! I truly believe everyone really needs to visit there at least once in their lifetime. My favorite island is Maui, but they are all beautiful. Maui just seems to have the right pace for me..slow and relaxed. :)

My son was there last year and he loved it, he loved the pace and the weather of course. He said it is so hospitable and the people are lovely :butterfly:

Back